Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There :wave:
My name is Zora and I am Princess's momma. We live in Petaluma CA. Princess was born in mexico and smuggled over the border along with twenty other puppies by the family I bought her from. I took her to the vet the day after I brought her home. They though she was ok aside from a case of tapeworm. She was so tiny! I Think she weighed about 12 ounces and she was 10 weeks old. I got medicine for her for that and immediately she started getting diarrhea. She was also not very active and wasn't eating much at all. Two days later I took her to a vet recommended to me by a girlfriend who had an older chi. He did a stool sample and determined she had roundworm as well as tapeworm. Again I got medicine. I was really starting to get concerned because she was getting progressively worse. She has such expressive eyes and every time she would look up at me I felt like she was pleading with me to help her. That weekend she would perk up for a couple of minutes and then becoming totally lethargic. I made several calls to the vet but they said to just let the medicine kick in and she would get better. Sunday morning I woke up to her passed out with her eyes slightly rolled back and her body so cold it was stiff. I couldn't see her breathing or feel her heart beat. I rushed her to the vet and they basically brought her back to life. For about a week it was touch and go. The vets weren't too sure what her fate would be. She was transfered from one hospital to another to another. Her medical bills were mounting, she had an IV catheter in her little neck and the vets still didn't know what was causing it. She looked soooo miserable! I would drive up to see her as often as they would allow me to. Even though the staff was amazing at the emergency hospital I still felt that she would rather be held by me and feel my familiar heartbeat then sit in her kennel and be handled by people she didn't know. Finally the vets found traces of coccidia in her system and began treating her for it immediately. Within a few days I got to bring her home. Her vet bills in the first two weeks that I had her totaled over three thousand dollars but I didn't care because I was in love. That was five months ago and it has been all uphill from there. I didn't know how much my life would change an I feel truly blessed to have her. She is big and healthy and definitely the best thing that ever happened to me. I love this site! I just discovered it the night before last and I'm hooked! Anyhow it's very nice to meet all of you. Take care :)
Oh and we are also registered on dogster here is the link www.dogster.com/?107037
:wave:

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
What a strong little girl you have!!! I'm so happy she got better. She's just adorable! Welcome! :wave:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Hello & Welcome. What a sad beginning for such a darling baby. I am so glad you got her cause it doesn't sound like she might have made it otherswise. She is definitely a cutie and has coloring a lot like my Auggie did as a baby :wave:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
THANK YOU :D
for loving that cutie pie....your an awesome mommie!!!

WELCOME glad to have you here :wave:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys for responding!

All of your babies are adorable! I love looking at the pics of all the chis. And Scooby and Princess look as though they could have been siblings. She is getting quite a bit darker as she gets older though. She was a blonde color but now I guess you'd call her tan? And it's strange but the tip of her little nose keeps getting lighter and lighter. I wonder if thats normal. Here is an updated pic of Princess now. (all three pounds of her) Take Care :wave:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Hello and Welcome :hello2:

Glad you found us!

What a sweet heart! Poor thing, she had such a miserable start in life, soooo glad she is all better now. Thanks for taking such good care of her!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts