Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We've had our beautiful Axel for 5 weeks now and we couldn't love him more! I've always thought we would get a 2nd Chi eventually so the two could entertain each other while my hubby and I are at work but I was thinking this would be a year from now. I thought at 1 year old Axel would be fully trained and well adjusted to living with us and would set a good example for a new puppy. Even though he gets a walk morning and evening and I go home in my lunch hour to visit him most days (some days hubby works from home so I get a break) I still feel guilty that he spends so much time home alone while we're at work. Is it too soon to get another dog to keep him company? I would feel less guilty about leaving them home together but I want to be sure i'm doing the right thing by the dogs so Axel and any future pup would be well adjusted and happy. At what stage did all of you add a second dog to your family and what was the adjustment period like for your first dog? I wouldn't want Axel to feel left out, he plays really well with the others at puppy school but it's different brining another pup into his home with his people. Any advice would be most appreciated.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Lion was 7 months old when I brought Penny home. During the car ride home, he didn't want anything to do with her. A few days later they were the best of friends!

The first day we had her, Lion would only sniff her and growl.

Best friends now:)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, how sweet! That 2nd pic makes me feel like I need to run out and get Axel a little buddy immediately! Was Lion a good big brother training wise or was it distracting to have him there when you were trying to show Penny the right thing to do? Also do you feel like your house is overrun with dogs having 2? Is it easy to get out and about with them when your are trying to keep an eye on 2?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I had Bella for 3 weeks when I decided to take one of her litter mates as well. Best decision ever! They are literally lost without each other.. they play, fight, cuddle, groom, everything with and to each other!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you get Izzie for that reason, to keep Bella company when you were at work?

I think I'm just reluctant to go from no dogs to 2 in the space of 2 months. My friends already think i need a doggie intervention because I go home to visit Axel in my lunch hour and because I left dinner with them early once because I thought he would be lonely!

·
Registered
894 Posts
No, I work from home doing daycare for 2 siblings, so I am always with them. I got Izzie cuz I really wanted another and she became available, and also for a playmate for Bella. Us owners can play with them, but there is no comparison to another doggy playmate/sibling. We do things sometimes where we need to leave them at home, not often and never more then a couple hours, but I like not having to leave just 1 at home all alone, especially having 2 now, I would never be able to leave just 1 at home! It's not all that more difficult.. having 2. And you gotta think, sometimes adding another later on when your pup is potty trained, might make yours regress. And it'd be kinda nice to potty train them both at the same time! :) We are all just enablers here... :p

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm... I had a feeling no one here would tell me not to get another Chi!

I will have to chat through with my husband and see how he feels about getting another one. He loves Axel but the toilet training issues are driving him a little crazy so i'm not sure cleaning up after 2 would be high on his agenda (but I clean up most of the puddles anyway so not sure he gets a vote there). Hopefully the toilet training will improve over the next few weeks - Axel is nearly 14 weeks and he goes on the wee wee pads about 50% of the time, I know Chi's can take a bit longer than other breeds.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Oh, how sweet! That 2nd pic makes me feel like I need to run out and get Axel a little buddy immediately! Was Lion a good big brother training wise or was it distracting to have him there when you were trying to show Penny the right thing to do? Also do you feel like your house is overrun with dogs having 2? Is it easy to get out and about with them when your are trying to keep an eye on 2?
As far as training goes, I feel like it was easier for me to socialize Penny because I just carried her when I took Lion on walks every day. He was reliably potty trained before we got her, but I don't think that made a difference in her potty training. Some say that the new dog will copy the first dog and be easier to potty train but that wasn't the case here.

I live in a tiny apartment (650 sq ft) and no, I don't feel overrun at all! It is actually the opposite because they keep each other entertained most of the day. I walk them together on two separate leashes and they behave pretty well. I do walk them at least 2X per day since I live in such a small space and I want them to get enough exercise.

I would say a 2nd dog has made Lion much happier... I don't feel as bad leaving him alone when I have to go to school. I am glad I didn't buy a 2nd dog right away though( I got Lion at 3 months, so we didn't have Penny for another 4), as I had time to train Lion and enjoy him being a puppy before I had to jump right into training another.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Lexie was about 6 months old when I got Chance.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So basically what i'm getting from everybody is that you got your second sooner rather than later and had no regrets about not waiting.

I do want to treasure the time I have with Axel as a puppy and not have him feel jealous or left out but I see how much he loves playing with other dogs and how happy he is to have company when I get home and I really think he would love a little playmate.

My breeder has pups pretty regularly so I guess I just need to start working on my husband. Meanwhile we will head up to my parents farm this weekend so Axel can play with and be mothered by Mum's Jack Russel Ruby.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Shayley was 6 1/2 years old when I adopted Kizzie. My moms dog passed away and I knew I wanted to get Shayley another friend. Shayley was much older but you would think they grew up together! They are best friends. Kizzie was 2 years old when I adopted Kaige. They are even more nuts together! lol I love it though!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Pedro is half Chi - he was 3 years when we introduced 5 month old Gracie to the picture.

Gracie was 16 months when 10 week old Diesel turned her world upside down!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Upside down in a good way or a bad way?

I was thinking getting another while Axle is still young might make the adjustment less of an upheaval.

We met a Jack Russel in the park last night and Axle was beside himself he was so happy to have someone to play with. I throw the ball for him for 10 mins a coule of times a day but i guess its not the same. He will have my mum's Jack Russel to play with all weekend so that will make him happy. Hopefully seeing them together will convince my husband that we need a second. He doesn't seem dead set against it (probably because I do all the feeding, walking and poop collecting) so keep fingers crossed for me. My breeder has a little chocolate and tan smoothcoat girl who will be ready to go in 4 weeks so she may be the one!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Tobias was 2 1/2 years old when Krystal came along. But Tobias has his "big dogs" friends. Krystal was almost 6 months old and Priscilla arrived, they both are exactly the same age and get on like house on fire within an hour Priscilla arrived. They are bestest of friends. When both Krystal and Priscilla 10 months old. Bonnie arrived and the girls didn't bother about Bonnie at play time until at least weeks later. Bonnie was tiny while the 2 girls were almost in adult size. Beginning of last month, Harmonee arrived and now she is the one who is in charge of everything. The older girls / boy just let her get away with almost everything (so do the humans in the house).

All my dogs (7 including 2 Staffies) get on very well almost straight away from day one. I did feel a little guilt when I get another new puppy, but seeing everybody gets on so well, playing together and never fight for anything also convince me I have made the right decision when each new dog arrived. I am also lucky the younger ones like to follow the older ones, so to even make toilet training very well and fast.

PS I don't think I will have more Chi for at least a long time now, I feel the family is complete. I still have this aww factor when I see pictures of any puppies but I don't have that I want factor either.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Baby, ninja and prada are a year apart from each other in that order and beau is 9 months old. Originally prada was left alone all day when my ex was at work then we decided to get beau prada at that time was 2 1/2 yrs old they are the best of friends prada seems so much more happy now! Prada and beau share the same mommy diff dads. I always think 2 is better than 1! Seems easier they entertain each other even when you're home.

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
i got my second when my first was nearly 3, i didnt really want it to work that way but our lease was that we could only have 2 animals and we already had a cat - when we moved i got my second and my third when he was nearly 18 months which worked much better as they are much closer (and she is only about 6 months younger than him) - my first chi is quite independant i think cuz she was an only dog for so long she does play with the other 2, but the other 2 are best friends

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.