Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just when i thought chiwi was eating well and doing good, another ounce is lost.... i'm on the second week of having her and she came to me at 1.9 pounds, within a few days she went down to 1.8 then a few more days and she was at 1.7 1/2 and today she is down to 1.6 3/4 she has been eating well, much better the last few days than she did when she first got here. i dont' understand this. it's almost 3 ounces lost. she's been pretty sleepy the last couple days too. not lethargic cause that to me is sleeping and not active at all. when she is up and wanting to play she is bright, alert, responsive. i wonder if it's common for them to lose their puppy fat since theya ren't on their mothers milk anymore. i feed her royal canin mini puppy and during the day she gets about 2 teaspoons of hills prescription diet a/d (very high in calories and fat) mixed with her roya canin. i found she eats a bulk of her food before bed and just picks during the day (about 5-6 crunchies with a little a/d between 3-5 times) at night she eats about 1/3 cup give or take.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don't know if they usually lose weight before gaining again...I know Charlie stayed real close to the same weight for a while and then gained a whole bunch (I didn't weigh him that often so that's just what was visible to me) I hope it's just that she's losing puppy fat and everythings ok.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
have you taken her to the vet? Im not sure if puppys lose weight. Its been so long since Taders been a puppy. Hope every thing is okay with her Id hate for her to be sick.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
since i work at the vet's the dr. has been hearing all about the eating problems. he wants to see if she maintains weight for a few more days to a week and if not then we are going to run some bloodwork. she's not showing signs of being sick....

·
Registered
257 Posts
Baby food

Have you tried feeding her baby food? I know that when a pup is feeling a "little under the weaather" you can always tempt them with a little baby food on a spoon. Or a chicken stick (just a portion of it...).

Hope she's feeling better.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
right now she is fluctuating. 1.6 3/4 to 1.7 1/2 the vet isn't worried, he says as long as it doesn't go below 1.6 and it pretty much maintains then we will do some bloodtests. but he said now that she is eating on her own (and very well i might add!) she's got more energy and she isn't showing signs of being sick and has only had one hypoglycemic fit (it was in the morning before she started eating like she is now.). she's fine. he says for her small frame we don't want her gaining anything but a few ounces here and there. so if he isn't worried than i'm not....

as for the baby food, i just got her eating puppy food on her own, with small amounts of canned a/d mixed with her puppy food in between her "big meals (breakfast and dinner) i can't go back to trying to get her to eat other things, it was a struggle with her at first witht he eating and baby food was one of the things i tried, she liked it for a day. :D that's my picky girl!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts