Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to take Holly to emergency vet she was flopped over and her legs were just like jerking she was choking on food and went limp and blue and not breathing it was a mess and I was a mess my children were freaking out and crying and so was I. I was whacking her on the back and trying to clear her throat and finally got it to where she finally started to breathe some but it was squeaky I knew it was still there but to the point she was getting air and started breathing again we rushed to the vet on the way to the vet she finally threw up and got the food up but raspy sounding so I wanted to make sure she did not aspirate any so we still had her checked out and they said she did not aspirate any and was overall looked healthy puppy but she does have a heart mumur. She said #3 she said all puppies are born with a mumur but usually goes away by 8 weeks she will 8 weeks on Tues. But we will have to have it recheck in a few weeks she also suggested having a cardio look at her. So now I am worried again. Anyone else have this issue with a puppy and it not be anything serious? No weight check as she said they had 2 parvo puppies in the back that had been in that area well that freaked me out she has only had 1 set of shots so far. What a night even my own children have never given me such a scare.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
So sorry for your night, but soooo thankful your puppy is alive! That would scare me to death. Sounds like one scare after another. I don't know what to tell you about the heart murmur--I've never dealt with that, but keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Wow, that would scared me no end. I am so glad she was able to throw it back up. I have had a dog with a heart murmur, but she had it when she came to me at the age of two. I guess you will have to play a waiting game to see if it closes up next visit.

·
Registered
311 Posts
When I was pregnant with my oldest who is now 22 ~ we were having a BBQ. I had a chow mix rescue Cheech (Cheech-O Mon Peach-O BahLeach-O) I loved that dog more than life itself. I was prepping for the BBQ and took 2 ribs to cook with the baked beans. These were uncooked country ribs that slid off the plate and hit the floor. Well before I got my big body bent over Cheech had grabbed one. No biggie, as it was an uncooked country rib... at least that's what I thought. He got that rib stuck on the left side of his mouth and wedged in his throat. Honest to Pete it the scariest choke I have ever seen in my life. And if I were totally honest it does edge out the choke my son had on a Dorito when he was about 4 although I probably wouldn't make that true confession to him. I cannot express how difficult it is to manage a choking dog, then add to that a very pregnant belly. I had to get a flathead screwdriver and pry that bone out of his mouth it would not come out with my fingers. Minutes seemed like hours! And then a trip to the vet, Cheecho was fine. Scary, there just aren't words and I know exactly how you feel. Because to this day if I think about that episode I still have a semi meltdown. That incident will stick with you forever.

As for the Murmur we currently have a 6 year old Beagle with a pretty serious one. She is my Mom's dogs. She tires easily and has coughing spells. The cough has a very unique sound, that we are all "used" to but if someone is around who isn't the look on their face when they hear it is total shock. Other than being the b1tchiest beagle I have ever encountered (she has a nasty attitude which is uncommon) she lives a normal, happy life. She just isn't able to exert herself like the other beagle and she doesn't run rabbits as she tires to easily. So even with a murmur just under the murmurs that require medication she lives a normal happy life. It really is no big deal and she is checked at the vet and she is fine although she isn't fine. So try not to be too worried about the murmur. The other Beagle has an allergy to grass and if I was forced to pick between having a dog with the murmur or a dog with the grass allergy, I would pick the murmur hands down. Mom has many more problems with the dog with the grass allergy. Not that I would want to have to pick, but just to show you a person would obviously think having to pick between those two conditions the allergy would be easiest and it's not. A murmur usually goes away and if it doesn't most of them are manageable.

So sorry you and your kids had to experience that, but thankful you were able to save her. Keep us posted on everything please.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I had a Mastiff for 10 years with a grade 6 heart murmur who lived a perfectly normal life we just didn't exert him too much as he would get faint. He didn't require any medication or testing.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys :) She seems to be doing well playing normal this morning :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Jenn, I am so sorry you, your kids, and your fur baby had to experience that. My new little one likes to inhale her food and scares the life out of me. I am following the suggestions given to help that. What part of GA are you in? Glad she is better.

Amy

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jenn, I am so sorry you, your kids, and your fur baby had to experience that. My new little one likes to inhale her food and scares the life out of me. I am following the suggestions given to help that. What part of GA are you in? Glad she is better.

Amy
I am in Covington South East side about 30 mins east of Atlanta. What part are you located in.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that you all had such a scary experience. It sounds like she is doing okay. I don't have any experience with heart murmurs in dogs so it is good to hear from some of the others on the board who have. Keep us posted on how she is doing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts