Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

as I am flying with Rocky on 2nd June, and his old carrier is slowly falling appart, I wanted to ask you what carriers you use during flights??

Rocky is rather a bigger Chi (3.5kg) so I would want one that suits him. So far I had a T-bag (trixie), but it didnt seem to last long.

I am quite interested in the sturdibags, but am kind of confused about what size to get. Does anyone have a sturdibag? Are all sizes allowed in the airplaine? I think I would rather get him an L (46 x 30.5 x 30.5cm) instead of an S (46 x 25 x 25cm).

Am happy to hear what carriers you use, and whether anyone has experiences with the sturdibag. Would also consider a different carrier, if its any good.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It seems like many of them are sold out :S. They also seem quite small and I would preferably have a carrier which I can open from the top and from the side.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Be sure and call your airline as most have certain specifications for their seating on their airlines. I think they have to fit under your seat or the seat in front of you. I use one that I got off of ebay that looks like a backpack on wheels, it can also be a backpack and carrier so multipurpose and has always come in handy for other needs ;-)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Michelle.

My airline requires a carrier that measures 50 x 30 x 20cm. But they are quite open about that. I think that is as 20cm is difficult to achieve. Luckily I never had to put Rocky unter the front seat yet!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I flew with 2 chi's under the front seat. Southwest will ONLY fly animals that fit under the seats. No cargo. They sell carriers, and I bought two. They are long, but only 9" or so high. I bought their carriers, as I thought they wouldn't get upset with my ferret carriers. Those are 10 1/2 inches tall, and would have to be 'quished' down a little. I bought those carriers with me to use when we got to our destination. My chi's LOVE their ferrer carriers!!! I flew from Chicago to Manchester VT. Good luck. Mine were extremely good during the whole trip! Sue Davis

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm always flying with Lufthansa, as they are the only ones that allow pets in cabin. So far they seemed really easy going. They are find with Rockys (old) bag which is 48 x 27 x 25cm. I might just by the same one again.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I definitely recommend the wheel around carrier out of personal experience
It is quite sturdy and you can carry it with the handle, as a back pack or wheel it around and I also use it as a doggy car seat :)
Have a look at it see if you like it. I ordered it a while back from G.W little, don't know if they still sell it though

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I am not speaking from experience here; but I do happen to have a carrier that might be a brand you'd be interested in. It actually comes with a "Guarantee" that it'll be approved on an airline!

I was at a rummage sale last weekend that had "fill a bag for a buck" on the second day. Anything they couldn't sell the day before; you could pile into a shopping bag and just pay a dollar. Their way of not having to pack everything up again. Well, I found a brand new Sherpa dog carrier, all paperwork still inside it, tag still on the handle, never used.
There's a pamphlet inside that says it's "Guaranteed On-Board", you fill out a form online at flygob.com; print a certificate that you present to the boarding agent. I guess they have agreements with a lot of airlines and things to make sure that their carriers are made to their standards. If for some reason you get denied because of the carrier, Sherpa Pet Group will reimburse you for the cost of you and your pet's flight. O_O

I know absolutely nothing about it, if it's even still current; I just thought I'd mention it after seeing your post. It's a soft sided carrier except very sturdy; and does have a zipper on the top as well as side. The one I have is small but I'll bet they make different sizes. Just thought it was worth mentioning! I have no idea if I'll ever need to fly with my pet but figured for less than a dollar (I filled IT up with a bunch of stuff too inside of the bag, haha) I wasn't going to pass it up.

ETA: Ok I was curious so I went to flygob.com and they do still exist; so I guess the carrier must not be too old lol but the website looks like it has a lot of info about traveling with your pet! So I hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Kat, I wil defo look that up. Never heard of any of the websites/ brands before, but I'm sure its worth looking into.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same question, but all my flights are from the U.S. to Western Europe, so they end up being a lot longer. I cannot fathom checking Bonni (and my future boy I'll be adopting when I go back to St. Louis) like they do with bigger dogs. She would die of anxiety, and I imagine since I am looking for another chi he'll have a similar temperment.

Person who flies with Lufthansa (as they are my favorite as well and most likely choice), do you know if it would be allowed for me to let my chi(s) out for a cuddle (because Bonni has a tendency to whine if she has to sit in a crate for a long time) midway through the flight?

Also kind of related, but it's usually a 7 or 8-hour flight over the Atlantic. Can anyone recommend some sturdy doggy diapers?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a Petfly carrier and it's amazing. I don't really fly though and my boy hates going in it to be carried around, so if anyone wants to buy it, do feel free to send me a message. It's essentially brand new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts