Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soon going to be getting a chi puppy (just posted in the newbie forum). I have been reading a lot around here and am just trying to wrap my head around the whole pee pad thing.

I have house trained a few adult dogs who never lived inside and my dog has not had an accident in the house since day 4, so I am not too worried about housetraining. On this forum though, many people seem to use pee pads. Is there a particular reason for using them with chi's that I am missing? It seems like they are most useful for people who work all day or live in very cold climates where they can't get the dog out when they need to go.

I work from home, so I can take the puppy out as often as needed. We are also prepared to wake up in the middle of the night for the first several months.

I don't want to not pee pad train the puppy if there is a reason for it, but I am just trying to wrap my head around teaching the dog to go inside when my previous goal of housetraining has been to NEVER give the dog the opportunity to pee inside.

Thanks ahead of time for the advise guys!

·
Registered
873 Posts
My Daisy is pee pad trained. We find it's just a lot more convenient. We also don't have an enclosed garden, so I'd have to get her on her lead and harness all while she's waiting to go. This way, she goes whenever she needs to, she won't have to go in the snow in winter, and I don't have to watch out for when she needs to go.

I guess it's just down to whatever works best for you. Pee pads just worked for us.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Bijoux is piddle pad trained because i'm in school and working so can e gone for hours some days. It's not fair to ask that little bladder to wait.

Also i'm in an apartment so no yard here! She still walks daily but now they aren't on a schedule they are when were ready to just go enjoy a walk together. I don't know how she will be in the snow but I don't think she will have any issues honestly.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
My Daisy is pee pad trained. We find it's just a lot more convenient. We also don't have an enclosed garden, so I'd have to get her on her lead and harness all while she's waiting to go. This way, she goes whenever she needs to, she won't have to go in the snow in winter, and I don't have to watch out for when she needs to go.

I guess it's just down to whatever works best for you. Pee pads just worked for us.
Charlotte's words are mine exactly!! There are plenty here who do not pad train. In fact, I sort of thought those of us who did were the minority.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
As everyone has said. It's easier for certain lifestyles. And there's no harm in it. Mine use
To use them but I've trained them to always go outside snow or sun. And they're fine :) x

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
My dogs are pee pad trained,but they still potty on walks every day. I don't want to lock them up when I am gone so I pad trained them. It was hard for both dogs.... Neither really "got it" until 6 months. Lion is totally accident free now(1 year old), Penny has an accident now and then (7 months old).

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Chis pee sooo often as puppies, and they typically don't like cold or wet weather. So puppy pad training is far easier in my opinion. And if you work or aren't home all day, a chis bladder is so tiny, they cannot hold it while you are gone.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I Pee pad trained Amberleah, it is easier for me, because I live in the middle of Manisttee Forest and lots of prey birds and other wide Animals, I am home all day as I don't work out side the home. Plus it gets very cold here and snow very deep. I just think it is safer for her.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Where are you from. If you live where there are eagles, hawks, coyottes I would be very carefull of letting your little one outside off leash. That is how I lost my sweet Roxy and that is why I use the Ugodog system. But Zoey goes out for a walk every day about 530 to poo and is never off leash in my yard.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am actually hawk paranoid, I already bought covered play pens for camping and agility trials. We know someone who does surveys of birds for the audubon society, he says there are no birds of prey to worry about in the middle of Las Vegas, so that makes me feel better.

I also feel like we actually might be fine in the backyard due to our current situation-
We live in the desert, and due to the ridiculous heat we have an overhang over almost the entire backyard (it is not very big). And on top of that we have had a big problem with dog thefts in my area. With my other dog looking like a very expensive, often stolen breed, he is never in the backyard without me there. We don't have a dog door, and literally I sit out there with my lap top so he can hang out in the yard (I say yard, it is really just a small patch of concrete and rocks).

My plan was already to start with the puppy only on leash in the backyard and see how it goes, perhaps letting him/her off once he was an adult, depending on how big he got.

Is there a generally accepted weight line between what a hawk would pick up, and what they would not?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Im not sure from a wild animal danger point of view but I think if you cant think of a reason to pad train your pup then dont do it! It is much better for them to go outside in ideal circumstances.
Mine are pad trained coz Im a worrier!!:rolleyes: Currently they have a dog flap into their run and are let out into the garden a few times a day, plus a couple of walks. However when Im working I might be out for 13 hours which is too long if I ever have to shut the dog flap on them. Luckily I only work 2 nights a week and its usually 8 hrs but i prefer knowing that if they have to be kept in for safety they will be ok with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts