Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kemo is really getting alot of exercise and I am dreading this winter......what do you guys do? I bought him boots but I doubt he will wear them, they are the smallest they make and they still seem too big, I got him a coat but that is just not enough for a cold, wet, snowy winter. My apartment is really small, I have lots of rooms...but they are all small. I can't think of any indoor place to walk him.....I don't want my baby getting lazy! He is not much fun in the house to play and just goes to his crate or just wants to be petted. I try to let us play chase but that only lasts awhile....ANY SUGGESTIONS? :shock:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
This is a good question -- I enjoy my daily walks with Bosco and will miss them when its cold out. Once it gets cold out I would just bundle up Kemo and see how he does. Maybe the cold won't bother him that bad?

Hmmm...My suggestions are taking him to the local PetSmart to walk around. (he could sample the toys while in there!) - maybe you could also sign Kemo up for an agility course or intermediate obedience class this winter - at least you would get that one day a week of exercise. Also my PetSmart has a dog social hour each Saturday - would Kemo like to do something like that? It is a blocked off area where the dogs can run and jump and play with each other.

Gosh I can't think of anything else...Kemo doesn't really fetch or anything in the house? What about hide and seek - if you hide in another room will he run around and look for you?

If all else fails, it doesn't get much better than snuggling up with a Chi on a cold winter evening to watch movies and munch on popcorn. :D

I'm anxious to hear other people's ideas!

Anna

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unlike his buddy Bosco Kemo is not the social type........he will attack! the petsmart has social hour but..........he cant even warm up to the dogs at his class *SIGH*

This is what I am fearing Anna.....I will definately bundle him up but....there will be days that I can't do anything. He will chase me (like hide and seek) but its not the cardio workout I want him to have :D

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I'm telling ya, get one of those Kung Fu hamsters! If he is anything like Bosco he will attack that thing and really work up a sweat! lol...or you could get a Furby. Bosco spazs out when one of those get near him too. The poor Furby is now missing an ear. :( lol

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boogaloo said:
I'm telling ya, get one of those Kung Fu hamsters! If he is anything like Bosco he will attack that thing and really work up a sweat! lol...or you could get a Furby. Bosco spazs out when one of those get near him too. The poor Furby is now missing an ear. :( lol
LOL poor furby!!!! Bosco!!!

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I don't know what to do either!
Sandy will play fetch for about 3 tosses and then she just looks at me like "Why did you do that"
She plays tug of war but get tired of that real fast too.
That's why I decided to get another chi. So she will have someone to play with and get exercise. She tries to play with the cats but the 2 that will play with her sleep like cats LOL.
Mommy is just so boring.
Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Can't you get one of those heavy Doggie snow suits? A bite to put on but very warm. They also have hoods. As for the paws...... can you put on socks with them? You can use doll baby socks. OHHHHHH how about this. get some strechie doll socks that fit snug like stockings and then hot glue some non skid to the bottom...LOL sounds dumb but probably would work. That way he has the sock for warmth and then the non skid for traction and also like a barrier on the bottom for cold :?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
The snow suit would look so adorable and you are right, it would be really warm for the doggie...but I know my wiggly little worm wouldn't let me put it on him! :D But that is a good idea for the less-wiggly Chihuahuas. If anyone has a dog snow suit I would love to see a photo. :D

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes the snowsuits are a pain but not bad if you are going for a long walk. I would use the regular heavy cloak type coat for simple potty breaks

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I wish I could help you w/ advice. My chi gets all his exercise w/ my kitty Eerie. They run all over the house chasing each other. Wasn't it you (kemo's mama) that said your husbands allergic to cats? If so I guess that's out. :roll: I think my cat thinks I bought her the best toy ever. She has so much fun w/ Mikey.
I also live in Louisiana so we don't get too cold here..so hey, you could always move south! :toothy2:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
You guys are too funny! No cats you are right about that and as much as I want another chi, I think it may be disaterous at this point plus my landlord might not go for it...Snow suits....well as much as he may be pee'd or poo'd up he always has some "extra" for his walks...that could be messy short of a doggy diaper NO I am not going there....what a mess to clean up! :lol:
Cuddles don't think I havent thought of that idea, I was half gonna cut up these boots and uses parts!! LOL I can't find any tight socks, even in the baby dept I have looked. I never knew chi paws were so darn small and skinny!
We gotta put our heads together people!! :roll:
Rent a hall and have a chi exerscise program :D :D

·
Registered
400 Posts
try at a craft store in the doll and bear dept.

Lets see there is Micheals and AC Moore right down where route 30 meets Lititz Pike I believe. Right where the Giant is and also ChiChi's do you know whee I mean... Crud. Now I'm thinking of the wrong person I think :? I know 2 people in Pa. and i'm not sure where you are... oh wait, was it near Willow somewhere?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh Cuddles now my feelings are hurt!!! :cry: Willow Grove.

I have a Michaels and stuff like that I will try.... :D Thanks

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Hey Kemo's mama, I live pretty close to you! It's too bad Kemo is shy around other dogs, we could have had a play date with him and Harley! :lol: :wave:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know I still think he would be ok with other chi's in time.......ya never know!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts