Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am getting some dry almost moldy looking poos from Yoshi? is this normal on RAW? They look as if they have been sitting out in the sun for weeks or something?

Also, they are begging constantly now? If I move they think they are getting fed and are driving me crazy :-( They were so content before but even Chibi that doesnt hardly ever make a sound is begging and whining when I am in the kitchen? I hope this will stop soon, as I am not seeing this as a good thing??

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
If they set out in the air for any lenght of time - they turn white & crumbley quickly. If they are coming out white & crumbley I'd lower his bone content a bit for sure. :)

Sadly my pups manners have diminished since doing raw. We don't do full raw now (we're currently on a ZiwiPeak/Honest Kitchen mix though I won't be buying any more HK after the box is gone & bone-in chicken once a week) & the HK even makes it worse because it needs to sit for 5-10 minutes. It didn't take long for them to realize the "box" meant whine time. I don't feed them until they calm & it has improved but they are still naughty as I'm mixing it. And still...even though we don't do raw all the time now we get out meat to cook (especially chicken) for dinner & my pups think it's for them. :roll:

IMO these are small sacrifices to make in order for them to get the benefits from raw. You can also work on the behaviors which I have done. Again...it's improved but I've yet to totally correct it. At least they are enthusiastic about their food. ;) hehe

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with Heather. Are the poops coming out kind of whitish, crumbly and hard? Or are they that way in the yard. If they are coming out that way, you need to give more meat and less bone. But yes, the stools will disintegrate in the yard. I don't need to pick up poop anymore. It is gone after a rain. :)

As for their behavior.... hmmmm.... seems like they are getting real joy out of eating now! That's a good thing! You can work on their behavior. Just have them sit while you are preparing their food, etc. Raw is yummy and high value to dogs. Of course they are going to get excited about it. It just makes sense. But yes, you will have to invest some time in training.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If they set out in the air for any lenght of time - they turn white & crumbley quickly. If they are coming out white & crumbley I'd lower his bone content a bit for sure. :)

Sadly my pups manners have diminished since doing raw. We don't do full raw now (we're currently on a ZiwiPeak/Honest Kitchen mix though I won't be buying any more HK after the box is gone & bone-in chicken once a week) & the HK even makes it worse because it needs to sit for 5-10 minutes. It didn't take long for them to realize the "box" meant whine time. I don't feed them until they calm & it has improved but they are still naughty as I'm mixing it. And still...even though we don't do raw all the time now we get out meat to cook (especially chicken) for dinner & my pups think it's for them. :roll:

IMO these are small sacrifices to make in order for them to get the benefits from raw. You can also work on the behaviors which I have done. Again...it's improved but I've yet to totally correct it. At least they are enthusiastic about their food. ;) hehe
We had this problem at first with the HK. What I found works is to set the timer on your microwave. When the timer goes off, they get fed. The girls no longer whine for their food (except Roxy but she's a puppy and a pig).

My girls STILL go crazy if you have ANY raw meat/eggs out. I wait for them to clam/quiet down before I give them anything at all. I am bad though and will give them pieces of our raw meat (or cooked if there's not seasonings/butter/oils on it.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Are they really small?? I thought You were feeding a premade?? You may need to add some extra meat in

Lol they like their food bless them mine get excited when I go to te kitchen they think it's always meal time spin around and soon get over it

I'd prob start feeding them at random times dogs tell the time quite well

·
Registered
4,436 Posts

Don't you premake your HK? You can premake it & keep it in the Fridge up to 48 hours. I premake Midgies & she eats it straight out of the fridge without heating it up. After I make a batch of HK, I measure it out in little tupperware containers so all I have to do is pop the lid & set it down for her. She's been on the HK for a month & was gobbling it up & asking for more up until yesterday. I feed her twice a day, but she is only eating half of the morning portion. I am planning on going with one of the other HK with the meat in it instead of the Preference, but until I get the results for what she's allergic to, I have to stick with the Preference.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I don't premake mine. I find it easier to just make as I go since I finally have down how much I'm feeding each pup. If I was to premake I'd have to go & figure it out all over again. LOL I'm actually not going to keep feeding the HK...I got one 10lb box & once it's gone I won't get any more. I'm going to stick with ZiwiPeak with a bit of wet ZiwiPeak & some raw meals.

The timer is a great idea though! My pups really aren't that bad. Once I'm done stiring it I go sit down & they're quiet. Sometimes Maxie will shiver & whine...he's very impatient. hehe But everyone sits on the couch & waits for me to put their dishes down & call to them before they go too crazy. ;)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They potty inside on potty pads due to all of the predators where we live. Poos are only down a few minutes, I get them when I smell them as they potty in the laundry room and I cant see them from where I am usually.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
They potty inside on potty pads due to all of the predators where we live. Poos are only down a few minutes, I get them when I smell them as they potty in the laundry room and I cant see them from where I am usually.
You will be able to keep a close eye on the poops then! :) Expect them to be small and firm and nearly odorless. Of course what goes in must come out, so if you do end up branching out into other meats - it will reflect in the stool. That is normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts