Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it might be helpful for new raw feeders, or those considering raw, to see what everyone actually feeds day to day.
Today mine had ox heart and chicken liver for breakfast (they had lamb necks last night, so the liver is to balance the bone.)
For dinner they are having pork.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Bugs! As raw as they get :lol:
Yup....yesterday Buttons was sitting with something black in his mouth. On closer inspection I realised he had the worlds biggest great spider ever which he then put between his paws and proceeded to pull its legs off with his teeth while it was still alive and wriggling. He's also brought in dead mummified baby bird number 2, again he buried it in my rug. Apart from that he's had Canagan and a little bit of Butchers Tripe mix. Lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I thought it might be helpful for new raw feeders, or those considering raw, to see what everyone actually feeds day to day.
Today mine had ox heart and chicken liver for breakfast (they had lamb necks last night, so the liver is to balance the bone.)
For dinner they are having pork.
Isn't this expensive? Where do you get it all?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not at all, I find it really economical to feed this way. I get heart from the butchers, it's a really cheap meat. I bought a whole one (it was huge!) and portioned it up for the freezer it was less than £2. Ox heart is slightly more expensive than lambs hearts, and pigs hearts are super cheap., you can get 2 for about a pound. Heart is a big favourite with my lot and really nutrient dense too.
Chicken livers are only 50p per tub if frozen, and the pork was from Sainsburys in the reduced section. There were 4 steaks for £1.34, each steak was enough to cut into three with a bit left over, so I made 14 chi sized meals from it, so that is less than 10p per meal.

I am lucky that I can get bones from my butcher too. I bought a bag with 4 lambs necks and a load of ribs yesterday, for the princely sum of 73p!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Stella, I love this thread and have wrestled with the homemade raw diet since joining the forum. Today Lulu had Ziwi Peak for breakfast--between 1/8 to 1/4 cup (one is not enough, one is too much) for supper she will have 1/4 cup Sojos, which is dehydrated raw. I explained this for those not familiar. Now back to my original thread of thought. The reason I love is I guess I am so dense that when you post ox heart and chicken livers I am lost from there. I tried raw chicken a couple of times and Lulu didn't take to it, but I know that can be worked with. My question is amounts. When everyone describes what they feed it seems like their dogs are eating tons of food. When I have had Lulu on homemade food, every time she can eat what I consider a proper portion in seconds and always gains weight. I just give up and go back to commercial raw. I get frustrated. Sorry for hijacking your thread with my frustration.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's definitely not tons of food Tina! My lot don't gain weight as they are all young and active, so they get more than the recommended amounts. They get about 2oz twice a day.It still isn't a lot though and disappears very quickly!

·
Registered
209 Posts
George had a very simple meal of chicken thigh. I guess about two oz.

He's supposed to be getting around 4 oz/day and does well with that amount. He had a very active week, and I'm happy to skip the bone for the extra meat right now.

Up tomorrow: gizzards and liver, maybe a chicken wing tip to balance the liver, and more thigh meat.

We're still going slow with introducing new (red and richer) meats.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Stella, I love this thread and have wrestled with the homemade raw diet since joining the forum. Today Lulu had Ziwi Peak for breakfast--between 1/8 to 1/4 cup (one is not enough, one is too much) for supper she will have 1/4 cup Sojos, which is dehydrated raw. I explained this for those not familiar. Now back to my original thread of thought. The reason I love is I guess I am so dense that when you post ox heart and chicken livers I am lost from there. I tried raw chicken a couple of times and Lulu didn't take to it, but I know that can be worked with. My question is amounts. When everyone describes what they feed it seems like their dogs are eating tons of food. When I have had Lulu on homemade food, every time she can eat what I consider a proper portion in seconds and always gains weight. I just give up and go back to commercial raw. I get frustrated. Sorry for hijacking your thread with my frustration.
I'm pretty new to this too. I get out my kitchen shears and kitchen scale and portion it all out. I wrap the organs (after cutting with shears) in wax paper in the portion size I want. After a few weighs, I just eyeball it.

I've been reassured that this isn't and exact science. And, the thing about watching the poop, is golden. That will tell you if you're doing it right, or what you need to adjust and when.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
This is a great idea for a thread. :) I'm still relatively new to raw feeding so it should be interesting to see what others feed to get ideas!

I realised he had the worlds biggest great spider ever which he then put between his paws and proceeded to pull its legs off with his teeth while it was still alive and wriggling.
Oh my god!! One of those huge house spiders? I hate those! Well I HATE all spiders. That would have freaked me out. In a way it's good though, he's keeping your house spider free. :lol:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody had a chunk of quail with bone for breakfast. For dinner he had 2 ounces of raw veal with a dab of coconut oil.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
YOU FED THAT TO A DOG!!!?? I want to come eat at your house! Lol Just kidding Tracy!! That sounds great! Bet Brody loves it!
Oh I know right?! LOL. We joke that he eats better than we do. However... we shop at an asian grocery when we can and they have great whole quail, dressed, for cheap! They are quite small and bony. I'm not too jealous that he gets them... ;)

And the veal was in the clearance bin at the grocery! Cheap! Feeding raw costs pennies a day. I love it.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine had green tripe for breakfast today, with a whole raw egg mixed in, shell included. This is their favourite meal, so very happy pups. They are having some beef for dinner, it is defrosting in the fridge right now, I'm fairly certain it is tongue.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts