Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

My two dogs keep weeing all over the house! I dont no if its both of them or just one but its annoying us all now :(

When im at my bfs on the weekend I take both dogs and generally take them out once at about 12pm and then at about 7 pm and thats it.
He doesnt have a garden so I have to walk them.
And they never have accidents in his house! They might have in past but very very rarely.

Now the problem is once back home.

I have a garden and their et out into the garden every few hours,so their actually outside alot more at home than at my bfs but somehow they always have accidents at mine:S
Sometimes we can go weeks without accidents and I think their doing good but lately they have been naughty and have accidents alot more.

Bruiser keeps marking the stair banister rail and one of them keeps peeing on my bed,I've changed it tonight and they have just had a huge walk and already someones pee'd on my bed!And my mum is sick of finding poo on the top of her stairs.

They just do really good for a week and then suddenly back to square one.
Its not a problem with them not going outside enough as they can go all weekend with only two trips outside and not have an accident then at home go out 100's of times and have lots of accidents.

And our house is super clean so its not like their smelling their old scents.I really dont want to make them sleep in downstairs I love them in my bed but I'm sick of changing my bed everyday lol

Advice xx

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
It sounds like, for whatever reason, they have come to understand that they may NOT potty in your boyfriend's house, but that don't have that same understanding about your house. At your house, it sounds like they pee when they need to, and if they happen to be outside, fine, but if not, oh well.

Have you cleaned up every spot with an enzyme cleaner? Even though your house may not smell like pee, THEY can still smell it if the urine hasn't been neutralized with an enzymatic cleaner and it will draw them to that spot to pee again.

You're going to have to start potty training with them from scratch. Do not let them out of your sight. Crate them if you can't watch them. Tether them to you if necessary. Take them out every hour. Do whatever you have to do so that they simply do NOT have accidents inside. They have to get out of the habit, and they have to learn/be taught that inside is NOT the place to potty, and the only way to do that is to be consistent, consistent, CONSISTENT and make absolutely sure they can't ever have an accident inside.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If you don't want to crate them, a playpen works fine too. I firmly agree, do not let them have the opportunity to go inside your house. If they go----its your fault!!! You haven't been watching them ALL the time! If you tether them to you, fine, if not then its in the crate, playpen. Sue Davis

·
Registered
184 Posts
You said that at your boyfriends house you have to walk them because he doesn't have a fence, correct? And at your house they just go out on their own? I wonder if they are going potty when you are with them, but at home they just go outside, run around and then come back inside to potty. Maybe try leash walking them at your house when they go out to potty so you know for sure that they are going.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes at his house I walk them as he doesnt have a fence,I do see them go potty in my garden becuase I stand at the door.The only places they are doing it is on the stairs or my bed(were they sleep) Granted its not all the time they have good spells and then just get lazy.
I'm going to just take them out every hour,and with getting a new pup soon,i'll have to start potty training her so might as well re train these two at the same time.

I have never used an enzyme cleaner?Maybe this is the problem at my bfs house its all wooden floor so no scent for them were as they might be able to smell it on our stairs.I'll give that a try? xx

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Are these dogs neutered? It sounds like 'marking'. The males usually pick a 'spot' or two and only mark there. Belly bands work! Sue Davis

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would explain the boy,marking the banister but dont no why the girl does it.Have gone four days with no accidents.
Our house is three storey(living room on middle floor) so we dont lock them downstairs they just werever. But i've been making sure they go out all the time and watching them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts