Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so when I got Oscar (2-3 yrs) he weighed 9.8 lbs wayyyy over weight. A casualty of being stuck in a pet store for 6 months. For the first few months he got almost no food as the dogs he was with ( in the big room with a window for people to look in) were much bigger than him and didn't let him eat. The pet store employees finally moved him to a different room to eat and gave him as much royal Canin as he wanted (which for an emaciated stray is a LOT). He packed on at least 4 lbs during his stay. Since I've had (about 2 months) he has lost roughly 1.5-2 lbs. he still appears chunky at tea but is so much more energetic and happy. The vet wasn't concerned about his weight but I think he still needs to lose a bit..

Opinions?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He definitely looks chunkier than he is in the first pic but still.. I want my little man to be the healthiest he can be. I work a lot but we romp around in the yard and go for 20-40 min walks usually twice a day schedule permitting. He is outside trained, although after his previous life experience he occasionally doesn't realize pooping in a pet store is not cool. Every time! Any type of pet store lol it's bizarre. As soon he started his circling up and outside we go :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that's the latest. I can feel his ribs, but def through a layer of skin lol. I'm trying though! Poor guy was a stray and then bullied by bigger dogs for so long he is pretty food obsessed. The begging is def an issue but I feel bad as my place is so small he has no choice but to watch me way my delicious human good lol. I'm pretty strict and rarely cave but I'm always catching my bf feeding him tidbits off his plate!

·
Registered
68 Posts
You're doing a great job and he's looking great :) As long as you're feeding him according to his weight then he'll balance out the way he should. We've recently taken on a chi that is nearly 4kg and looks really obese(!) but now that she is on the same food and amount as our others it is starting to come off. He's very lucky to have you xx

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
If you think he still may be over weight you can cut him back a bit more and give him green beans cooked so he feels full the beans are full of fiber! He looks a lot better then the first pic!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts