Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering which brands everyone uses and recommends. More so for my 8 wk old. Her breeder had her on Pro Plan puppy, which seems ok. Just wondering if there is a better food for them out there. I know certain foods tend to do better w/ certain breeds, etc. Thanks :wink:

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I LOVE Hill's Science Diet.

One of my dogs had some food related allergies and Science Diet just seems to be working great for them now.
The bites are very small.

·
Registered
810 Posts
We like Royal Canin mini. Both my chi's eat a ton of it and they looks so healthy and shiney!! The best part is that they only go poo about twice a day!! The poo in nice and hard and easy to clean up!! Sounds funny doesn't it? :D

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I feed Zeus Natural Balance. Prior to that, he was on Solid Gold Wee Bits. Both can be bought either at a feed store or pet store. Grocery stores generally don't carry it. I switched only because the place I bought the Solid Gold started to not have it in stock. Both brands have no fillers ingredients and is all natural.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I just dont remember Rico being as small as she is! Then again, its been a little while. She likes the Pro Plan but does seem to have a problem eating the peices of food. Takes her a bit :) I even soak it in hot water and soften it a bit before feeding her. That helps a little. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
RitaNRicosmama - Thank you. Zeus is a Blue Chi. When he was about 6 months old, he started to show some brindle like markings. He's now a year old. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
kike' likes to eat solid gold wee bits. but i did have a sample of innova evo and he liked that so i think i will get a bag of that and switch them up so he can get both.

·
Registered
33 Posts
you don't want to get a dog food with corn as one of their main ingredients. a lot of chihuahuas tend to be allergic to it and it's just a filler. it's like us eating mc donalds which is pretty much empty calories. my chi was on pedigree, iams, and puppy chow (the breeder had her on it) and she kept scratching and her fur was very flaky. i started feeding her chicken soup for the dog lover's soul and she did much better on it. plus, the food is all natural. canidae, nutro, blue buffalo, royal canin, just to name a few are very good brands. they're a little expensive. i paid $8 for an 8pound bag but it lasts me a very long time because my chi doesn't eat very much.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
eukanuba

i also feed my cosmo with eukanuba small bite puppy
and my cat gets eukanuba easy digest (for cats ofcourse) :wink:
i didnt know this brand was so worldwide...;;i think it's one of the best there is

kisses nat

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Natural Balance

Royal Canin mini

Lots of natural good foods out there like :Chicken Soup as mentioned/Back to Basics/Flint River etc etc

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
When I took Koke to the vet for her skin problem they told me that Innova
is the best food for skin and hair because it has the most omega 6 fatty acids in it. Next on the list is Nutura.
They both make puppy foods also.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mine is on Hill's Science Diet. We tried a lot of different brands and this is the one that Richie likes most

Richie's mom

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Tucker is on Eukanuba Small Bite Adult. As a puppy, he refused every other food I tried him on, to the point of almost have a hypoglycemic incident. I was trying to switch him from the Eukanuba when this happened, so I just gave in and kept him on it. (At the time he was on the Eukanuba Small Breed Puppy). :)

Whatever food works for your puppy is the one you should use. If he is doing well on the Pro-Plan, I would not get on the "which food to try" rollercoaster. It can be very frustrating, believe me. JMHO. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts