Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Porsche came home with us today! She is 7 weeks, 4 days old and weighs 1 pound 6 ounces. When we got her home we put her down on the potty patch outside and she did her business right away. I'm so proud of her. I just love her to pieces already!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I just got my baby 6weeks ago when she was 8 weeks I know how you feel. They are so tiny you can't turn your back for a min ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much ladies. I've only had her 1 day and I already have a question. She won't drink any water. Is that normal? I used a tiny medicine syringe (like you use for babies) and made her drink a couple teaspoons...but other than that, she won't even try to drink from the bowl. And she's only eaten a teaspoon of her food too. Do you think anything is wrong with her?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Thanks so much ladies. I've only had her 1 day and I already have a question. She won't drink any water. Is that normal? I used a tiny medicine syringe (like you use for babies) and made her drink a couple teaspoons...but other than that, she won't even try to drink from the bowl. And she's only eaten a teaspoon of her food too. Do you think anything is wrong with her?
Welcome to CP!

It's not unusual for her to not eat and/or drink normally her first few days home. She's still adjusting to her new surroundings and sometimes eating/drinking are the last things on their minds. You can try adding a little lukewarm water to her food to make it more appealing to her and to make her stay hydrated. I add quite a bit of water to Gemma's meals because she hardly ever drinks from her water bowl. I probably add around 3 tablespoons of water to her 1.5 tablespoons of kibble each meal. She drinks it all up because she likes the flavor it gains from the kibble.

You should also definitely get a tube of Nutrical to give her when she's not eating enough to prevent hypoglycemia. You can also add sugar or honey to her water for that, but if she's not drinking, that may not be helpful.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Awww..what a sweetie! I love the name! It also took my girl a day or two to adjust to eating. She was so overwhelmed with her new surroundings that I don't think she realized she would get hungry. I don't think its a physical health issue just her little world has changed.

With my girl I noticed that she was afraid of the bowl and it helped to put water on a little shallow dish in the beginning.

Enjoy your little one!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much for the encouraging words. I gave her some time to adjust and got her some weaning formula today. She drank about 1 tablespoon twice and ate a soft puppy treat. So we felt a little better. But we were still worried about leaving her to go to work tomorrow. Then I got an awesome idea. I thought maybe she would eat the dry food from a bowl if I ground it up real small in an old coffee grinder we have. I gave it to her in a small ramikan and she started scarfing it dow as soon as I put it in front of her! She also drank some more formula from another small ramikan and has started chewing on her Nylabone. We have decided that she has either finally determined that we are "ok" as her new family or she just got so hungry that she decided to eat! Either way, we feel much better about leaving her alone. Aaron (my husband) is going to go home for his lunch break to check on her each day till we are really sure that she will be ok for that long without us. Deep sigh of relief!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Aw. She is gorgeous! Mylo settle in really quickly with us and ate straight away but he hates drinking out of his dish. It was like he didn't know there was water in there or something. I had to dip my finger in, let him lick off the water and then slowly lead him to it like that to make him drink at first. We put a but of water down in a small glass ramakin, like you said, and he drank perfectly fine from it so either the water was easier to see or he just preferred using something small. He never had a problem eating from his metal dish. Welcome! And keep us updated :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts