Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i thought this would be fun. i know myself thought plenty of things of how a dog would be and act before i owned one...etc! what did you think? i actually thought of this question as i was drivin to my bf's place a couple nights ago haha~ it can be anything about them...i'll go first!

1. i thought a dog drooled all the time! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I have always been around dogs and animals, so I actually knew what they were like!
My kids have had dogs cats birds fish etc around since the day they were born also
..... strange question you have asked......!!!!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
When I was very young, I thought there were two types of dogs - Dalmations and Border Collies! Until my grandmother got her mixed breed, and explained to me that he was a lurcher cross collie, Then of course I had to find out what a Lurcher was and discovered all these other breeds of dog!

I didnt meet a Chihuahua until I was about 14 (im now 21) and it was a lovely cream shortcoat - and decided that I wanted a long-haired version of him! I also didnt believe anything smaller than a cocker spaniel except jack russells, could bark for some odd reason!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
We've always had dogs. When I was little, my mom had a solid white, sweet mutt of a dog that followed her every where. I tried to get this dog to like me that much but soon realized that this dog (Wendy) knew who fed her & who her mama was (my mom). I couldn't wait til the day I got my own dog. When I was 16, a neighbor had a dog that they mistreated; kept in a cold dark basement, never made sure he had water or food. The water bowl would be spilled over & don't know how long it took them to refill it. He was a mutt & very skiddish; didn't like you putting your face near him to kiss him. Took it slowly & showed him lots of love & he came around & had a wonderful life. He (Spunky) lived to be around 14-15. My 1st very own dog--loved it. After his passing, I got my 1st Chi (Kasper) & loved this dog so much. Wanted some of her puppies, so I bred her. She died 10 months after giving birth to 5 pups from cancer & I gave all the pups away to good homes. I didn't keep any for myself because I didn't know Kasper was sick & I was pregnant with twins & I thought it would be too much. My mom got pick of the litter & had the pup for almost a year. She let me have the pup back because Kasper died & now I have Midgie. I've always felt guilty about taking pup back because my mom grew very attached to Midgie, but I needed her soo much & she needs me.
Having Midgie is everything I imagined it would be & more since I was a little girl & I couldn't imagine my life without a Chi.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have never in my life NOT had a dog... Except when I was in college, but there was still a dog at home. We had a poodle, then a dachshund, then my parents settled into golden retrievers. My first dog of my own as an adult was a golden, and she was a love. I still miss her. I fell in love with pugs, and currently have 3 of them in addition to my chi Chipotle, who is my heart and my love. Anyway, the answer to the question, as a child I always thought of my dogs as my best friends. I literally remember spending hours laying on the floor with them, or teaching them tricks, brushing their hair or their teeth. They really were and are still my best friends, and each were (are) special.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I've always had dogs as my dad is a Veterinarian. My best friend growing up was our Miniature Schnauzer Puppins, she used to sleep on my bed, and would grump at my mom when my mom would try to wake me up in the mornings. Puppins used to get so onery with her. I was about 4 or 5 when Puppins was born (we had her mom Bunny).

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I grew up around animals all my life too so never had a chance to think about it really. :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
We had this little mutt that I think was part Pekingese and part terrier maybe? Anyway it seemed like he just lived forever because I can't remember my childhood with him not being in it. He was just always there from my earliest recollections. Because of him:

1. I thought ALL dogs jumped the fence and ran to greet them when they heard their kid(s) on down the street.

2. I thought all dogs slept with their kids, usually under the covers.

3. I thought all kids HAD a dog.

4. I thought all dogs were able to sit upright, perfectly poised with their front legs in the air, (begging position) for 10 minutes at a time.

I still miss that little rascal.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I've always had a dog in my life as my mom got a Poodle Maltese a couple years before having me and it lived to the ripe old age or 17 so I was 15 before it passed.

We had gotten few dogs in between just as fosters till they went to their rightful home. The most memorable Jericho the Great Dane/Black Lab mix who ate literally every toy given. Also Chico the Boston Terrier who humped EVERYTHING.

On my 13th birthday my uncle showed up on my doorstep with a cross breed of sorts, a beautiful dog to be my own, Beauregard. Who I later found out was a "rescue" of sorts. I feel bad admitting this, but my uncles neighbor took pitiful care of his animals, he had more than he could handle and he was violent toward them. They also escaped frequently, after one particularly rascally pup got out he somehow managed to find his way to my doorstep, where he is still living with my mum, sleeping in her bed, and living the good life.
I feel better now, about 8 months after my birthday surprise the neighbor had all of his dogs taken by animal control after he failed to provide for them and they kept getting out and hit by traffic :(

We later acquired Zoey the Chocolate Lab, someone dumped her at out house when I was in high school and never came back, but she has turned into quite the mama's girl. My mom actually calls her mother hen because as my mom still fosters kitten litters from time to time Zoey actually cares for them like a cat would. They're my moms kids now that i'm on my own with my 2 :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts