Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has experienced weight loss with their puppy. When i weighed Riley at about 4 months he was 2.2 pounds and today when i weighed him on the same scale at the vet (he's almost 5 months) he weighed 1.7 pounds. I don't know if he lost his baby fat because he doesn't sleep as much, or he lost weight because i was on vacation for a week and he stayed with friends. Please let me know! Thanks alot
Jen

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
does he seem thinner to you ? it may be puppy fat or it could be the different scales if he doesnt seem any smaller to you - Has he been wormed reguarly - you could take him to the vets and mention it and see what he thinks .

How old is he ? and how much do you feed him and how often ? :wave:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rileys 4 months 3 weeks, and he eats less than a 1/2 cup a day (by choice) he never finishes all his food. He looks a little thinner, but it looks like he lost his baby fat. He has been dewormed, and when i was at the vet today i mentioned he lost weight and either she didnt hear me or didnt think it mattered. When i go back in to the vet im going to ask again. thanks for replying.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Thats ok as long as he seems active he should be ok I would mention it again though , also maybe try supplementing him with a little wet food on a morning and evening if you can find some he likes and leave a bowl of dry out all day at his age he still needs 3 meals a day :wave:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I would call your vet and ask again....

Ozzysmom, I like your idea of canned food... That is what we did for Gadget because he started to lose his baby fat and started to feel very boney.... he eats a bowl in the morning and at dinner time and he gets dry food left out for him.. he has gained about 6 ounce every month when I have had him weighed at the vets office...

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
canned food is good to help give extra calories. i'd mix it with his dry for one of his meals. i'm having this problem with chiwi. she eats great now and has lots of energy. the vet isn't worried about it as long as she maintains the weight she is at and doesn't lose any more. it may just be puppy fat, but i'd ask again and don't leave until you get an answer! :wave:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I tried mixing the canned food with the dry food and he wouldn't have anything to do with it... so now he gets just canned food breakfast and dinner and dry food when ever..

Last night he had Easter dinner with us... A little canned food a little easter egg white part and a little ham... then we had to add a few flakes of bread.. he chowed.. good thing we only do that for special meals...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts