Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2 month old Chihuahua puppy and she isn't potty trained. Since I go to high school I can't be home all day to walk her and don't want to hire a dog walker. So I decided to pad train her and take her on a walk when I can. My friend does the same with their 5 year old Yorkie and he never has an accident! my question is: what's your advice on pad training? And: is it a big problem I can't be home all day to train and watch her? :/

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

Premium Member
If there's nobody at home all day ,i think you may have a problem with an 8 week old puppy,training is all about them learning right from wrong and it takes a lot of time,can't you get somebody to pop in during the day to make sure she's ok etc she's very young to be left all day at 8 weeks

Registered
I wish you could buy a puppy playpen or exercise pen. You could have pee pads down, or use washable pads. Toys, food, and water. She'd be safe, and you wouldn't have to worry about her. 8 hours is a long time though. Good luck.

Registered
Pee pad training, in my opinion is fine. I trained Angel on pads and have just decided to take them away two weeks ago, but he is 21 months old.

Eight weeks (2 months) is quite young to be left alone all day. Is there no one home to watch her during the day?

I have a question and I certainly don't mean to sound offensive in anyway, but why did you get such a young puppy while you are not home to care for it? I don't have a problem with people having a dog that have to leave it home 8 hours or so, but two months is just a baby! Even four more months make such a difference!

Susan's suggestion about a play pen is an excellent idea. she will also feel safer. Maybe someone can spend an hour a day with her in the middle of the day. You also have to consider her feeding schedule. Small chis can be subject to hypoglycemia. Young puppies news to eat 3 times a day.

I hope everything works out for you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for you suggestions everyone I will definitely look into a play pen. For now I lock her in my room (which is fairly small). she's been home for 2 days already and she's doing great. She always has food and water available and has been peeing/pooping on her pads. I know it was a bad decision to get her now and not in the summer but so far she is doing good. She is taking vitamins (which is mostly sugar) to prevent hypo glychemia and we took her to the vet today and everything is good :) but the playpen is definitely something I will invest in because she's too young to stay in a crate for that long.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.