Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my chi's are 4 weeks old now when should i start weening them, what should i try feeding them ??

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
When you see Mama weaning the pups then it is time. She will start leaving them for extended periods of time, letting them nurse only for a short time before getting up and eventually she'll snap or growl at them.
I would start off with regular baby food cereal. Then to a weaning formula (there are a couple out there) then to a puppy food. Finally start with a small kibble food if you are going that route.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Personally I would start with finely ground chicken, you can buy it especially for weaning pups. I don't feed carbs or kibble though. It depends what you want them to be eating once fully weaned. 4 weeks is a good time to start, just tiny tastes, they will still be getting most of their nutritional requirements from mum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for the reply's, mom is leaving them alot and getting up and walking away when they are eating, they will be 4 weeks thursday again thank very much i really appreciate this forum

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am 60 years old my wife is 57 kids are all married with kids of their own (22 grand kids) ,my wife and i are already very attatched to our dogs and pups, each one has his/her own personality we have namesfor all of them , they are already responding to their names. it will be very diffilcult to see them go. i already get teary eyd thinking about it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts