Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good nutrition for our babies is already well known information to most here. Since I never know who may be lurking, newbies or those of you with family members who may not listen to you but would to the story of someone else, I am telling the story.

Both of my girls came to us on 2-3 star foods. dogfoodanalysis and dogfoodadvisor use different scales. Both breeders feel strongly that the foods they have chosen to feed are outstanding. Had I not searched those sites I might have agreed and kept feeding as both are very qualified and how would I know better than an AKC breeder? I am in Marketing and Advertising and not the the pet industry.

We took Hope with us when we picked up Ruby. The breeder insisted on holding Hope. She gasped at her fur the second I handed her over. She said that she felt like absolute silk and asked what we fed her. She said that Ruby did not feel like that and that I would notice a difference.

I had already changed Hope to a 5-6 star food for 2 months before we got Ruby. The breeder was right. I noticed the difference in her fur on the ride home. I really thought that because Ruby's fur had a lot of dark sabling that was the reason that it was much more coarse. I also noticed that the individual hairs were actually "stubby" rather than Hope's longer hairs. Again, I assumed it may be geneology or even the color thing that was the difference.

Well, Ruby has now been with us 8 weeks. Within 4 weeks of being on the 5-6 star food there was a noticeable change. Now, at 8 weeks with us, in the night, if I am shifting one girl, I can no longer tell who I am moving by feel. Their fur feels identical. Silky, smooth, shiny and long, strong individual hairs.

It is obviously too early to know if they will enjoy long, healthy lives as a result of our decision to change and not resign that 3 stars is "good enough". If their outer appearance is any glimpse, it is likely to be so.

Just wanted to share in case you wondered if it really mattered or made a difference. I can assure you that it does!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Pictures to prove it pleeeeease :)
She's picture hungry!

Though I will agree 100% on this. I used to feed Gretel Eukanuba and within no time on THK she was like a whole different dog. I thought I was doing right feeding her the Natural Eukanuba because it didn't contain synthetic vitamin K, BHA, animal by-products or generic animal fats or meats which sounds good right? It's still only a 2-3 star food.

Godric came to be on puppy chow something or another i'm not sure I threw it out, it was garbage, I don't even bathe him anymore he stays so soft all he takes is a little deodorizing spritz every couple weeks and he's good to go.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Dottie was on Eukanuba from the breeder as well do they get discount on it ?changed to Ziwi P ,loves it and looking good

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are crazy! I posted a million pics of them in their new harnesses like a day ago! This was one that I did not post but similar to one that I did. Seriously, it may be hard to see in photo, but the girl feels like velvet!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
A zillion pics? nooo lol only like 10! Yes I am picture hungry, your girls are so cute can you blame me?

I love those harnesses you got, I just ordered new ones for Leah and Bryco but they didn't have that one. Its so cute.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hello JesusChick
Love the nic btw... :)
All this sounds great,,, but no one telling what they are feeding there
pets, only a 5-6 star dog food.
My chi. also had very corse/stiff hair. I had him on Innova (before it
changed hands) when I found out it did by members on here I switched
to the Honest Kitchen food. Good results but his hair still does NOt
feel like velvet and he's been on it for 3-4 months now. It feels softer
than it use to mind you but not like velvet. I'm wondering if some of itisn't genitic as I had another chi. for years and her fur was pretty soft to
the touch.
I'm pondering...:confused: LOL...
Thanks... HUGS...

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
All dogs coats vary, but will improve with a good food. Ivy and Fern have velvety soft fur. Willow has very soft fur, but nothing like the other two. Willow has a double coat which is super thick, and I think it tends to be a bit coarser.

Hello JesusChick
Love the nic btw... :)
All this sounds great,,, but no one telling what they are feeding there
pets, only a 5-6 star dog food.
My chi. also had very corse/stiff hair. I had him on Innova (before it
changed hands) when I found out it did by members on here I switched
to the Honest Kitchen food. Good results but his hair still does NOt
feel like velvet and he's been on it for 3-4 months now. It feels softer
than it use to mind you but not like velvet. I'm wondering if some of itisn't genitic as I had another chi. for years and her fur was pretty soft to
the touch.
I'm pondering...:confused: LOL...
Thanks... HUGS...

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not mention brands because I never wish to be known for pushing/advocating any particular brand nor method. I also think I'd have been unable to clearly/confidently/scientifically say that it was better with one 5-6 star food over another. I just know for certain that moving her form a 1-3 star food to a better one made a difference for her. One we could really notice.

Coming off the foods on which they were started, I fed Orijen and also Fromms. Both are outstanding foods and very likely began her change. I'd still be feeding one or the other but I have one who cannot tolerate processed, or some ingredient in preserved, foods-even excellent ones. She is a medical and gastronomical mystery.

As a result, I feed ZiwiPeak. One of my girls loves THK and one is not so certain. Since I have already spent a fortune trying out different foods, I am staying put with one that pleases both and settles well with Hope's sensitive tummy.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Awesome! My girls have totally different fur. Izzie's is super smooth and silky, like how you are describing your girls' fur, and Bella's is longer and more coarse, on her body anyway. The fur on her head is super soft. But besides size when I feel them or pick them up without looking, I can tell the difference with their fur.

Izzie was on a 1 star food when I got her, and she's been on 4 and 5 star foods since she's been with us, and besides her growing, slowly, which she probably would have anyways, lol, I haven't really seen much of a difference with her. I obviously still feed my girls 5 star foods, although I haven't seen the difference most talk about.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Both my babies had skin/hair problems when I got them. Pedro had really bad allergies - he'd been raised on cat food, and Gracie had some bald spots.

The first thing I did (before I knew there were better foods) was add a tablespoon of olive oil to their dry food 3 times a week. This stopped the allergies immediately.

Then I switched them (gradually) to Taste of the Wild. It took awhile to get them to eat it - for the longest time when I was adding it to their old food, they would pick out the pieces of Taste of the Wild and put it in the floor! But I eventually got them completely switched over, and their coats are amazing! Pedro's hair is so thick and shiny that it's hard to believe he's the same dog, and Gracie doesn't have a bald spot on her!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ha Ha - Just had this discussion with MIL on the phone yesterday. She wanted to know what shampoo I washed Yogi in because he is soo silky & shiny while her girls' coats are quite coarse and dull

I tried to explain to her that it is because I feed him a high quality, grain free food but it fell on deaf ears! She will continue to feed hers shredded roast chicken & food from Aldi as per usual (Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Aldi, but their dog food is just as bad as any other supermarket brand).

So off to the local Pet Stock I went today & bought her a bottle of Fido's Puppy & Kitten Shampoo, at least that way she will stop using the harsh, chemical, flea shampoo she has apparently been subjecting them to. SIGH! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
152 Posts
When we got Alfie he was on Royal Canin. He is now fed Ziwipeak and the change in his coat condition is immense, he is so glossy and soft now! It's great when you can really see and feel the difference the food makes to them.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I totally agree! Before I brought Lion home, I had no clue what food to feed him. I ended up buying a bag of Science Diet, only to be horrified when I did research later that day. I returned the Science Diet the next day and bought the Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover food that his breeder fed him, and we later switched to Orijen. Even though the Chicken Soup food is rated pretty well, the switch to Orijen really made a difference. No more upset stomach, and a super shiny coat! I am so glad I did my research before bringing him home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts