Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chica is estimated to be 6 months this Dec.(she was a rescue pup). So we planned to get her spay done this month, but I was thinking of waiting till Jan. after the holiday buzz. I'd rather have her spayed before she goes into her first heat. Do you guys think it is risky to wait till january? Thanks:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think it is best to have it done at 6 months but I waited to get Shea and Cocoa done at a year or a little over. I just felt more comfortable waiting until they were full grown. Shea was probably closer to 1 1/2 and she never came into heat. Cocoa was just a little over a year and unfortunately she came into heat before I had her spayed. Another thing to consider is small dogs retain a lot of baby teeth and they too should be removed during spaying so they don't have to go under anesthia a 2nd time. I think if you wait till 8 or 9 months that would be perfect plus it will give more time for some of those baby teeth to fall out.

Kristin

·
Registered
12 Posts
In Calif any shelter dog or cat is already spayed or neutered when it's adopted. And some dogs & cats are being adopted @ 8 weeks & up. But if a dog is to tiny then it's defered until it's bigger. I got Tula & Carlos when they were very small. Tula was spayed @ 7 mos & Carlos was neutered @ 3 mos. Lawna is 2 & 1/2 years and she will be spayed soon. Some places are spaying way to young, personally I think 6 mos on up is a good age.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our first dog, Boo, is a shepard/lab mix and she was spayed before we got her at about 9wks. She developed some irritation at the incision site and had to have antibiotics. The shelter where we got Chica at about 9 wks told me to bring her back in 4 months for her spay. Luckily they agreed to let me take her to my own vet for the spay. Thanks for the input. I feel better waiting till next month. December is so hectic with the holidays. in Jan. i'll be able to give her my full attention post op.:)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Boop (as in Betty) was 6 1/2 months. I worried that she might go into heat, I have zilch experience with little females, because she was beginning to mark when I took her for walks and that seemed adult to me, but she never went into heat.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
its safer before heat, so i would go with asap, ive had chis come into heat ON that 6mth mark, others not untill there closer to a year...so its difficult, if you want to be sure and miss that heat now would be the best...

vixie was spayed at 2 yrs but thats because she was a show girl and bred, difficulties required spay.

i prefer "pets" be done at 6 months. but 6-8months is the common recomendation of our vet for toy breeds!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Dolly was also rescued. She went into heat probably on day 1 of six months. I wish so much I had had her spayed before, but she had mange and some immunity issues, so we waited. It's not a HUGE big deal when they go into heat, I guess (Dolly took care of it pretty well), but I fretted and worried a LOT about any possibility of pregnancy. Also, FYI, if she does go into heat and you decide to wait, wait THREE months after the heat to spay. It seems like forever, but she won't go into heat again, and it's much safer...the uterus has a lot of blood flow during and immediately after heat, and there can be excessive bleeding. It's just better to wait (at that point).

But, if it were me, I would go ASAP. And I totally understand you wanting to wait till after the holidays, but if she goes into heat, you'll have a month of watching her like a hawk, vs. about a week of close care for her after the operation.

Good luck!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for all the input. I scheduled Chica's spay for the first week of Jan. This would be almost 7 months. Fingers crossed that she doesn't go into heat before than. By the way what are the signs that she is in heat? This is the first female dog I've had that hasn't already been spayed. I know they bleed, but that's at the end of the heat cycle, I'm assuming.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Does that go for males as well...the fact that it should be done at 6 months I mean...
I heard that if you waited longer with a male dog they were more likely to mark. Is this true??
Anyway, thanks ahead of time guys!!

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!! :) :)
D.B

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Yes DB, the 6-month month mark is usually when you should get your pups spayed/neutered.
And yes, if you wait longer your male dog might start marking, which can be a difficult habit to break!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
They start bleeding at the beginning of the cycle. They pretty much bleed for two weeks at least (Dolly did--maybe longer). I watched her like a hawk for over a month. NOT fun. She did keep herself clean though, and it wasn't a "thing" at all.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Trixie was spayed around 6 mo's, she was a rescue also, so not sure of her actual age. The vet told me that she was just coming into heat, but he did it anyway. We were visiting my daughter in Illinois and toke her to her vet, rather than wait till we got back to Arizona. Price was a lot less also. They didn't pull her teeth. I was told that they take a lot longer than other dogs to fall out. She was close to 1 1/2 when they finally fell out.

·
Banned
1 Posts
In my situation, we got Rebel neutered at around 3 years old. I'm not sure if the term "rescued" is accurate because we got him from my wife's aunt that loved him. Although, she did have 5 other dogs that were picking on him. Her aunt said its possible he might get killed, but it just didn't seem likely to me. Anyway long story short.. He came into our lives at 3 and we got him neutered to help control his aggression and because it's in our apartment lease to have a dog =/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts