Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is thinking of getting a shih tzu, I've been sort of thinking about getting another one myself. SO we called the breeder that I got Kismet from, I had a few problems w/ this woman that some of you may remember but all in all I think she cares greatly for her puppies and Kismet is so smart and friendly, so I figured might as well check her out 1st. My friend was talking to her and was telling her that we both wanted females. The breeder tells my friend Rachel that she should get a male that way we could breed him w/ Kismet. Rachel said "no we can't do that b/c Kismet was fixed". The breeder said basically that I made a big mistake, that you should never get an animal fixed that they will die early and it's just a money making scheme made by vets. She went on and on how good of a mom Kismet would have been and how great her puppies would have been and that before I make any decisions w/ Kismet I should call her and discuss them w/ her 1st :shock: can you believe this!?
All I could do was laugh while on the phone. I told her that I paid my money for Kismet that she is now mine and that whatever I feel is best for Kismet that's what will be done.
SO now we need to keep searching :?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Wow Kelly, I don't think I've ever heard of any breeder have that point of view before. From what I've heard, it is safer for the animal to get fixed so they don't have a chance to get certain cancers. and the more people who don't spay and neuter their animals, the more abused and unwanted animals there will be right? She sounds very arrogant to me. Hopefully you can find another breeder who can get you a sweet little girl just like your Kismet!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I am hoping Meg.
I can't belive she would tell people who have no experience to just go and breed. I said, I wouldn't know how to handle those things b/c I am not experienced and she just blew me off :roll:

·
Registered
150 Posts
That is insane! I cant believe a breeder would say such a thing. You are truly lucky that you got such a wonderful dog like Kismet from her but I would never go back to her. It seems like she might either be all for the money of breeding animals or truly unaware or the facts of fixing a pet. It is a proven fact that neutering and saying an animal will increase their life expectancy if they are healthy and it will also decrease the chances of developing cancers.

For male pets neutering decreases their chances of developing prostatic enlargement and disease and eliminates the risk of testicular cancer. Spaying female pets eliminates the risk of pyometra (infection in the uterus). Also, if the pets is spayed before their first heat cycle, her chances of developing breast cancer drop dramatically as well.

I dont remember where I read this (and I dont know how credible the source was) but I think there is only a slight difference statistically when it comes to developing cancer, but there is still a difference and if the pet isnt going to be used as a mommy or daddy they would benefit from it!

I assume that breeder does know the health, behavioral, and birth control benefits of this surgery, so she is just nuts for trying to tell you what to do about your Kismet, especially since she is incorrect!

Yael

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
That woman is talking crap and she is extremely unintelligent - after every heat the chance of cancer increases dramatically if spayed before the first heat it is 0%, I would definately not buy from her again :wave:

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KB mamma said:
ok Kelly are you done with this woman now? :banghead:
:lol: yes, I will not deal w/ her.
Even if she agreed w/ spaying...which that really ticked me off. How stupid can a person be...but what got me also is..who does s :roll: :twisted: he think she is that I should talk to her before I make any decisions w/ Kismet!?

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I thought she sounded like an idiot before but she just blew her previous stupidity out of the water!!! :roll:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
oh my, can we say "duh"

and she calls herself a breeder? wow. in her logic, you would think the vets would be AGAINST spaying and nuetering so there would be MORE pets for them to treat lol....

:roll: :tard:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Kelly said:
KB mamma said:
ok Kelly are you done with this woman now? :banghead:
:lol: yes, I will not deal w/ her.
Even if she agreed w/ spaying...which that really ticked me off. How stupid can a person be...but what got me also is..who does s :roll: :twisted: he think she is that I should talk to her before I make any decisions w/ Kismet!?
yeah like she has ANY say anymore, she is a bonafide wack job!! :lol:

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I now fully agree w/ that Vic :lol: .
the only reason I even decided to call her was b/c Kismet housebroke so easily. The breeder is wacko but she does do lots w/ the puppies but I can not take all her opinions and thoughts. She's one of those people that no matter what, she is right and that's final.
Once my friend gets her shih tzu I will be keeping her during the day while she is at work. So I am in debate if I am going to take the easy way out and just let her new puppy keep Kismet company and come evening time I can sit back and relax :) :D or if I am still going to get my own.
it's sad huh, when you want to get a pet for your pet. Kismet is a totally different dog since Mikey has been gone. He had put so much fear into her that she didn't trust people or other dogs. I think I put him into the rescue w/ just enough time to save Kismet from being forever unfriendly. She now loves any dog she meets! her best friends are a Boxer, a Mastiff and a Standard Poodle. The Boxer is a puppy right now but the other 2 are fully grown and they play so well together!
After she plays w/ her friends she sits in thw indow and pouts! That's why I think she would love having a friend. She missed Mikey so much after he was gone.....I guess I'll make up my mind soon enough

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
You are lucky in that respect. I am thankful that no matter what issues Kemo has he hasnt influenced her. She doesnt like BIG dogs but she is ok with dogs that are just a little bigger than she and if a BIG dog is not barky then she is ok.

A really nice Lab wanted to play with Kemo thru a fence and they sniffed noses and BAM Kemo goes and snaps at the dog. I said BOY you are lucky that dog is behind a fence. I bet a few more times and he will stop snapping, he did that with another dog (I named him Mr. Tinkles) and they can sniff and stuff and he is ok. I think Kemo has to be defensive before he can chill out, but who has all that time :roll:

I say see how the play thing goes-that way you will have a better idea if you want that FULL time. Its perfect actually that you get to do that. :D

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a good idea to wait and see how it all goes. Then I look at it another way and think..if I am going to help housebreak her puppy I might as well have mine too and work w/ them both. I have all summer while the kids are off. Well, one kid is off..my oldest, the little smarty that he is is doing a 3 week summer program at school..he has me getting up earlier but I love that he loves school! That gives me 3 weeks to decide what I want to do. When I had gotten Mikey it was last summer and it was perfect b/c I didn't have a set time to be anywhere so it was easy to house break him

1 - 15 of 15 Posts