Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know which of these brands is best: Wellness, Innova, Merrick, Science Diet?
Right now I am feeding Eukanuba, but I am not happy about it. I think Sally Lolita stared loosing her hair when I switched her to that food. I've been reading a lot about dog food, but I just get more confused everytime I go on the web. It seems like if all the food on the market is not good and I am worried about that. Here in Quebec there is not a big selection of premium quality dog food. The only ones I can find are the ones I've mentioned.
Science Diet, you can find it almost everywhere, but I've read a couple of times is not really that good. For the others, they seems to be pretty good, but you can find them just in a couple of stores, (3) and they have to order it for you. I really want to feed my dogs something natural and top quality. I read somewhere that Wellness helps a lot with skin irritations and allergies, is that true? cus Sally Lolita still has those bald spots and I'd like to give her something that can help.
Thanks
Mando

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
They are all high quality diets! Science Diet and Eukaneuba are the easiest to find (any pet store) while the others are more expensive and a little harder to locate in a pinch. I actually prefer 2 brands: Wellness and Natural Balance, but that's because my dogs like it. I'm happy with the ingredients, no by products, no "meal", brown rice, vegetables. I switched Tiny to wellness recently and she is doing great on it.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Gizmo uses Science Diet..I have a 10 year old poodle and that's what he ate since he was a puppy. My poodle has dry skin and allergy problems that aggrivate if we switch him off of science diet, so it works for him. Each dog is different what works for one might not for other....I tried Wellness too but Giz didn't care much for the taste..and I just dont agree with Iams or Eukanubas animal testing...but that's just me :wink:

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much for your comments.
I think I am gonna try Wellness...The "Fish and Sweet Potato" formula seems to be made to relieve from allergies. I ordered it and I will see how it goes. I hope it helps with the bald spots.
Mando

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Yes, the Iams and Eukaneuba testing is a bummer. What is not so nice, though, is the the companies that claim not to use animals for testing, use the research done by Iams in order to gain FDA approval. So, while they are not directly doing the testing, being on the market requires somebody else to do the dirty work. And for the foods are not FDA approved (animal foods do not have to be), who is being used to test their products? Your dog and mine.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
From Iams/Eukanuba's website:

An animal rights organization is making misleading allegations about feeding studies performed for The Iams Company at an external facility that we left in early 2003. These allegations not only are old, but also are highly sensationalized and laced with untruths.

Here are the facts about Iams:

FACT: Posing as an animal lover, an activist "undercover investigator" was hired for an Iams-funded role in the contract facility. She had responsibility for the socialization and enrichment of the dogs participating in Iams' feeding studies, and was paid to develop and implement a program to ensure that these dogs were well cared for. Rather than focusing on her assignment she captured video not of the scenes of the socialization and enrichment activities she was being paid to develop and deliver, but of dogs and cats that were housed in the same facility but not a part of Iams studies.

FACT: Iams doesn't kill dogs or cats! It's against the research policy that has been in place for years.

FACT: Iams does not authorize the debarking of any dogs.

FACT: Iams has an industry-leading global animal studies policy that ensures the care and welfare of every dog and cat participating in our feeding studies.

FACT: Iams is committed to the ultimate elimination of laboratory feeding studies as scientifically valid alternatives become available -and we are actively using, developing and seeking alternatives!

FACT: Iams takes full responsibility for the destiny of each and every dog and cat participating in our feeding studies, a program established as of July, 2003. Dogs and cats are adopted into loving homes after they stop working with Iams or they retire with Iams.

FACT: Iams is a company full of pet lovers who dedicate their lives to helping dogs and cats live longer, healthier lives. We see this in the more than 30 million pets worldwide who annually thrive on the innovative nutrition of The Iams Company.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I'm really sold on the Wellness but not all dogs like it as it contains rosemary oil. I like the Royal Canin nearly as well and Marcus eats both of these much better than he did the Science Diet. Plus the main ingredient in Science Diet is corn while in the first two it's chicken.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I feed gadget royal canin. He used to get Science diet but he stopped liking it... I tried a can of eukanuba but he hated it... I was giving him chicken soup for the puppies soul canned food but he stopped like can food(was giving him it 2 times a day then 1 time a day) now he just gets his dry RC and he loves it... At dinner time I melt a little cheese on it and he chows it... other than that he gets just dry food... well besides his treats and popcorn.. hhehehe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Martini gets Royal Canin with about half a tablespoon of Merrick "Puppy Plate". That Merrick stuff is great.. it's all human-quality ingredients and actually makes me hungry just looking at it.. looks like beef stew! Beef, chicken, duck, turkey, carrots, peas, granny smith apples.. yum!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Martini's Mommy said:
Martini gets Royal Canin with about half a tablespoon of Merrick "Puppy Plate". That Merrick stuff is great.. it's all human-quality ingredients and actually makes me hungry just looking at it.. looks like beef stew! Beef, chicken, duck, turkey, carrots, peas, granny smith apples.. yum!
ever see the wing a ling they make? my co-worker almost ate it when i bought it in for chiwi! it was in a tupperware container lmao :lol:

i like royal canin, science diet and eukanuba

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Nate---My three absolutely loved the "Natural Balance"! However, Bruiser just really put the weight on eating it. :shock: He just looked like a little white piglet in no time at all!! But, Chloe looked great while eating it. She began to fill out and you could no longer see her little back bone.

So what I did for Bruiser is buy the "low calorie" and mixed it with the regular and he did better on it. :) Lost a little weight too. :)

Poor "Boo Boo"....he really struggles with his weight. :wink:

sandra

1 - 15 of 15 Posts