Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday night, we're watching tv about 9 and I'm fighting to keep my eyes open until time to go to bed. Someone knocks on the door, and it's a young woman, holding this tiny little white thing in her arms. She's in tears, said she found him that morning huddled quivering in a ditch, and she's been driving around all day trying to find out who he belongs to.

I turn the porch light on, and it's a LC Chi!

The woman is really stressed out - she's called all the vets and shelters and she's not allowed to keep him at her apartment, so she's going to have to turn him loose.

Boy, she sure picked the right door to knock on at that point...

Here he is...

We've guess-timated him at about a year, and probably close to 5 lbs. His coat is gorgeous, and he's been recently neutered because there are still remnants of stitches, even though he's completely healed. He's a cuddle baby, and just as sweet as can be.

I'm going to branch out a bit and contact vets in the surrounding cities this morning, but other than that, I really don't know what to do.

He's an escape artist, so it's possible he got away from someone. But, since no one seems to be looking for him, who knows?

Regardless, he's got a home here if he needs one...I am such a sucker...I did want a long coat, but had really planned on getting a pup! :rolleyes:

My husband is still shaking his head, when he's not loving on the dogs!

·
Registered
244 Posts
if you keep him, congrats! he is beautiful, maybe put an ad on craiglist or something or in a news paper about a missing dog. hes so cute, i wish someone would knock on my door and give me a chi. lmaoo!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Oh, I do believe that things happen for a reason! I pray that your new one finds his people who are longing for him or if not that he settles into your loving home!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
He is so cute.......glad she found your door

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw he's gorgeous. Poor little guy. She definitely knocked on the right door with him, thankfully. I can't believe he has no tags on him, especially considering he is wearing a collar. :confused: He looks in good shape so I really have to assume he is lost. :( Plus he was recently neutered. I so hope you can find his owners. Very weird that no one is looking for him that you've been able to find out about. If you can't find his owners, it's wonderful that he'll have a good home with you. :)

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Wow, he's beautiful. He may have just gotten out. It takes a day or two for an ad to show up in a newpapper. Put a found ad in the papper, both print and on-line and an ad on craigslist. I am still looking for the owners of the little girl I found, but if I can't, I already have a lady ready to take her.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
He's gorgeous! If you decide you don't want him, I'm not too far away! ;) What made the person knock on your door?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She was going door to door with him, and someone had told her he might be mine. I felt so sorry for her...She had her little boy in the car and it was getting late and she was so stressed out about having to put the little guy outside. She was almost in tears, but her landlord wouldn't let her keep him until she could find his owner.

I've gone through the yellow pages and called every vet within a 30 mile radius. No one remembers neutering him. Some of the shelters weren't open, but the ones I called said he didn't come from there.

He seems to be housetrained, but who knows...As often as I take my other two out, he may be pottying outside by accident! He's also great in a crate - acts like it's something he's used to. He's really made himself at home - he doesn't seem stressed at all. It's like he's been here all his life. He's sleeping on the back of the couch with Gracie right now, in the sunshine. He's very well behaved, actually more so than my other two little demons!

We put the collar on him so we could take him out on a leash - that was definitely something he had never experienced. He went nuts until he saw the other two walking on theirs. Needless to say, taking 3 dogs out on retractable leashes can be quite comical...I love it when I'm hog tied before daylight!

We are holding off on naming him...I'm already so attached and if I put a name to him, it will just make things harder. I've already called in an ad in the local paper - our town is so tiny that it only comes out once a week, so it won't be published until Tuesday. The vets have all posted notices in their offices. I have really mixed feelings about it...I don't want someone worrying themselves sick over him, but I'm falling in love...

·
Registered
285 Posts
He is gorgeous! Could he possibly be microchipped? I feel so bad for his owners, I know first hand how hard it is when you don't know where your baby is. I hope he finds his family soon.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Did you scan for a microchip? That would be my first suggestion. Then the ads and calling vets and shelters and reading the lost ads. Someone obviously cared about him if they had him neutered and he doesn't look underweight. I bet he's just lost, poor baby. Thank goodness he has you!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Did you call the humane society in your area? When My phoebe and Bruiser got out a few years ago, Bruiser was lost for hours. Talk about panic. I contacted the humane society and went down there to fill out a lost pet report. Fortunately, the woman who found him, also called the Humane society and we were reunited within a couple of hours. I hope you find the owner but he is lucky to have you. :)

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
He is so sweet looking.Hope he don't have owners out there worrying.

·
Registered
355 Posts
He's absolutely beautiful...at least now that he's with you his story will have a happy ending, either back with his owners, with you, or with another responsible Chi owner.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I had him scanned...Nothing...

I'm really starting to wonder if someone had him here with him on vacation and lost him. We had a huge festival here last weekend (Tater Day, no less) and I'm really starting to wonder if he belonged to one of the vendors and made his escape. The crowd would have terrified him, and then we had a couple of days of stormy weather following that. You would think if he was local some of the vets or shelters would have heard something...

He's settled right in, he's under foot so much that I have to be really careful not to step on him. He's stuck to me like glue. He and Gracie are big friends already, Pedro just grumbles at him now and then, then forgets he doesn't like him and starts playing with him. It's like a zoo. I swear I saw the cat roll his eyes last night. :rolleyes:

Here is another pic I got of him sunning this morning on top of all the pillows on the bed...

We've decided if we wind up keeping him, we'll call him Diesel! (I wanted to name him Chigger because he gets under your skin so fast, but my husband looked at me like I'd lost my mind!)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts