Chihuahua People Forum banner

where is your chi when you are on vacation?

• With You?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • At Home?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've never posted to this board yet, but I have been a long time reader. I'm still looking for a Chi and working on all the stuff that comes with getting a dog. Like what to do with it when my boyfriend and I go on vacation. I must also add that I live in Holland (The Netherlands) and we usually take vacations in the U.S. (I'm from the US and he's from Holland, so our vacations are usually long typically from 2 to 4 weeks pretty much. Also, I must add that we usually do lots of traveling when in the US.)

So what would you suggest to do with a Chi or what would you do?
We also have a cat but she stays home and we have someone come over every couple of days to feed and etc.

All comments and help welcomed ! :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Of all the dog breeds Chihuahuas travel well. They are small and love to be with their owners. We usally take our chis with us wherever we go, short trips & even long trips out of state. Just make sure where you stay allows dogs. I did have to leave one of my chis(when I only owned one) in a boarding kennel for a week when we went to the beach with some friends. Our friends made the plans where to stay and they didn't allow dogs, I was very sad to leave her but had no choice. It was a veterinarian kennel so I felt that if something did go wrong at least there was a vet close by. I called to check on her every day. Buffy did fine, she ate well and became close with one of the kennel workers. But I prefer to take them along. Get you a small air line approved carrier & take your chi along, they will love you for it.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
We only travel within UK, Eire etc, but take the girls with us or else we dont go.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I actually haven't been on vacation since I've had my boys but am planning on going to a beautiful lake up north in the summertime. I plan on taking my boys with me, since we will be gone for about a week. The only requirements at that lake is that they have their rabies vacc. and are licensed. If I go on a short vacation (I would never fly, I've had terrible nightmares since I can remember dreaming, about crashing and airplanes crashing around me) I'll have my sister come by to visit with them and feed them. I do that for her when she goes away.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I always leave mine with my Mom as they both love her so much so it is a treat for them to stay with her - they get spoilt rotten :wave:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
If it's a trip Zeus can't go on, he'll stay with my inlaws. If you're from Holland (or any other place overseas), you may want to check the laws. Awhile back I recall there being a "quarantine" period for pets coming from overseas. This was 10-15 years ago. I'm not sure if it's changed or not.

Imkari: I know what you mean about flying. I use to fly a lot with my prior job (pre 9-11). I haven't been on a plane since 9-11. I'm so scared. I know it's irrational fears. My husband tells me it's safer to fly now then ever, but my feet shall remain on the ground for awhile. I really want to go on vacation to England then Germany, but with my fears, I'm sure it will be awhile.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
NoahFL said:
Imkari: I know what you mean about flying. I use to fly a lot with my prior job (pre 9-11). I haven't been on a plane since 9-11. I'm so scared. I know it's irrational fears. My husband tells me it's safer to fly now then ever, but my feet shall remain on the ground for awhile. I really want to go on vacation to England then Germany, but with my fears, I'm sure it will be awhile.
When I tell people that I am TERRIFIED of flying, they immediately think it's from what happened on 9/11. But my fears have dated back to when I was 4 years old, those are the earliest dreams I remember anyway. I used to wake up crying in the middle of the night, all sweaty and scared. I don't know if we live previous lives or not but if I did, I most certainly died in a place crash. That sounds better than the alternative, maybe I'll die from a plane in this life? I have LOTS of dejavue (sp?) but the bad part of it never happens and the bad part always has to do with airplanes.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
The last week long vacation we took Auggie with us. But like someone else said I don;t know what the restrictions would be since you are in Holland. Auggie did great on the plane and lots of hotels now accept pets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like to thank all of you for your comments! It seems that many of you do take them with you when on vacation.

NoahFL: I think that is only for people from the UK because of the the mad cow disease.. I'm not sure though.. anyone from the UK know?

I do know that she would have to have a rabbies shot if traveling to the US, they don't have rabbies here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To imkari and NoahFL: I can understand your fears of flying. I've had dreams of crashing in a plane too and not to mention my bday is 9/11/79. I was very terrified of flying but just a couple of months ago I just had to if I want to go on vacation and visit my family in the US. And it wasnt nearly as bad as I had thought it was going to be. The worst part was all of the security at the airports that we had to go through! And I think by seeing all of the security that was there made me feel safer about flying. When we left here from Amsterdam there were armed guards there with their big automatic weapons right when you walked in you saw them. And they were taking people outta the line and going through their suitcase and doing a security check. I do definatly think it is now safer to fly than ever before.

·
Registered
238 Posts
In the past, we've had big dogs who lived outside and a friend came over every day to take care of them. He also lives nearby so he checked on them frequently during the day.

Now that we have Chico, it depends on where we're going. If it's just a road trip or somewere that accepts dogs, he'll go with us. For our 2 week dive trip to Honduras, he'll stay at the boarding kennel. I've already checked it out and it's more like a resort for dogs than a regular borading kennel.

·
Registered
810 Posts
We just turn on the tv and leave the door cracked so they can go in and out. As far as the food, we just leave the whole bag opened and they have been trained to scoop up more. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
jroberts I had to get Auggie a rabies shot to go on vacation also as they don't have rabies where I live . I hated it he had to have a shot just for one week :(

·
Registered
119 Posts
We have to take the boys with us. We know that, if we left Poncho and Wally behind, we'd miss them, and it would break their hearts. :cry: So we take them with us (even though poor little Wally gets carsick). And, if we go to a hotel that doesn't allow pets, we won't stay there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts