Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing someone may have asked this before but I thought I would anyway. Both my boys have had problems with weepy eyes. Stitch is pretty bad his eyes are always wet anyone know of anything that might help? I usually just clean them with cooled boiled water on cotton wool to prevent staining.

Sarah

·
Registered
587 Posts
roxy has the same problem too, i know that they are prone to it because they are so close to the ground and dust etc. But bellas eyes are always completely clear. Maybe its allergies... i would like to know more too

·
Registered
332 Posts
I was told that they are prone to watery eyes. Marcus doesn't usually have watery eyes but lots of eye boogers :?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Chis are prone to this because of the large size of their eyes. It is not usually anything to do with the lashes touching the eyes, although some breeds are prone to that, especially Labradors and Cocker Spaniels. My vet said that excessive tearing in Chis is not a health issue, it's just typical of the breed. :)

·
Registered
897 Posts
Angel has them too occasionally. Some days more than others. Don't know if it is air quality or what. I usually just wipe them when I see they are getting really wet and she is fine. :)

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I have started to use Four Paws Crystal Eyes. And its pretty good, i put it on him everyday and his tear stains are practically gone. But i guess its just prone to the breed.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My vet refered to it as poodle eye lol. Dont ask me why. I think it probably has something to do with portuding eyes and tear ducts.

·
Registered
118 Posts
JJ Ivy's mum! said:
Yes, I asked the vet as I was concerned about Ivy's weepy eyes and the vet said as long as the fluid is clear its nothing to worry about and chihuahuas are prone to it.
My vet told me the exact same thing. I usually just use a cotton pad and wipe it off, occasionally with water. Excellent topic btw.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts