Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 week old little chihuahua pup and I just wanted to know at what age should I start leash training.
Also, at what age should I introduce her to collars or harnesses?

Thanks in advance!
:hello1:

·
Registered
86 Posts
i would introduce your pup to it all now slowly so by the time they are old enough to actually go for walks etc they are used to both a harness and walking on a leash they will be comfortable. start out in your livivng room while they are a pup or your backyard......it will make it so much easier for when the time comes to take them out into the real world!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Phew ! We've been walking Diego since a week after his 2nd Jab.... It took him a while to get used to it, but loves it now.... Hes into everything when we go on or little adventures.....

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Start training her now :) First get her used to wearing a collar and good harness. Then add a leash and just let her drag it around. After that, start holding the leash and let her lead you around. Then you've got all the hard stuff out of the way. The sooner, the better!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
So you have a 12 week old chi puppy? Is this Prada in your siggy? Because in your other post, you say you don't have her yet. Which is it?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Hope is 14 weeks and we just got a harness and the Flexi retractable leash a few days ago. She tries her best to rip off the harness and then goes crazy once we connect the leash! It is too cold for outside so we were just pretending inside. We will keep at it until it gets warmer outside.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Hope is 14 weeks and we just got a harness and the Flexi retractable leash a few days ago. She tries her best to rip off the harness and then goes crazy once we connect the leash! It is too cold for outside so we were just pretending inside. We will keep at it until it gets warmer outside.
so cute that you pretend walk inside while its cold..

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I will be getting Izzy at 9 weeks and she will have a collar on immediately when I am still at the breeders, and she will be in a harness from the very 1st few days of having her!

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
No, I don't think that's Prada... She said in a post earlier that that was her friend's puppy. Here's that post...: http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chi-chat/58306-%A33500-chi-puppy-6.html ;)
Hi Every one, Let me clarify that once and for all!
Its funny how everyone is so interested

The photo I sent earlier is Crystal Nola, who is Prada's older sis
After I bought Prada, my friend decided she wants a companion for her yorkshire terrier (princess) and she got one too.
I have also accidentally met the lady who bought Neo, Prada's brother so I have kept in contact with her too so that all three pups can be reunited later to play (we all thought it would be a fun idea)
They also have another sister but she has been sold to a lady in Ireland so she will be far away
Prada, Crystal and Neo are all white/cream but at this moment Prada has a more cream colored coat, Crystal has a slightly longer muzzle and she is bigger than the rest. Neo is the whitest and he is so cute because he has a slightly bigger forehead.
Their other sibling is a pretty sable color and she is the smallest.

As for Prada,
she has been with us for roughly 6 weeks now (so not very long)
Crystal is happily staying with my friend (kamelia) in london.
Neo was picked up 3 weeks after the other 2 because her owner (dan) has not had a chance to take time off work

My Fiance had an idea to start a website for prada and a blog to write about her
I update it whenever I get a chance too, but when he made it for me, we wanted to start the story from the beginning.
So whenever either of us gets time off work or a bit of spare time we find some photos and vids and post them online
I am trying to keep it in chronological order, but we are running a tad behind because we can't post anything weeks at a time (mainly because I am clueless if paddy doesn't help out)
I will force him to sit down with me and bring everything up do date asap and I am flattered that some of you even bothered looking at my blog

If there are any more questions or concerns you know where to find me
:)

P.s
A Big Thanks to everyone for the advice about leash training

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Hi Every one, Let me clarify that once and for all!

As for Prada,
she has been with us for roughly 6 weeks now (so not very long)
I truly am not trying to be picky, but I am trying to understand your posts which are very confusing!

According to your website about Prada C.A.N ~ Chihuahua Adorers Network She was born on November 1, 2010. If so, that would make her about 8 weeks old. So how is it that she has been with you for 6 weeks?

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I truly am not trying to be picky, but I am trying to understand your posts which are very confusing!

According to your website about Prada C.A.N ~ Chihuahua Adorers Network She was born on November 1, 2010. If so, that would make her about 8 weeks old. So how is it that she has been with you for 6 weeks?

I am sorry if this is confusing
If it makes it easier to understand ignore the website/blog
My posts on this forum have all obviously been chronological and I have asked/ commented on things on the day as it came along. In fact I first joined because I had a question
And the websites, let me explain in more detail
We made the blog and we add info whenever we get a chance to (try to keep it chronological in order of events without missing any important events in prada's life, but its not date specific.. because sometimes we can post e.g 2 things 1 month, and the next we can't post anything)
He made the website first when I initially went to see prada as a cute surprise 4 me and wrote the intro and he made all the different sections for it and all the link things u click on etc... to write everything on the website he counted back the days and guestimated prada's bday etc..
The website was never meant to be serious and it was meant to be a happy page written from a dogs point of view. The main point of it being to surprise me and to share with family and friends.
We then added a few pics to the website but paddy said that it is limited to the number of pages and tabs it can have on it (meaning that everything on it must be deleted to add more info on it) and because it is a free website every 6 or so months apparently it needs to have smth added to it
so we just left it as that and thought about carrying on with the blog whenever we get a chance to instead
When paddy wakes up I will ask him to edit it for me and post a pic of Prada's pedigree and other info/pics there too
And as for the blog, if you think it is better, we can sit down and do 4-5 posts in 1 day and bring it up to date (I just thought its nicer to keep the suspense going but obviously no one gets what I was doing so there isn't a point)
I do not fully understand why I have to explain every aspect of what my fiance and I have chosen to do. Its not like we are criminals!
Why is it even important for me to bring him into all this and justify al decisions made? It was a fun thing for us to do together because I love pets and he loves his gadgets and computer
Every one needs to just see it as it is and calm down...
A website made by us, for friends and family to see some cute pics of prada and sharing how our life is together, nothing more, nothing less

I am happy to answer more questions or concerns again to put this to a rest
but I must say I am starting to feel a bit mis-treated honestly
And ALL this because of a quote I wrote from my PetChi dog Book (which I had bought because my breeder recommended it and said it has lots of info, you can google the book, I am not saying books are 100% right, but I was not trying to harm anyone, just thought I will share some info I had payed to get) and for saying what I feed Prada??!!! Would everyone be happy if I delete that post? I wouldn't mind honestly
Next thing u know ppl will come to my house and beat us LOL:p
I am not trying to offend anyone, be rude or harm anyone (or any Chi) in ANY way
If my blog or website bother you... why go on them?
If me posting on this forum annoys u... I am happy to say goodbye and never post anything again because ALL I wanted here to talk to nice people and make friends for prada and I wanted to seek some advice on dog showing once Prada is a bit older.
(P.s paddy thinks all this is funny, but I am saddened :( )
Good night all

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Im with Brodysmom & find the whole thing a bit strange & frankly unbelievable. Your posts on here & your blog are complete opposites. You also state that you hardly have time to update your blog yet when I took a peek this morning the whole thing has been redone. You even have a pic up of prada at 16 weeks old but if she was born on Nov 1 there is no way she is that age.

·
Registered
768 Posts
i would start straight away!!
When i got my 1st chi Lola the weather here was awful, we had lots of snow and ice and i just didnt want 2 bring myself to walk her out in the snow! i left it quite a while for the weather to get better and the vet sed to me u really need to get her out on the lead else she`ll hit "teenage age" and she will none of it and be really naughty!!
So i immediatly started taking her out!!
After a few weeks i introduced the harness which i feel is much safer, i would never walk mine again on just a collar...
see how u get on, u will get there eventually, both mine did... Penny is 1 year now and she sometimes can still be a naughty by putting her brakes on and not wanting to walk! think its a chihuahua thing! xxx

1 - 20 of 32 Posts