Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just a quick question: Wondering from what age can you start to train a dog to do sit, high 5 etc?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
As soon as you have the puppy.
I started with mine the second day they got home.
One thing to remember is that puppies have shorter attention spans so keep the sessions really short and fun.
So to make an example, Laska learnt sit that very first training day. Some puppies learn really really fast others take a little more time.
Just have patience and be fun!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
945 Posts
Everything you do from the minute you get them counts as training: you don't necessarily have to put aside special sessions. I taught Frodo 'come', 'wait' and 'drop' just in the course of playing with him, and worked on the 'sit' command at mealtimes (he has to sit before the bowl goes down). Once he'd got that, teaching tricks like shaking paws and high fives was quite easy. But they are all different - I'm still working on getting Florrie to come to me, as she thinks it's hilarious to run off in the opposite direction! Like kids, puppies are learning all the time.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Yes, immediately! Every moment is a training moment! Angel picked up some things real quick! But I found him much more responsive and eager to please at about 15 months old. I never stopped training up to that point,it just seemed to "click" more!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh wow, I had no idea you could train them this early! For some reason I thought she would be way too young!
Can you guys recommend good treats to use when training pups?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Mine go mad for cheese. Cheddar will do, but mine, being part of a middle-class, Guardian-reading family, :))) really go mad for Spanish Manchego....they'll do ANYTHING for that!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh wow, I had no idea you could train them this early! For some reason I thought she would be way too young!
Can you guys recommend good treats to use when training pups?
George will almost do flips for bits of pork. I've found that tiny bits of meat or cheese work really well. I also got a clicker, and that does wonders!

·
Registered
209 Posts
What is clicker training?- dog training | Dogmantics Dog Training

I had my puppy too young from his mother but I taught him sit & leave it at about 7 weeks lol, so you can never start too young! xx
heartgram, thanks for giving a link. I'm just now getting back to the thread :)

Cheese is smelly, so most dogs love it. I'm thinking of dusting tiny bits of it in flour, just enough to keep them from sticking to each other, and freezing it for training treats.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
heartgram, thanks for giving a link. I'm just now getting back to the thread :)

Cheese is smelly, so most dogs love it. I'm thinking of dusting tiny bits of it in flour, just enough to keep them from sticking to each other, and freezing it for training treats.
I had no idea it was OK to give them cheese! I always thought it was bad to give dogs "human" food! This forum is great, I've learned so much already!

With the clicker training, why is it considered better than just rewarding them? For instance, if you train them command-trick=reward, how does the clicker help that? As a hands up complete novice, it just seems like an extra step: command-click-trick=reward??
I've read some great reviews so I get that there must be something in it but I don't get why!?!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts