Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I heard that a puppy can be let down on the floor outside (In a park say) and meet other dogs when it is 12 weeks old as long as it has had all of its injections thus far, but then I heard it has to be at 16 weeks after its last injection.

Is this true? Or can they be at 12?

I also heard that at 12 weeks it is ok to take them out as long as you carry them and only put them on the ground to piddle.
But I thought you had to socialize the pup as soon as poss!?

I’m quite confused now!

Help?!

Love n hugs

S xXx

·
Registered
530 Posts
It's up to you. There is a risk that your puppy could pick up disease if it isn't completly vaccinated... but the biggest time for socialization is before 16wks so it is up to you to weigh the risks. Charlie was outside when he was 8wks old, but not where other dogs were, just my yard. When we were where other dogs could have been I held him but we started a puppy socialization/obedience class at 14 weeks and he attended a puppy playgroup when he was 12 weeks old. We had to produce the shot record for both so I knew that all the puppies there had had the same vaccines. There is always a possibility that a puppy can get some type of infection and the vaccinations don't always protect them, Charlie had kennel cough after he had the vaccine (from a boarding kennel). Where you take your puppy and where you let him play on the ground is up to you. For me it was more important to socialize my puppy, I didn't feel the risk of him getting sick was that great. he never caught anything from being on the ground and I don't know any dogs that have. Bottom line you will know what you are comfortable with. Just enjoy your puppy!!! :D

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
jlcase said:
It's up to you. There is a risk that your puppy could pick up disease if it isn't completly vaccinated... but the biggest time for socialization is before 16wks so it is up to you to weigh the risks. Charlie was outside when he was 8wks old, but not where other dogs were, just my yard. When we were where other dogs could have been I held him but we started a puppy socialization/obedience class at 14 weeks and he attended a puppy playgroup when he was 12 weeks old. We had to produce the shot record for both so I knew that all the puppies there had had the same vaccines. There is always a possibility that a puppy can get some type of infection and the vaccinations don't always protect them, Charlie had kennel cough after he had the vaccine (from a boarding kennel). Where you take your puppy and where you let him play on the ground is up to you. For me it was more important to socialize my puppy, I didn't feel the risk of him getting sick was that great. he never caught anything from being on the ground and I don't know any dogs that have. Bottom line you will know what you are comfortable with. Just enjoy your puppy!!! :D
great advice!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Great advice! If you are really concerned about socializing your pup before all the vaccines are completed, do so in a controlled environment. This means in your home or yard and not the dog park or at training school, etc.. In my opinion it is easier to socialize a dog after 16 weeks (assuming 8, 12, 16 is the vaccine order you are going in) then get rid of a bad case of bronchopneumonia from bordatella, parvo, or distemper in a young dog. However, if you know exactly what dogs are coming and going into your house, and if they are sick or vaccinated, you have a much better chance of reducing risk to your puppy!

Good luck! -Nate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts