Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother's boxer was poisoned the other night. He's been having problems with the neighbor for about 4 years now and already killed a stray my brother had taken in. This neighbor puts poison out in his back yard to kill any and all animals. My brother has an underground fence so his 3 boxers never leave the yard, but apparently a skunk had eaten the poison and been dead a while. The neighbor threw it over the fence and one of the boxer's ate it. They got him to the vet the next morning and the vet said he should be alright, but I noticed he's feverish & I know it's going to take time for this dog to get back to normal as he was almost dead (foaming at the mouth and vomiting, diarrhea with blood). I've heard something about charcoal tabs & was wondering if they would be o.k. to absorb any poison that might be left in his system? The vet gave the dog some kind of shot but that was it. The dog feels feverish to me and I need to know what would be good to give him. This neighbor neutered this dog when he was a pup right in my brother's back yard when my brother was either at work or during the night. This guy obviously knew what he was doing 'cause the dog didn't bleed out and my brother didn't even know it happened until he started wondering why the dogs balls weren't dropping. The vet comfirmed the dog had been neutered with some kind of sharp pocket knife.
I can't seem to get anyone to do anything about this sicko!! He has to be stopped as he's not only endanger the wild life in the area, but my 6 year old visit my brother regularly.
If anyone has experience with poisoning and a surviving animal, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you still have concerns regarding the dog, I would take him back to the vet or at least call the vet for advice before giving him anything. Poor pup, hope he has a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Call the police! That's illegal, and even if the police can't prove it was the neighbor they will do an investigation. That poor dog. I hope he feels better.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
When Smoke got posioned, we just treated the seizures he was having and let the posion work through his system. It took about 4 months for the seizures to stop and his liver enzymes to go back to normal and 8 months for most of his neurological symptoms to abate. He still has neurological quirks and is a little slow, but somehow he survived. I am so sorry this neighbor is still causing trouble. I remember you talking about him before. I hope your brother's dog pulls through.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Call the police! That's illegal, and even if the police can't prove it was the neighbor they will do an investigation. That poor dog. I hope he feels better.
I did call the police--there's always an excuse, outside of city limits, passing the buck. They just don't care enough about animals to do anything.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When Smoke got posioned, we just treated the seizures he was having and let the posion work through his system. It took about 4 months for the seizures to stop and his liver enzymes to go back to normal and 8 months for most of his neurological symptoms to abate. He still has neurological quirks and is a little slow, but somehow he survived. I am so sorry this neighbor is still causing trouble. I remember you talking about him before. I hope your brother's dog pulls through.
He seems to be doing o.k. except for the lack of energy and the body temperature.
I order a bottle of Toxiban with Sorbitol and want to see if that helps. It's supposed to be activated charcoal. I don't know if it will help since we didn't use it right away, but I don't see what it would hurt to use it now. I plan to call different vets to ask about this stuff.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I did call the police--there's always an excuse, outside of city limits, passing the buck. They just don't care enough about animals to do anything.
That is messed up. I know your frustrated about it. My daughter wants to be an "animal superhero" when she grows up. Maybe she can do something when she grows up. But while we wait have you tried the humane society? I don't know if there is one there or not. I'm really really sorry your bother and you are having to go through this.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is messed up. I know your frustrated about it. My daughter wants to be an "animal superhero" when she grows up. Maybe she can do something when she grows up. But while we wait have you tried the humane society? I don't know if there is one there or not. I'm really really sorry your bother and you are having to go through this.
You daughter sounds just like me-- I always wanted to be an animal superhero--doesn't every little girl? I still want to be one, but then reality hits! I feel so powerless, so useless. Money, definitely is the root of all evil and without it, there doesn't seem to be much we can do. It rips me apart to see animals hurt/hurting. I even feel guilty because I only own 1 little chi. I'd like another chi someday (from a shelter or that needs a home).
Tell your daughter that it's a wonderful thing to be able to dream & some dreams do come true. I hope hers does!! Lord knows these poor animals need a superhero!!!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
You daughter sounds just like me-- I always wanted to be an animal superhero--doesn't every little girl? I still want to be one, but then reality hits! I feel so powerless, so useless. Money, definitely is the root of all evil and without it, there doesn't seem to be much we can do. It rips me apart to see animals hurt/hurting. I even feel guilty because I only own 1 little chi. I'd like another chi someday (from a shelter or that needs a home).
Tell your daughter that it's a wonderful thing to be able to dream & some dreams do come true. I hope hers does!! Lord knows these poor animals need a superhero!!!
I do understand that money is an issue for sure. I told her that in order for her to go to the college of her choice (Texas A&M) that she would have to get a scholarship. So right now she is a straight A student and working hard, and when she gets old enough we are hoping to get her a volunteer work at a shelter. I'm hoping that will look good on her college resume.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do be careful about giving the dog anything. I do know if you give to much active charcoal it takes the needed nutrients out as well. I'd call the vet, EVet, or poison control to see what after effects are normal. Have the printout of what the vet gave or did to the dog on hand.
Good luck and I'm sorry you have to go thru this.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Am I misunderstanding something here?

The neighbour did a surgical procedure on this dog when he was a puppy, at night or when the owner was not around, was there no screaming from the dog as I'm sure that would have hurt without aneasthetic. Surely other neighbours would have heard something?
The police will do nothing? Surely at the very least that is willful damage to someone elses property? Surely the police should have done something about that at the time?
There are laws against carrying out veterinary medicine, be it medication or surgery, without a license surely? Especially in the US according to all the TV prgrammes I've seen.

On the other hand poisoning pet dogs, on their own property, is also against any countries laws.

I hope your brothers dog is feeling better soon but to be honest I'd sort out the neighbour myself if the authorities won't do anything about it.

Have you told the police that there are children at the property as well that could very well have got hold of the poison?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Am I misunderstanding something here?

The neighbour did a surgical procedure on this dog when he was a puppy, at night or when the owner was not around, was there no screaming from the dog as I'm sure that would have hurt without aneasthetic. Surely other neighbours would have heard something?
The police will do nothing? Surely at the very least that is willful damage to someone elses property? Surely the police should have done something about that at the time?
There are laws against carrying out veterinary medicine, be it medication or surgery, without a license surely? Especially in the US according to all the TV prgrammes I've seen.

On the other hand poisoning pet dogs, on their own property, is also against any countries laws.

I hope your brothers dog is feeling better soon but to be honest I'd sort out the neighbour myself if the authorities won't do anything about it.

Have you told the police that there are children at the property as well that could very well have got hold of the poison?
This neighbor had to sedate the dog as it is a boxer and boxer puppies can be big. There would have been no way for him to keep this dog still without some sort of sedation.
The police won't do anything 'cause we can't prove it.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
This neighbor had to sedate the dog as it is a boxer and boxer puppies can be big. There would have been no way for him to keep this dog still without some sort of sedation.
The police won't do anything 'cause we can't prove it.
I'm really sorry. That just sounds like laziness on the police department. If your brother can afford it, maybe some security cameras would be good, or a big light for night time in the backyard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts