Chihuahua People Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
:wave: Wow :!: I like the sound of pads that smell like grass...My pups are eating Ims right now.. I find they pooh alot on it..im going to switch them slowly to predigree.and see if that helps...I still have 2 girls , 6 weeks old coming home soon ,and theyve also been raised on IMS so will do the switch after theyve been here a while..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pookies mom said:
:wave: Wow :!: I like the sound of pads that smell like grass...My pups are eating Ims right now.. I find they pooh alot on it..im going to switch them slowly to predigree.and see if that helps...I still have 2 girls , 6 weeks old coming home soon ,and theyve also been raised on IMS so will do the switch after theyve been here a while..
Yeah...the nature's miracle pads have worked out really well for us, and Lola took to them really quickly. I think that they are very comparable in cost to the other brands especially if you get the 30 pack saver size. The only time we had difficulty was the first time I took her outside to go potty. She just looked up at me with a face that said "you want me to go here????" I finally brought out a wee wee pad and had her go on that outside....then the next day I just stayed out with her until she finally went and praised up to the high heavens, she got the idea after that. Also we use a command word "Lola pee pee" that seems to help, I will ask her if she needs to pee pee inside and she will scamper off to the wee wee pad to do her business.

:pottytrain5: Re: poohing a lot.....Lola only poohs after she eats (2x per day) and they are just tiny little poops. I read that if they are going a lot that means the food is not high quality as it is leaving too much material undigested...I believe I read that in dog training for dummies or maybe it was chihuahuas for dummies :?:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Chili goes outside. I've always had big dogs so training them for outside has always been second-nature. As the mother of a VERY creative 4 year old, there is usually paper of some kind or another on the floor, since we don't want all of Caughner's art work to be made into potties -- we crate and go outdoors.
For all of you who live in colder climates -- it's been my experience (with big dogs, and now with Chili) that the dogs will still go outside in the winter, they're just much quicker about it! This morning, it was about 30 degrees (F) and Chili did his business in about 45 seconds flat (as opposed to his usual 5-20 minute checking for the best spot and rechecking it to make sure it is the best spot routine!)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
:wave: I forgot to say Lola is so darn cute!..., as far as Pooh.I always heard that pedigree. was sapose to have less waste. the less the better for me beings I have so many babys..
I love the story about Chili and the cold weather also lol...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pookies mom said:
:wave: I forgot to say Lola is so darn cute!..., as far as Pooh.I always heard that pedigree. was sapose to have less waste. the less the better for me beings I have so many babys..
I love the story about Chili and the cold weather also lol...
Thanks!!!! :oops: I think she looks a lot like one of yours.....I think the name is Mugzi? When Lola is on her back, she looks just like that....SO CUTE!

As far as pedigree....I don't know much about it, but from what other chi owners have said, the supermarket brands aren't all that great. Since Lola is so small I figured that alone justified spending a little more on her food since she doesn't eat that much, but we have also had a hard road, with her needing major surgery at 10 months and all, I tend to spoil her a lot.

If the pedigree is working for you and your pups like it and are doing well on it, then that is the most important thing. :lol:

*edit* Duh to me! OK I just went back and re-read your post, which said you are thinking about switching them to pedigree......not that they are already on it. I just didn't want to step on any toes if you had food you already liked....I went to the pedigree wensite and found that the #1 ingredient for both the puppy and adult food is Ground Yellow Corn, that does not bode well for increasing digestion and cutting back on the poops...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pookies mom said:
oh wow really... Ill have to do more reading...
wow poor lola surgery at 10 months.. what happened to her?
:roll: she had an inherited condition called legg calve parthes or avascular femoral necrosis that required her to have part of her femur removed :cry: I detailed the whole story in this thread http://www.chihuahua-people.com/viewtopic.php?t=2747 Thank goodness she is nearly fully recovered and is doing really well, especially considering that she has no joint at her right rear hip :shock: only muscles stabablize it now

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.