Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that still feed your dogs 3 times a day, wondering what do u feed for lunch? and do u give them a change every couple of days?Charchi is going on 8 months and i think i still have to give 3 meals a day, up till 12 mths of age, is this right?- janet.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Jaxx is nine months but he only gets 2 meals a day. I switched Jaxx to two meals a day around six months and he has done okay with just two meals. He sometimes gets a treat in the middle of the afternoon (usually green beans, a carrot, or some other raw veggie that he can have.)

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
At 8 months you can feed twice per day Janet, it's fine. :)
Are you feeding kibble? What kind?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Ote's daily diet is raw chicken in the morning, a tablespoon of cottage cheese in the afternoon (to get her to eat her joint supplement daily, and fish oil is mixed in every other day), and a piece of raw chicken with a tad of bone in the evening. I am beginning to mix in other raw meats as well in order to get Ote up to par on the three proteins. She usually has chews through out the day (duck feet, bully sticks, etc.) but not sure if you would count those as "treats" or not.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I,ve been feeding him kibble,i can tell u the name,but u being in the USA proberly wont recognize the brand. It,s Purina lucky dog- minced beef,vegetable, and Pasta flavour, also a couple of Goodo rings semi moist , he has a couple of each in the morning, and sometimes about 1/4 slice of toast, he dosen,t always eat the toast, only because i make it for myself, then at lunchtime he has a little chicken or cold meat,but lately he dosen,t seem to want lunch anyway,may be he,ll eat more at teatime, if i miss lunch.I also ive him peices of carrott, trying him with different fruit ext.He does not like dog food or anything in gravy. It has to be solid peices of meat or the dog meat rolls.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh i forgot to add, that he steals,1 teething rusk a day off my 10 mth old grandson,lol.What sort of joint supplement do u buy? also what type of fish oil do u give. I will start Charchi on this, when i give him only, uncooked meat bones, he alway,s throws up afterwards.So i dont give him bones anymore only uncooked chicken wings now, i just dont want to overfeed him.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
He has you quite properly trained! haha!

I also fed just 2x a day after 6 months. They get a complete food and that is what they get every day.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Oh i forgot to add, that he steals,1 teething rusk a day off my 10 mth old grandson,lol.What sort of joint supplement do u buy? also what type of fish oil do u give. I will start Charchi on this, when i give him only, uncooked meat bones, he alway,s throws up afterwards.So i dont give him bones anymore only uncooked chicken wings now, i just dont want to overfeed him.
Here is a thread with more information on Fish Oil - http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chihuahua-diet-nutrition/68745-fish-oil-tips-suggestions.html

I actually just started Ote on fish oil about two days ago. I'm using Sundown Naturals Fish Oil - 1000 mg and I poke a hole and give half a capsule every other day. So 500 mg every other day.

As for the joint supplement, I give Nupro Joint Support Original Formula + Glucosamine Complex. It's a powder, so I mix it with a tablespoon of cottage cheese in order to get her to eat it. She's been on the joint supplement for about a month and she gets that daily.

Oh no, your poor boy! I guess the bones just don't agree with his stomach. Bet he loves the boneless meat though!! :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, he loves cooked chops, no bone of course, oh and steak or hunks of chicken, likes string beans and brocoli ,I will only feed him 2 day from now on, i find he,s seems to get really hungry for 1 day ,he,ll really eat, but then the next day he hardly eats much at all.I,m going to get him the supplements and fish oil and mix it in with the cottage cheese as you do. Sounds good for them.Thankyou Aly, for the thread on fish oil and tips.-janet.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
We fed Odie three meals a day until she stopped eating her lunch (pretty recently). She's a puke-when-I-don't-eat kind of gal, so she gets snacks before bed too.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I,ve been feeding him kibble,i can tell u the name,but u being in the USA proberly wont recognize the brand. It,s Purina lucky dog- minced beef,vegetable, and Pasta flavour, also a couple of Goodo rings semi moist , he has a couple of each in the morning, and sometimes about 1/4 slice of toast, he dosen,t always eat the toast, only because i make it for myself, then at lunchtime he has a little chicken or cold meat,but lately he dosen,t seem to want lunch anyway,may be he,ll eat more at teatime, if i miss lunch.I also ive him peices of carrott, trying him with different fruit ext.He does not like dog food or anything in gravy. It has to be solid peices of meat or the dog meat rolls.
I feed raw meats of all kinds, ZiwiPeak & K9 Natural, as well as a few additives such as Omega 3/6/9, Garlic Powder, Kelp Juice, Spirulina, Vit & Min, egg yolk, sardines, blended raw veg ice-cubes, raw chicken bones.

Sorry, but I wouldn't feed a single thing that you are, not even if I was paid to:

Purina = Nestle (very bad) Lucky Dog - it's available in supermarkets for a start!! Ingredients are cheap, nasty, full of fillers and heaven only knows what else (damn company doesn't list ingredients on their website which doesn't surprise me in the very least). Very bad for teeth/gum health.

Good-o's = Full of sugar, PSCYHO RED COLOURING, salt/artificial flavoring, full of evils prone to causing the zoomies & allergies. Very bad for teeth/gum health

Meat Rolls - Full of non-human grade scrap meat that isn't inspected for parasites as human meat is, loads of fat and loaded with sodium/PRESERVATIVES and anything else they choose to throw in the way of artificial flavouring, colouring etc. to make the muck semi-palatable - from memory doesn't have to be declared because it's not for human consumption - might as well feed a dog cardboard - it's about the same colour & texture. Very bad for teeth/gum health

Cold Meat? I presume you don't mean processed meats you buy at supermarket delis like ham, corned beef, fritz/devon etc? They're chockers full of evils. Can't stress strongly enough how bad cold meats are for ALL animals!!!

Cooked Human Food Vitamins, minerals & enzymes are killed by cooking meat/veg etc. therefore not the least bit beneficial. To my mind, giving dogs human food daily, especially small, picky ones is creating a major potential problem i.e. super fussy eater. Do you add salt to your food???

We are able to purchase quite a few top quality American foods over here, 4 and 5 stars and, so long as they've NOT BEEN IRRADIATED upon entry to Australia, I'd go without food myself to ensure funds so my dog could eat them if ZiwiPeak ever becomes defunct. You need to make every mouthful count when feeding a dog, especially a Chi :)

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Dee is right Ozziegirl. There are better foods out there, and the higher quality the food
is the less you need to feed, therefore cost wise it is efficient. If you ever need any
help picking out a balanced diet for your pup, I'd be happy to help. You can get
quite a bit of info on raw feeding on this forum. If raw is not for you, there are
other great options as well, there are dehydrated foods such as Ziwipeak, or
premium grain-free kibble such as Acana. A healthy diet now, will help avoid a
lot of health problems in the future, so think of it as investing in your pup's life.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OMG i diden,t know about all of this,i feel terrible i thought i was feeding ok, It is so confusing because i read,about kibble that vet,s try to push, and it stated that the vets are brainwashed when they r learning ,and that they push this type of food because they get kick backs out of pushing this stuff, this imformation came from a vet ,i 2was only reading about 2 day,s ago, i love my dog,so please help me ladie,s to fix this,as I,m reading a lot about raw he, dont mind eating raw But do i need to be worried about parrasites.He does like raw, please help me with diet,? I,m changing him tommorrow thanks -janet.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Well don't feel guilty, at least you know now! Remember not to switch foods too quickly, do it gradually over a week or so, unless you are going to do raw.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dee, i looked up Royal Canin Chihuaua 28,do u know if i can buy this here in Australia, also what kibble do u feed your chi? thanks.-janet

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Hell no, don't feel guilty at all - be thrilled that this forum exists and that your wee baby is soon to be one of the "lucky ones" whose owner is going to make its life as happy & healthy as it can be.

First up NEVER, but NEVER feed store bought treats with "Made in China" in teeny weeny print on packaging, especially the brand Waggin' Train which they shipped over here once the Americans found out how deadly it is - it's alleged to have killed 100's of dogs over there = Chinese Chicken, very baaaaaad!

Find BrodysMom's articles on raw feeding and you can't go wrong, just follow her intructions to the letter. The only raw meat you'll need to start out with is chicken for a couple of weeks and he'll have to learn to tolerate raw bone so start with the very tip of chicken wings until he stops throwing up - he won't hurt himself and will eventually get the hang of them. After chicken you'll start feeding lamb, beef, rabbit, venison, goat, pork, kangaroo, duck, quail, anything and everything you feel like, it's such fun for us & them :)

DO NOT worry about killer bacterias, the dog's saliva & intestinal tract is designed to kill those nasties on contact, and, as for parasites, you don't have to worry about those because you worm your dog monthly, presumably with the all-in-one heartworm, flea, normal worm chewies? When eating raw offal, it's important to mix & match wormers so that you use a tapeworm killer each alternate time is all.

I go to an el cheapo butcher & buy stuff like chuck steak, 2 kilo for $16, 2 kilo chicken fillets $12 etc. A massive tray of fresh (no frozen) liver for about $6 & about 10 lamb kidneys for around $6 - this is going to last 1 Chi a very, very long time. I've bought about 15 goat loin chops for $8 & just throw them one each for brekky.

Then I bought a Dehydrator from ebay for about $80 (I do my own chicken & beef jerky as well as dehydrate the liver & kidneys). Then I bought an el cheapo but decent Chinese electric Mincer off ebay for around $60 and I mince their meats & freeze them in portion sizes. If your pup doesn't like raw kidney or liver, it's ok to fry it, doesn't effect the nutritional value (except enzymes die when heated).

I'm embarrassed to admit that the ONLY thing in my massive Armana double door Fridge/Freezer/Icemaker is Milk for me .... every other square inch is taken up with either dog food or fish food/meds lmao. Without a word of a lie - evidencary photos can be supplied if anyone doubts me!!!

Then I also feed ZiwiPeak (dehydrated meat from NewZealand) i.e. 1kg bag costs around $40 but it will last you forever and a day - based on my experience with dehydrating quantities, that would've equated to a massive amount of meat before being dehydrated & it's worth every penny imo. I just picked up a 5kg bag today for $154 that'll last until doomsday!

Before I started feeding the above, my blonde pup had very little coat and what he did have was quite dry, dull and very coarse. I was feeding a blend of the super expensive kibbles but even then they're very bloody average.

NOW, since raw & Ziwi, omg, his coat is silkier than silk and he has a full, lush and beautiful coat that friends don't stop commenting on the difference in him. My little black bitch, same remarkable silkiness to her coat & she literally gleams in the light, blooms with health.

Always remember how tiny Chi's internal organs are, therefore even the smallest amounts can effect them and make them ill, especially salt, sugar etc. Therefore ALL artificial colouring, flavouring, food additives, sauces, gravies bla bla bla should not be put anywhere near their little mouths.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I'm a Ziwipeak and raw feeder too. I get my ZP online. For you in NSW your closest supplier would portably be BowHouse. K9 Naturals is also a really good dehydrated raw food and it seems to be more readily available than ZP, I'm going to try it when my 5kg bag of ZP runs out (I've got about half left after 2 months feeding 2 dogs). Having the dehydrated raw makes life easy, it's a complete food. When feeding raw it's important to feed organs but I just could not get Chloe to eat them so ZP is my saviour. I also feed raw chicken, kangaroo, pork and fish and they get a scrambled egg once a week, it's their favorite food. I don't feed beef because Chloe is allergic but you could feed Charchi beef. I only feed human grade meat, I get it cheap from a market but you can also pick up stuff on sale at the supermarket. I give a chicken wing once or twice a week for their teeth and it also entertains them, they get a piece of 100% meat duck jerkey most days too. It's Black Dog brand that I get from my local pet supply, it is made in Australia from Australian ingredients and I haven't seen anything else that is. I should try and make my own but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Just do a bit of trial and error to see what suits both you and Charchi, I'm sure you will find something that is really good for him and that is easy for you to prepare.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
awww! dont feel guilty! we fed pippi (My mums collie) bakers for 5 years! i then went on to acana which they love but recently decided to try raw! this forum will help you ALOT! ive learned so many things in my short time! :) x

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Ziwipeak all the way! It is air dried raw and very good for them. I am sure yours will love it. Twice a day is fine. Nice small poops too ;)......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts