Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted another Chi for months now, I originally thought 2 Chis are good enough as I have medium size dogs which I rescued too.

Anyway, the more I look at my 2 Chis, especially my LH girl, she just melts everybody's heart in our home. So I decided to search for Chi # 3. I managed to find a breeder only breeds LH Chi. I talked to him on the phone and he seems very nice and knows what he's talking about etc. So now I am planning to go and visit on Sunday, to check out the parents of the Chi puppy that I will have in the near furture.

The Chi Mum just weaned off the puppies and they were all sold now. So I have to wait for the Chi Mum to get into season again, which probably will be in 3 - 4 months, then if luckily enough, she would have the puppies in about 5 months time or at around that time. That means I am looking for at least 8 months before I get to have another Chi LH girl.

What am I doing here? Have I done the right thing? Part of me think it's cool because that means I can prepare everything, and Krystal will be around 1 year old, Tobias will be older before the new puppy arrives. And my other dogs also won't get very disturbed and changed their routine again so soon. Then part of me thinking I could probably easily search more and find a breeder who have already got some LH puppies waiting for a new home and then I could just go and get one almost straight away. Rescuing is harder in UK as most breed in the shelters are bigger dogs.

So is it really worth it waiting for 6 months at least for a new puppy? And if there's no girls in the coming litter, I might have to wait even longer. I also have to pay a desposit to reserve one which I prepared to do it anyway, just the same as what I have to do with waiting for Krystal and Tobias, just not as long as what I put myself into this time. I know one thing for sure, after Sunday I pay the deposit, the coming half a year to 8 months will be like 10 years, time might pass by very slow. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
I would love to have another, so I'm not the one to answer your questions!

But...I would be concerned about a pup from a mother who is being bred back to back like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have made myself more clear, the breeder has 3 Mums, (not too sure how many Dads) most of them are in season at around the same time, about a couple of weeks different I think. This one who has the puppies recently will not be bred again until the resting period. The breeder also have a vet friend who will check the Mums to make sure they are healthy enough and he would get them mated when they are in season. I am going to have a good view on Sunday before making my decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,658 Posts
I think its a good idea too go and look and find out if this is the breeder for you

BUT i wouldn't pay any deposit for pups that aren't even there yet!! no breeder that i know of would want you too

There is plenty of pups around at the minute i know of quite a few from show breeders all over the uk so you could try a few!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right thanks for the adivse, I will do that. I was thinking while this breeder sounds good, I don't know if paying the deposit for such a long time and have to wait is a good idea or not. That's why I posted here.

I have emailed to another breeder, who based in London, it will be about 3 hours drive from where I am, but I am also willing to drive there to check it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
It sounds like you are doing all the right things. You are looking into the breeder and being patient. I have five so three seems fine to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update. I have decided not to go to this breeder today after a thought. The family talked about it again and I took all your advise and also those who PM'd me on board. It's not really the waiting time, it's because we didn't know what's going to happen if we ever paid the deposit and then waited for such a long time. And "freedomchis" is right, that it's best not to put down a deposit for a pup and is not even there yet.

While I text the breeder that we meant to go to him today that we decided to go to someone who have already got some puppies or even the Mum Chi is pregnant. He became pretty pushy and asking me how much I am willing to pay, he has friends who are breeders can sell my a puppy and will costs just less than £1000. I know it's not the best way to do, but I ignore his text because our decision was made and I have told him we were not going more than a day notice. He started to call my mobile #, it did make me very uncomfortable. Good breeders don't have to be so pushy IMO. So that shows really.

I have also called the breeder who bred Krystal and although she is taking some times off breeding, she told me if I really want a puppy, I could have the one she was keeping. same age and born on the same day as Krystal but from different Chi Mum and Dad. So we will think about that.

Thanks again
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
6,452 Posts
WOW I am glad you didn't go with that breder. Good luck. Keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,659 Posts
hi i would like another chih but the time is not right for me just yet good luck on your search im sure your very excited as your looking keep us posted
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top