Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Just wanted to see what people feed there little one's on.
I have only had my little boy less than a week and he was extremely quite when i first got him, shaking and everything.
I took him to the out of hour vets later to discover he has an extremely bad ear infection. He is now being medicated for this and his ears are now sitting more on top of his head and he is also walking around alot more.

The women i got him off used to feed him on Royal canin and some "dry meat" in a white plastic tub with a clear film lid?
When i feed him, he sniffs it and doesnt really seem to be that into it..
I have spoken to a few people and they have said chihuahus's are very fussy with what they eat
I do not want to change his food and then have him not eat it but i dont want to buy him food he doesn't like.
Last night i went to the fish and chip shop and brought him a small sausage and he loved it!!
Any ideas??
Jazmin x

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much do they need per week?
I brought mine one of those double bowl's and i think they are too deep for him, going to buy him some of those bowls you normally give to cats...
Just not too sure what to feed him on.... xx

·
Registered
111 Posts
I feed Dixie a 1/2 pouch Pedigree every morning and I keep her Puppy Chow healthy morsels out to self feed. She'll be a year old in March. Guess I'll stick to the Dog Chow dry or Pedigree.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
It depends on what you're feeding them. When I feed THK, I feed about 1/4 twice a day. Not sure what you mean by what to feed him on.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Food wise? :S
He has royal canin dry food and some other dry meat... but he doesnt seem to like it...
Im thinking of trying pedigree or taking him to the local pet shop and asking them what there suggestions are...
Thanks Jazmin

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I feed mine on wainwright meat and royal canine dry, they love it. Tulula was really fussy we have tried the raw diet and they were fine at first then went off that, I still give them raw chicken wings. It's difficult to say how much, but it's not bowls full, when I first got tulula my vet said to feed her about a teaspoon of meat 5 times a day.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I agree with Jan. Choose some foods you'd like to try and check them on the sites she offered. I'd strive for a 5-6 star (each site has a different scale) food.

None of my chis have been fussy eaters. I'd not feed human food or you will create a fussy eater. Nor would I give sausage. Too high in nitrates, sodium and other things not good for our babies.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well my chi is 18 months old and i just wanted to treat him because he hasnt been eating properly..
He has also been poorly.. and hes got ear drops etc..
Im not planning on feeding him sausage everyday and he is already a fussy eater.. he will not touch human food apart from yesterdays sausage.. when i first got him someone adivised to give him some chicken.. and he wouldnt eat it.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
and he wouldnt eat it.
he WILL eat...... eventually...... he is just 'training' YOU.........:coolwink:
he is waiting for you to give in and provide yummy, but not necessarily good for him foods .... they can be 'cheeky' like that.....

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I feed mine ziwi P and Accana and Arden grange is another good one,you could always soak it a bit to make a gravy

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have noticed that he will eat it if i leave him all throughout the day but if he doesn't like it.. i would sooner give him something else...

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Seriously...pick a food your comfy with (the dog food advisor & dog food analysis website is a TERRIFIC place to find one!!) & offer him food twice a day for 10-15 minutes. If he doesn't eat pick it up & go about your day giving absolutely NO treats (people food or otherwise) & offer it again later on. A healthy dog will not starve itself & you will be please at how well he'll begin to eat after a day or so.

We're watching my grandfathers Pom while my grandfather has a major surgery & she is incredibly picky. Only eats her kibble for him by taking one & eating it...taking one & eating it...through out the day. I don't work that way & I can't leave food out otherwise my dogs would have it gone in a matter of seconds. LOL I feed my crew a mix of premade raws (Stella & Chewy's, ZiwiPeak & Honest Kitchen) and prey model raw & the only food she didn't like was the Honest Kitchen (don't blame her as it's mostly fruits & veggies & she doesn't really need that). She has been here for a few days & she is eating her ZP right down when I offer it. I am not feeding her her kibble because quite honestly I don't want to deal with the gross kibble poo AND I don't have to time to bath her every time she poops as it sticks where as it doesn't with the raws.

Anyway...if I can get this picky little Pom to eat food w/o being picky ANYONE can. You just have to have the right mind set & not feel sorry for them because they're not eating properly. Don't treat them no matter how much they aren't eating because doing that would only make their problem last longer. The quicker you get your mind set straight...the quicker he'll respond & start eating regularly. :) Good luck!!

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I feed mine prey model raw and ZiwiPeak, with the occasional Stella & Chewy's. You really just have to stick with one type of food until they are eating regularly. No treats. I switch up the flavor of my dogs' food every meal or so now that they will eat whatever I give them, but I wouldn't recommend doing that at first.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Today i have been to the pet store and brought royal canin complete adult mix. The women told me he shouldnt be eating both of them as the meat will give him the "poos" she suggested i stick to the complete biscuits because also it is good for his teeth...

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
"Biscuits"/Kibble WILL NOT HELP HIS TEETH!! ARGH I hate when people tell others this!! LOL It's quite the opposite...it makes it worse!! Meat will not give him the poos...unless you give only chicken w/o bone than YES because there is nothing to firm it up! If you want something better for teeth than go with prey model raw! Or at the very least Stella & Chewy's. ZiwiPeak isn't bad either (not as good as the first two). Kibble creates tartar build up which is why most dog have horrible teeth by 2-3 years old. My oldest dog(s) are almost 4 & have NO!! tartar build up on their teeth...at all!! Whats that tell you....? :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts