Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,Ive been wondering if everyone here uses weepads for there chis or do your chis go out side? I have a big walk in closet for my chis. with weepads laid out all over... My pups like to race in there and drag the pads all over.... Just curious as to what everyone else does...

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I let mine go outside. I don't think I would like using the pads or litter. I know a lot of people on here use them though b/c they either live in an apartment or somewhere where it gets really cold.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no fence right now.. If I ever get one I would let mine out.... but as of now I use the pads.but gets kinda high with so many...when the weather is nice we do take the older pups to the park for walks and they go there also.. but winter is coming...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Pee pads pee pads

In Montreal it gets below 5 billion in the winter.....so, Flea is a pee-pad gal! :)
I have been TRYING to get her to use a litterbox, but it is a slow process!

:)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use both outside and pads. We go outside whenever possible. The pads come in really handy during the night and for those times when I miss his signals to go outside. He's doing very well on the pads or newspaper, doesn't seem to matter which, but he prefers outside.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I live in Ontario and at this time of year I freeze MY butt off after being outside a few minutes, so it definitely wouldn't be fair to have my chi go outside to go to the washroom. She uses pee pads, and although she is only 8 weeks she really gets the hang of them! I'm so proud of her. :D I want to switch to a litterbox soon though because her poop can really stink sometimes. :lol:

·
Registered
996 Posts
My chi Sera cant go up and downstairs, so we have a litter box down here next to my room in her exercise pen, where she has her dishes and a bed as well... and then i take her outside every so often so she gets used to going out there too -- as i will be training her to go outside COMPLETELY after winter passes :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Both of mine use the pads. Puck's got it down finally. Puppy is so-so with them. I have a litterbox I place the pad in. Puck is too lazy to get in it, so I have one sitting next to it as well.

I'm thinking of weaning them over to having litter in the box. I planned to do it a while back with Puck, but I want the puppy to teethe and all before I do it. Puck liked to eat the litter.

I'm also thinking of using a cat litter instead of the paper dog litter...

I would take them outside if I weren't lazy + allergies + asthma... And we have no fence, in addition to living in an apartment that houses other dogs as well as the people down the street letting their dogs run around leashless....

In my view, it's like having a cat since they're so small. And their pee doesn't smell as bad as a cat's. I'm not really fond of letting my animals out ... had too many deaths that way.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Gizmo goes outside and Piper is using wee pads, but eventually she will move to outside too. Right now she's super tiny, and cannot go down stairs yet. Plus, puppies go so often, it's just more practical. I'm pretty fanatical about my house, and I'd rather deal with a few months of pee pads instead of accidents on my carpet. *shudders* We transitioned Gizmo from wee pads to outside and it was pretty easy. Hopefully, when it's time, Piper will just follow her big brother's lead.

·
Registered
889 Posts
zoey uses pee pads.... i dont want to have to make her go out in the cold when winter comes. she shivers when its 50 degrees out. can't imagine what she'd do when it gets to be dead of winter, 6 degrees.... :shock:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:wave: thanks for all the great posts for my question. Im hoping to train my kids to go out side and on weepads... winter is no fun to have to go out to potty.. not for the wee ones. ..and I could never let mine out with out me. and theres no way im going out in the freezing cold and standing around waitting for all my pups to find that just right place. lol.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Outside and PeePads

Dobbie loves to go for his walks, and he will do his "business" while he is out. However, he'll also use his peepads. He's good about that. We had a horrible thunderstorm last night: thank goodness for peepads.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Kurrazie said:
as i will be training her to go outside COMPLETELY after winter passes :D
What about when winter comes again next season, will you have her go inside in the litterbox again? Just curious how it works with those of you up north, how you deal with going back and forth between outside in the summer and pads in the winter months. I don't use them, so I don't know much about them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Lola uses wee wee pads while she is at home during the day, and I take her out for a walk (weather permitting...she doesn't like to be cold or wet) when I get home and she goes pee pee outside as well. However, with winter weather arriving here in Ohio...it is really too cold for her already, even in her sweater she shivers as soon as we step outside, so we have had to transition back to nearly 100% wee wee pads.

I have not had any problem with transitioning her from inside to outside and now with the cold weather back to inside again. The wee wee pads I use (Nature's Miracle) are supposed to "smell like grass" which may be what's helping her to transition so easily? Not sure if this is true or just some kind of marketing ploy. I also noticed that the poopy smell depends a lot on what the pup eats....Lola is on royal canin for chihuahuas and her poopy hardly smells at all (of course we flush it as soon as it appears, but you get the idea)

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
mine use wee pads inside when we are at work or in the night and outside when we are home :wave: oh and if its raining they wont go out :lol:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Annabelle - 3 yrs and Cody - 6 mos. are both trained to go outside. Callie - 3 mos. was so small when I got her and she also had Kennel Cough so she is trained to use the puppy pads. As she has gotten bigger and of course healthy, she also goes outside but uses the puppy pads too. The puppy pads are convenient for night time but I really prefer them to be totally trained to go outside. We have pretty mild winters here so weather isn't that much of an issue.

·
Registered
889 Posts
joebeans said:
Kurrazie said:
as i will be training her to go outside COMPLETELY after winter passes :D
What about when winter comes again next season, will you have her go inside in the litterbox again? Just curious how it works with those of you up north, how you deal with going back and forth between outside in the summer and pads in the winter months. I don't use them, so I don't know much about them.
i was thinking the same thing. i'd love for zoey to be able to go both inside and outside-- but i'm not sure how to go about doing that. :roll:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts