Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have friends, family members, or someone they have heard of who has had weight loss surgery done? Gastric bypass? LapBand?

Apparently one of my cousins is getting a lap band put on and her insurance is paying for the entire thing. Lucky girl!

I'm always watching those shows on TV about "biggest mom in the world", "biggest man gets married", "fattest teenager in the U.S." and so on..

I even saw one about a woman who was at least 200-300 pounds overweight and had 2 young daughters. She got gastric bypass and did so well until a few weeks after the surgery, and she ended up dying. :(

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
A good friend of mine had lap band. Everything was fine. She went home and was recovering. Her husband noticed she was very drowsy and then couldn't wake her up. When they brought her to the ER she was in respiratory failure and had to be put on the ventilator for a week. She did eventually recover.

Had another friend who had the surgery, but didn't modify his bad habits. Would still suck down milkshakes, even though they made him sick and vomit, etc. He eventually stretched his stomach back out and now is fatter than before.

Another gal I know went to Mexico and had the surgery done there as it was cheaper. She developed a very deep wound infection with staph and had to have reconstructive surgery. Multiple surgeries.

Ummm... yeah. :) Be very careful.

Brodysmom

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
Sorry no experience but I can't help but think there has to be a kinder way to lose weight...

It's a very drastic method and very hard on the body. A quick fix but at an awful price in my opinion :(

Everyone must come to their own decision though.

x

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
my mother , my grandmother and my step mother all got it done and came out great but my mother and grandmother had issuses with there kiddey or gla gladder stones after which is common.

but you MUST work out, yes you will lose the weight but it wil just sit there. they didn't work out so the weight is still there. it needs to be toned.

later down the line she will need to have it removed. she can stretch the stomach back out so she needs to watch what she eats and remember to change how she eats. my grandomther still eats likes she's did before she had the GS. and now her pouch isn't small.

my step mother her's is still small but she never worked out so the weight is still there but you can tell she came a long way

so it's all in what you do with it

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
but you MUST work out, yes you will lose the weight but it wil just sit there. they didn't work out so the weight is still there. it needs to be toned.
absolutely right ;) plus if u go back to eating the same way you were eating before...u'll end up gaining weight quickly. so you have to work on staying on a diet as well :coolwink:

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I know a gal that had it done and followed the "rules" to a T. She looks fabulous and has no appearance of excess skin. She's young and did very well.

It is a very serious procedure with potential problems. But I believe if you can talk to a person that had it done, and followed what they were supposed to do, they will tell you it was a life saver for them.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
My sister in law had the lap band done last year. She weighed 300 lbs. and is now down to 225 lbs. in one year. She would lose even more if she would eat the correct foods. She still eats junk, just portioned controlled junk. She did work out for a while and was really looking healthy, sadly she has fallen into her bad ways again. She gets the band adjusted every now and then.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I know several people who had it done and all had so-so results...repeat surgeries to modify or fix the appliance, illness related to the surgery and ALL gained weight BACK after their initial drop in weight. These kinds of surgeries aren't a cure for excess weight...and unfortunately, too few people are given emotional counsiling before they have the proceedure and end up back where they were before this very invasive surgery. As a tool to help assist in better health, I think it could work...but I also think that lifestyle change, including diet and exercise change would be much more successful in the long run...

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for everyone's replies!!
My cousin Junior, his wife had this done as well and apparently she is having some trouble keeping water down. :-/

I definitely agree that an entire lifestyle change is very essential, because as someone shared, if you get it but continue to your same "old ways" it helps, but not as dramatically as it would if you completely kept yourself from fatty inappropriate foods and drinks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My aunt had the lapband surgery she did alright at first, but didn't stick with the healthy diet she was suppose to be on instead she just eats junk and has gained all the weight back and then some. @[email protected];

I think those are excellent ideas for people who truly do want to lose the weight and are willing to everything it takes after the surgery. It's not magic you have to work after the surgery.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My cousin will be having gastric bypass surgery sometime this year. She is just waiting for them to set the date. It was a long process to get to this point as she needed to prepare herself for after the surgery. Her insurance is paying for the entire surgery as well as the surgery to remove all the excess skin once she losses the weight.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I find it waaay to scarry. For one, the weight loss is soo fast you get to much skin hanging, which isn't pretty. I sure wouldn't want to go through the surgery to have it removed. I think dieting has to be a way of life otherwise anyone with bad eating habits will never keep it off. I'm sure it's greAt for some, but people I know who have had it seems to eventually put the weight back plus more. A quick fix surgery is not going to help someone who eats huge amounts of food. It's soo hard to change those eating habits forever.

Lori

Lori

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
As a nurse, I have seen many complications from the gastric bypass surgery. Infection, gall stones, ruptured stomachs, stiches bursting, gastric and electrolyte problems. I must admit, I looked into it myself. Luckily, the insurance company turned me down, said I was too healthy :) So I decided to lose on my own. I followed the Adkins diet and have lost 119 pounds. Much more healthy way to lose. I still have a ways to go, but I am still so glad I didn't have the surgery.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
119 pounds?!! I commend you! I haven't checked my weight in a while, so I would say I could stand to lose a good 155-175 pounds.

My brother Jamie and my sister in law have been on a diet for the past several months and apparently he has lost 35 pounds thus far; I must admit, I'm jealous that he has had enough determination and will power to stick with his diet and exercise routine.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Men have an easier time losing, has to do with hormones and stuff. It's just not fair!

Adkins really worked for me. I am very sensitive to carbs and have a problem with low blood suger. This diet keeps my blood levels level and I am just not hungry.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's very true, which is why he doesn't like to tell his wife how much he's lost because he doesn't want her to get discouraged.

I guess when it comes to weight and men/women is that it can come back soo fast for either gender. I was watching Discovery Health and I don't know if it's going to be a "reality" type of series, but it was an hour long about a guy that lost a lot of weight while being on Biggest Loser and he won the money as well. Well, he gained pretty much all of it back. When we first went on the show, he was at 420 and on this show on DH, he bought a scale and was at 368. :(

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Speaking of surgery again, one of my cousins had lap band done on the 18th and she left me a comment on MySpace today; she is doing well and the recovery has been great :) I'm so jealous!!

I want to have the surgery but I also don't want the dramatic weight loss to make me look older than I am...but then I also get those spurts of motivation to just exercise and eat healthy. One thing that is for certain is that my time is running out quickly..

·
Registered
496 Posts
As a nurse, I have seen many complications from the gastric bypass surgery. Infection, gall stones, ruptured stomachs, stiches bursting, gastric and electrolyte problems. I must admit, I looked into it myself. Luckily, the insurance company turned me down, said I was too healthy :) So I decided to lose on my own. I followed the Adkins diet and have lost 119 pounds. Much more healthy way to lose. I still have a ways to go, but I am still so glad I didn't have the surgery.
Wow. I congratulate you. I tried doing the atkins diet as well a few years ago. I lost about 20 pounds in a month. I'm not doing it anymore just eating less and trying to do more excercise. The heaviest I weighed was 215lbs. Now I'm down to 179lbs, to me its about portion control.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts