Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I called today to see about the converting classes.

Oh my gosh - all I have to say.

I have to go get registered for them in July, they begin in September - it's EVERY Monday evening September through EASTER with two "day field trips" - what could I possibly need a field trip for!?

The real "kicker" is that I have to have a sponsor to attend every meeting with me. Where am I going to find someone with no life that is dying to come with me every Monday for two hours?

Sorry, end rant. Had to get it out. BF thinks it's hilarious because he did all his well before "classes" were around.

When we announce it to his family i'm going to listen very closely to see if this is something they would really appreciate or if i'm tormenting myself unnecessarily lol.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh sorry ladies thought I included that.

My boyfriends family, while not entirely active, are Catholic and I was brought up with no faith so in order to have our marriage recognized they only marry their own, unless you promise to bring up your children Catholic which I don't 100% agree with contracting my unborn children.

We haven't told them the news yet, hopefully they'll say something along the lines of "psh don't bother we'll call the judge" but I know they do Godparents and Baptisms and all that misc misc

UGH!

And it doesn't help i'm trying to explain all this to my mom (Long distance over the phone is fun,) who isn't particularly religious but was baptized LDS and generally is pretty suspicious of all this.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Hmm well good luck with those classes ;)
I don't get why they wouldn't accept you unless you convert to catholicism. It seems so pushy. But I don't know much about being catholic, none in the family we're all methodist.
I don't think you should convert to a religion unless you want to worship that way, not because you want to marry someone who is.
Hope things work out the way you want them to. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm well good luck with those classes ;)
I don't get why they wouldn't accept you unless you convert to catholicism. It seems so pushy. But I don't know much about being catholic, none in the family we're all methodist.
I don't think you should convert to a religion unless you want to worship that way, not because you want to marry someone who is.
Hope things work out the way you want them to. :)
And I agree, it's very VERY pushy. Part of me feels bad because I have little intention of worship, however I weighed it and I would feel worse pushing something - I myself am not even a part of on my children, or even worse signing the paperwork (yes there is paperwork) saying i'd raise them Catholic and then don't.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that his parents don't have an opinion.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Oh sorry ladies thought I included that.

My boyfriends family, while not entirely active, are Catholic and I was brought up with no faith so in order to have our marriage recognized they only marry their own, unless you promise to bring up your children Catholic which I don't 100% agree with contracting my unborn children.

We haven't told them the news yet, hopefully they'll say something along the lines of "psh don't bother we'll call the judge" but I know they do Godparents and Baptisms and all that misc misc

UGH!

And it doesn't help i'm trying to explain all this to my mom (Long distance over the phone is fun,) who isn't particularly religious but was baptized LDS and generally is pretty suspicious of all this.

Wow!
YMMV but I am considered "Catholic" (albeit not practicing :)

I'm confused why can you not just have a *normal* wedding outside the church? I did this with my first husband as he had no real religion! :lol:

Are you hung up on the Catholic thing?
My current husband was also baptized Catholic (He's Irish/Swedish) We did not adhere to anything church related since it does not apply to us and had a lovely marriage not within the church.

Explore your options! you are in the USA. we are Canadian it's not that different!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
oh gosh! that sounds like a pain in the bottom! i hope you find someone to come withyou every week x

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow!
YMMV but I am considered "Catholic" (albeit not practicing :)

I'm confused why can you not just have a *normal* wedding outside the church? I did this with my first husband as he had no real religion! :lol:

Are you hung up on the Catholic thing?
My current husband was also baptized Catholic (He's Irish/Swedish) We did not adhere to anything church related since it does not apply to us and had a lovely marriage not within the church.

Explore your options! you are in the USA. we are Canadian it's not that different!
I definitely am Kitty, i've called a handful of churches here in town and that's the general consensus but I am going to ask when we announce it because I KNOW there has to be a rogue in-law somewhere that wasn't and see how they handled it. It's "not important" to him so he says, but i'm not going to make a deicision till I see what the verdict is. Normal wedding sounds nice :D

oh gosh! that sounds like a pain in the bottom! i hope you find someone to come withyou every week x
Haha, at this point getting myself to commit to every monday is going to be a feat it and of itself!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Well tell your future MIL that if its important you be "Catholic" and that your marriage be recognized by the Catholic church, she better get ready for the damn classes coz she better go with you!

TBH I'd just get married in a regular church or not in a church at all if I were you. But the problem is now you seemed willing to give donuts...everything else will seem like cheerios :(

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Well tell your future MIL that if its important you be "Catholic" and that your marriage be recognized by the Catholic church, she better get ready for the damn classes coz she better go with you!

TBH I'd just get married in a regular church or not in a church at all if I were you. But the problem is now you seemed willing to give donuts...everything else will seem like cheerios :(

I agree - if my future in-laws felt it was important then one of them would be my class buddy - or can your fiance be your buddy and go with you? And the part about signing papers saying you will bring your children up as Catholic.... Well, it's not a legal document - they can't make you do so if you don't really want to no matter if you sign papers or not. Sorry but I think if a religion wants you to do all this it seems pretty strange to me.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha, well that's about what i'm at.

Oddly enough a lady crossed me today who mentioned (how random) that her husband is Jewish and she is Catholic and there is something I can do that i'm going to check into to hopefully pass over the who classes bs.

And yes, i'm in agreement 100% that it's incredibly strange.

Like I said, i'm not SURE if it is important to his family in that way as we haven't announced to them yet, but if it turns out to be then yes - someone is getting dragged with and if not, we'll have the cocktail wedding I had imagined :hello1:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
very pushy especially in this day and age, but I guess for he right guy its all worth it

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
very pushy especially in this day and age, but I guess for he right guy its all worth it
Yeah, we've been together 4 years, living together for 3 of them and by time we get married it'll be almost 6 so I think we've gotten most everything worked out haha.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts