Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working with Cali for a few weeks and hope she matures nicely to show one day. She has a showy personality and a natural at it, I haven't needed to use treats to stack her or have a problem with ears and tail being up which is GREAT!!!:hello1:
She has a good pedigree with a few champions in there and more if you really dig into it. I believe she will have the thicker coat cause it doesn't lay down or flat like how Ricky's was as a pup.

Thank you I would love all opinions!!!

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Cali is a little doll.. love the black stripe down her back...Do you think it will stay or fade away? Also like those little "spotted" feet..lol

I don't have any expertise about "show pups," so can't offer any opinion on that, just know what I like...lol

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cali is a little doll.. love the black stripe down her back...Do you think it will stay or fade away? Also like those little "spotted" feet..lol

I don't have any expertise about "show pups," so can't offer any opinion on that, just know what I like...lol
Thank you so much chideb, she is a doll for sure..

I don't think hardly any of the black will stay it is kind of neat with the sables because they change so much over time it is possible she will keep some black but not much. she has changed so much ever since she was born, when I got a few weeks ago to now amazing to me.. oh and I love her freckles on her feet too, think it is unique markings to have too :p

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Lisa!! I am very happy with her and in a couple of weeks we will be doing handlers class to see if it is something she likes and me since I am new to it all.
studying for a couple of years but didn't have much to work with I did try stacking by boy which went fine but he isn't fixed so when he see's another dog goes crazy LOL.
Do you have any hints or tricks to getthem to do what you want? she stacks fine but is still a pup and once down loves to run all over the place.

·
Registered
881 Posts
What do you use as bait? Try chicken liver or something strong smelling in a noisy little bag, russle the bag and give her a little bit when she looks at you. Helps if the dog loves food.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't think hardly any of the black will stay it is kind of neat with the sables because they change so much over time it is possible she will keep some black but not much. she has changed so much ever since she was born, when I got a few weeks ago to now amazing to me.. oh and I love her freckles on her feet too, think it is unique markings to have too :p
She's gorgeous. i know nothing about showing but she sure it a cutie. lexie had the exact same stripe down her back as a pup and hers disappeared. she also has freckles on her feet!

xx

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
She has lovely rear angulation, lovely reach of neck and a pretty good top line also. For me however she is a bit on the nose but normally they have fab bites - her head also going improve as she gets older. As a starter dog she is nice enough and at a later date should be able to breed from her.

I normally tell people to always be in show mode when the dogs are around your feet, tell them to stand and give them a titbit to eat when they do. It will eventually come together. As for her running around - just let her get on with it after all she is a puppy - I like nothing more when I am judging than having a naughty puppy. Just as long as she isn't doing back flips and not being able to assess the movements. LOL

I hope I haven't been too critical with you and not upset you in any way.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She has lovely rear angulation, lovely reach of neck and a pretty good top line also. For me however she is a bit on the nose but normally they have fab bites - her head also going improve as she gets older. As a starter dog she is nice enough and at a later date should be able to breed from her.

I normally tell people to always be in show mode when the dogs are around your feet, tell them to stand and give them a titbit to eat when they do. It will eventually come together. As for her running around - just let her get on with it after all she is a puppy - I like nothing more when I am judging than having a naughty puppy. Just as long as she isn't doing back flips and not being able to assess the movements. LOL

I hope I haven't been too critical with you and not upset you in any way.
Thank you so much! No I love advice if it's good or bad I am new and want to learn I don't say I know it all because then how am I learning? This was a month back so she is naked now as we say for the long coats, I really hope it starts coming in soon. yes her muzzle is a little longer than what I was going for but after seeing her generations of family I know she can mature into it and actually I think it fits the standard it is pointed and portion to her head well at least now it looks that way it looked longer for a bit maybe I am use to to it now:confused: But either way she still draws attention and have had the instructor of the handlers class want me to show her already I would rather wait for her coat to come in a bit or to be more ready.
She does everything wonderfully BUT the lead training so I went back to the basics, start with a regular harness leash and am walking her then when she understands I am in control switch to the lead, what do you think?
I think lead training has been the hardest so far I hate for her not to be able to walk on the lead and ruin her chances to shine because she really is a natural to everything else.
ANY help or hints on lead/Gait training would be so helpful

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you use as bait? Try chicken liver or something strong smelling in a noisy little bag, russle the bag and give her a little bit when she looks at you. Helps if the dog loves food.
I use chicken in a zip lock baggy but she gets bored so I have to switch so often string cheese, chicken, turkey and whatever else I hate liver but if it works I might try it.
I have also trained to stack on command I use the work "wait" and she is doing great with that. But the gaiting/lead training is not so wonderful she walks so far and stops also tries to pull away to the side so I am trying the harness walking and go from there so far good but we will see

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have found that if you can walk Cali with another chi who walks well, they tend to follow their lead, keep praising her when she walks properly with the other one, gradually she will learn to walk on her own but still praise her and give her treats as you go. If you haven't got another one to walk with her it may take longer. I normally put either a cat collar on them or a lightweight show lead and let them run around with it around their neck so they get used to having something there.

Hope this is of some use. ;)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all your help she was wonderful today. I took her and Ricky (my studly boy) out for a fun walk the other day since I thought that it would help to be just walked around and tonight we did some gaiting and she has improved alot so I am hopeful again =)
I got a couple of pictures to show you all how naked she is LOL but she still looks great in my eyes but needs to grow that coat in badly LOL..
here is a recent shot stacking 6-11-10

Thank you again

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Showing a LC in Puppy Classes?

I was just wondering -- what is the expected norm for showing a LC chi when still in the "puppy" classes. I know that bare/sparse coat is a disqualification, but LC's have their "naked" phase right around when you can start to show them. Is it a DQ in puppy classes too?

I kind of want to get in the ring sooner than later w/ Bryco but the coat thing has been a question I've had for awhile. :rolleyes:

Bryco still has a bit more puppy fluff than Cami, but I can see it going that route in the next 2 months hahaha. Cami has been fun to watch grow up, for sure! You are doing a great job with her, Bryco still won't stand without a LOT of help from me.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You're definitely doing a great job with her! It definitely looks like her head is catching up to her muzzle - it doesn't look as long as the first pic. :) She'll begin to grow in her adult coat before long...she'll be nice & fluffy before you know it!

·
Registered
881 Posts
I was just wondering -- what is the expected norm for showing a LC chi when still in the "puppy" classes. I know that bare/sparse coat is a disqualification, but LC's have their "naked" phase right around when you can start to show them. Is it a DQ in puppy classes too?

I kind of want to get in the ring sooner than later w/ Bryco but the coat thing has been a question I've had for awhile. :rolleyes:

Bryco still has a bit more puppy fluff than Cami, but I can see it going that route in the next 2 months hahaha. Cami has been fun to watch grow up, for sure! You are doing a great job with her, Bryco still won't stand without a LOT of help from me.
I wouldn't worry about coat in puppy classes. If you take a look at my post (with pics) of LKA champ show last november, that was perrys and Denise's theo's first show and they were both 6months they don't have hardly any coat and perry got the VHC. A lot of the pups going up to juinor don't have full coats yet. I think the sooner u can get him in the ring the better.
xxx

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I wouldn't worry about coat in puppy classes. If you take a look at my post (with pics) of LKA champ show last november, that was perrys and Denise's theo's first show and they were both 6months they don't have hardly any coat and perry got the VHC. A lot of the pups going up to juinor don't have full coats yet. I think the sooner u can get him in the ring the better.
xxx
That's what I think, too. I mean, I am sure we're gonna both be fumbling about the first few shows. I'm doing my best to learn everything but there are no ringcraft classes in a 3.5 hr radius :foxes15: haha, that way, we both get some experience, whether he's winning anything or not.

There used to be, but they decided to discontinue the classes :(

·
Registered
677 Posts
She looks great!!
Prada and I start conformation classes in Sept when the professional handlers we are going to finish their summer of heavy showing!

Maybe you can look for private classes run by professional handlers as well??

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

the rules just mean no bald spots, puppy classes are easier because they expect they are going through changes and be a pup at times. I hate they loose their coats but thank heavens the judges know that is what is going on and don't use it against them LOL. She is really "naked" right now I am praying she gets something growing soon I hate this stage really and Ricky didn't get this bad LOL.. yes I agree the sooner the better, also if no classes just keep doing what you are and if you have a friend or someone near practrice with them need to be exposed to strangers and strange dogs noises too. Cali wasn't so this is becoming a problem but I will fix it and get her be confident. so good luck!!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She looks great!!
Prada and I start conformation classes in Sept when the professional handlers we are going to finish their summer of heavy showing!

Maybe you can look for private classes run by professional handlers as well??
Thank you so much! we go to a local handlers class but not too many go or they are big dogs :foxes15:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts