Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella went for injections last week and weighed 1.1kg previously the week before the vet told me bella was over weight and to only feed dried food. so i got a 2nd opinion of the vet who weighed bella last week...she said feed her has much as she seems 2 take..shes a growing puppy. I left feeling confused...When bella went 2 vets today for her cough another vet weighed her and said she was 2.9kg... is that a lot of weight gain for a week// bella is nearlly 12 wks.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
i wouldnt worry too much at this point, mabe the scales wernt callibrated properly, or one scale was off or the person holding her was leaning on the scale...
i very much doubt any pup would put on that amount in a week...:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
um...i weighed her myself and its a correct weight. shes put on 2 much in a week then i guess you guys think??? The vet did tell me 2 feed her as much as she seemws 2 need cos shes a growing puppy.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
thats correct, but id guess the first check would be wrong then! i wouldnt worry so long as she doesnt look overweight.

in a chi i belive its IMPOSSIBLE (even in an adult) to increase the weight that quickly, thats more or a great danes increase weight.
1kg is the equivalent to 2.2lb, so at her first visit she would have been 2 1/2 lbs there abouts and then 1 week later almost 6 1/2 lbs...i VERY much doubt it! its very likely that the first vet was wrong or this last weight check was wrong, at 6 1/2 lbs at 12 weeks shes gonna be about 8-10lbs full grown! (3.5-5kg)

thats a big chi, but somewhere the weight has to be off, unless bellas mixed, 4lbs in 2 weeks is more like a cocker spaniel or even biggers groth rate.

if she had put on that kind of weight you WOULD have noticed...

if the vets fine with her weight i wouldnt worry, a vet WILL tell you if your dogs overweight.
its more likely that she was 2.1 kg at the first weigh in...

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Or perhaps its 1.1kgm the first week but 2.9lbs the next, making the difference only a few ounces? (if i worked that out right?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts