Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last month when i took chiwi to the vets to have her pre spay bloodwork she weighed in at 2.14 (or 2.12 one of those i can't really remember and don't feel like looking it up) that say she had eaten earlier, was wearing a frilly bow in her hair and had her kitty collar with attatched bell. now today i had her weighed after her spay and teeth removal and she weighed 2.8 pounds. now she has less "insides" when you think about it and she didn't ahve any accessories on or no food or water in her belly. could all that stuff equal 6 ounces??

she seems a little on the thin side to me, like i can feel her bones but not all her bones. at her weight and 8 months of agfe, how much of the royal canin chihuahua formula should she be eating a day??

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi,

I'm a little bit confused about your question. She weighs more now but is she not also older and maybe has grown a little, too?

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i think she weighs 6 ounces less now right?

it could be .....she might have lost a little weight due to stress about her being spayed too ...

some small girls are just on the thin side ...i always try to give extra food to paris ,because i think she's so thin :?

i wouldn't worry too much ,chiwi looks brilliant and a picture of health :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm not too sure about this one - but my vet said to me while i was enquiring about coco getting spayed that she may put on weight - i dont know if its normal to loose the weight.

Surely when she was at the vets the vet asked you what weight she was the last time? if he didnt he should have, and well if he thought she lost too much weight im sure he would have gave you advice on what to do!

If he didnt then maybe phone up and ask about it, it might not even be something to worry about but at least put your mind at rest!

Coco doesnt eat much through the day - she preffers hot and tasty meats so sometimes refuses her dog food - cheeky get :lol: It's my dad's fault he gives her 2 slices of chicken each day so she's used to it, she only eats dog food once a day if im lucky and small portions at that maybe what would be 6 spoonfuls to us!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
xx-nathalie-xx said:
he probably meant she would gain weight over the long run :wink: not immediately !

kisses nat
yeah and that isn't really true. spaying and nuetering really don't cause weight gain.... there's no scientific evidence.....

and yes there is a 6 ounce weight loss from last month. but i think the no food and water, hysterectomy, and no accessories account for it.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I would not be worried, unless it continues of course. If you can get her to eat more then do so. Bindi gets like a 1/4 C plus Natural Balance and some canned chicken a day. Bindi fluctuates too.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KB mamma said:
I would not be worried, unless it continues of course. If you can get her to eat more then do so. Bindi gets like a 1/4 C plus Natural Balance and some canned chicken a day. Bindi fluctuates too.
chiwi eats like 1/2 sometimes 1/3 cup of royal canin chi. she don't like treats at all and i give her a bit of cream cheese or yogurt to mix her glucosamine powder in. if i notice her bowl is empty i'll pour more kibble into it sometimes she eats a bit more and other times it goes untouched....

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
It could be the vets scale was off too.
I've had that happen with Sandy.
I wouldn't worry about it unless she keeps loosing weight.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Actually, she gained weight. 2.8 means she is just .2 lbs from weighing 3 full lbs. Call the vet and ask. the .12 and the .8 are not ounces if I'm correct. Please call so I know I'm not going crazy!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bijou said:
Actually, she gained weight. 2.8 means she is just .2 lbs from weighing 3 full lbs. Call the vet and ask. the .12 and the .8 are not ounces if I'm correct. Please call so I know I'm not going crazy!
no the 2 is the pounds and the . whatever are the ounces. 2 pounds 14 ounces is more than 2 pounds 8 ounces. i worked there i am real familiar with that scale ;) and that is how theirs reads. and there are 16 ounces in a pound.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Oh, ok. My vet's scale is different. 2.8 would mean 2 lbs and 8 tenths of a lb. And then the 2.12 would mean 2 lbs. and 1 tenth and 2 100ths.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
i wouldnt worry too much so long as you dont notice her continuing to lose wieght, sounds like shes on the right amount of food...
with a dog of ideal weight you should be able to feel the bones but not see them and rember a chi should have a larger rib cage and a nice tuck in the waist.
just keep an eye on her, if your worried you could always add a vitamin supliment to her food as well as the glucosamin...
but i wouldnt worry.

on the note of spaying.neutering and weight gain...
they say its NOT the spaying that causes the weight gain, its because the dogs activity level will drop slighlty therfore they burn a few less calories aday ect...
(and we all know how quickly the calories can add up lol)

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
What kind of scale did they use? Had it been calibrated recently? I was looking at some old vet records from when I first got Lily. The first time I brought her in she weighed 3 1/2 pounds. Two months later she weighed 4 1/2 pounds. The next time (maybe a few months later) she was up over 5 pounds. :shock: Lily has never weighed 5 pounds in her entire life. :lol: I don't even think she weighed 4 1/2 at that time.

My point is that different scales seem to show different weights, depending on how accurate the scales are to begin with. And I don't know about you and Chiwi but I'm usually the one to place Lily on the scale and try to get her to hold still for 3 seconds. The scale is usually bopping up to about 4 1/2 down to like 3 3/4 in the space of a few seconds. I've given up trying to get an accurate reading on Lily's weight. I accept that she's just over 4 pounds in the winter and just under 4 pounds in the summer.

Boy, was that frigging long winded or what! :shock:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it unless the trend continues. Scales can vary, even the same scales. Weight can also vary, depending on what time of day you weigh and whether you have eaten recently. I know I usually weigh almost 2 pounds less early in the morning than I do in the late afternoon or evening.

It sounds as if you are giving her the correct amount of food, and Royal Canin is an excellent food. I would just wait and see what her weight is when you take her back in for her follow up visit, and check with the vet then if you are still concerned.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.