Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Oscar doesn't play with any toys without food either. I've tried everything and he starea at me like I'm ridiculous. I can sometimes get him going play with my hands or pretending to pounce lol but that's about it. He was an adult rescue though, and I don't think he ever had a chance to learn to play. When other dogs try to play with him he gives them a dirty look and prances off haha. I'm hoping he will grow to love playing but we shall see

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had my chi since she was a puppy and yes she looks at me if i am weird and what i suppose to do with this ball.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My little guy Koa won't play with toys at all anymore. He used to when he was a puppy. My other two rarely play with toys.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My new little guy uses his toy as a pillow. I thought it odd because all my other guys would have ripped he stuffing out of it and torn it to bits. Bacchus snuggles under his blanket and rests his head on his little stuffie. I guess he's normal after all.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My boy doesn't play with toys at all, he will play fetch though. My girl plays all the time with her babies. Kai absolutely loves them and its the cutest thing to watch. She keeps herself busy.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Angel has only plastic (the soft ones,I dont know if they are rubber, plastic or whatever). He will just squeak it to death!! And run from one part of the house to the other! His toys are cheap ($1.00) at Walmart, but the selection is limited!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just a weird thought on the chis that don't play with toys, since they have been bred strictly as companions, have we bred the prey drive out of them? My poodles and herding dogs will all play with toys, but poodles were/are used for hunting and herding is a modified hunting behavior. Bacchus is happiest just being held, that's all he seems to want to do, cuddle and fall asleep in our laps. He plays a little with the idea of wrestling with our hands, but so far, no tug or fetch or playing with toys. Maybe because he's not 100% healthy or never been exposed to them. I don't know, it'll be interesting watching to see if any play/prey drive kicks in with proper food and care.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Toby is the first and only chi I've had that plays with toys. He likes fetch, but he will play with them on his own too. And he loves bones or anything that squeaks. I think it's more playful than his "prey drive".

My family's Chis will only chew bones or kongs. None of them ever touch a toy. Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
382 Posts
Simcha will play with toys. He loves to chase and fetch, and to fight/play tug of war. Sometimes he will chase a ball or other toy, carry it around and leave it in another room; sometimes he brings it back. He also loves impromptu toys, such as my slipper or sneaker, or my wife's slipper or sneaker. Socks and throw pillows are also fair game. It's very much like dealing with a toddler. Just today he grabbed my brand new sneaker and exercised his little teeth on the plastic lace-end.

He can also get into hyper sessions, where he goes running back and forth thru our entire house in race track fashion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts