Chihuahua People Forum banner

What do your Chi's eat, except dog food?

1981 Views 21 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  xfayex

I'm just curious, what do your dogs really like to eat except for regular dog food?

Thanks :wave:
1 - 3 of 22 Posts
i plead the fifth.....

ok kidding. i let chiwi try lots of things, because i'm having trouble finding a way to train her. she don't like anything except for greenies and cet chews as far as dog treats go (tried every one on the market!) she only eats her dog food when she is hungry for it. so i'm just trying to find something i can use for positive reinforcement. with her i can't use praise she gets so excited when you say good girl or whatever that she'll start barking and jumping around lol.

foods she's tried that she loves:

arroz con pollo
goat (oi dont' ask!)
mashed potatoes
Armando... said:
Mine love veggies...I give them brocoli, coliflower, green/red/yellow peppers, carrots and green beans They also like strawberries and peaches and plain yogurt. Sometimes they get some cheese, but that's very rare...they love seaweed ( i am giving that for the skin and coat)
They get them as treats in very small quantities and never when we are eating.
I've read the best way to feed your dog is in a raw diet, like beef cubes and veggies, but I feed them Wellness. Just switched from Eukanuba and they like it.

Never feed: chocolate, coffee, tea, anything with cafeine, fat trimmings, grapes and raisins, human vitamins or anything that contains too much iron, big amounts of liver, milk and dairy products, garlic, potatos, tomato leaves, raw eggs, raw fish, food that contains too much salt, peanuts, onions, baby food (it can contain onion powder), bones.
i belive it's only raw potatoes?
Iamafairy said:
Just a little question......How comes you cannot let chis eat grapes :oops: :?
here's an article i found for you:

In response to reports of dogs developing kidney failure after eating large amounts of grapes or raisins, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) conducted a review of all related cases in its database. Veterinary toxicologists found that all of the companion canines developed vomiting within six hours of ingestion; the estimated amounts of grapes or raisins eaten ranged from nine ounces to two pounds. Other commonly reported signs included diarrhea, anorexia, lethargy and abdominal pain, and all of the dogs developed evidence of kidney disfunction. Adds APCC's Charlotte Means, DVM, "Whether the ingested grapes were purchased fresh from grocery stores or grown in private yards didn't seem to matter, nor did the brand eaten." Clinical signs lasted for several days--sometimes even weeks. And after aggressive treatment, which included intravenous fluids and medications, half of the dogs recovered, while the others died or had to be euthanized.

At present, the exact role of grapes or raisins in these cases--what exactly is the toxic component--is still unclear. But a dog who has ingested large amounts can now be diagnosed and treated successfully. The first line of defense is decontamination, and the canine should be hospitalized and placed on IV fluids. If the blood work appears normal after three days, it's unlikely that kidney failure will occur; if there is evidence of renal failure, more aggressive treatment--including fluids, medication and possibly dialysis--is called for. For more on treating and identifying poisoning from grapes and raisins, please visit APCC online.

If you suspect that your dog has ingested large quantities of raisins or grapes--or any other potentially dangerous substance--call your veterinarian or the APCC's emergency hotline at 1-888-4-ANI-HELP for round-the-clock telephone assistance. For more information on poison prevention, go to APCC online.


When ASPCA News Alert ran an item two weeks ago (August 22, 2002) on the incidence of poisoning in dogs from the ingestion of large amounts of grapes and raisins, many readers wanted to know more. We checked in with the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center's Dr. Jill A. Richardson for the answers to your questions:

Several canine caretakers wrote in to say that they would no longer give their pets the occasional grape or raisin as a treat. "There are many people who have decided to do the same thing," responds Richardson, "but no one has reported poisoning from their pets ingesting the occasional single grape or raisin. The cases we have received involved ingestion of 2 ounces to 4.4 ounces."

Dog-owning reader Bill Benson was concerned that the few slices of banana he regularly shares with his basenji at breakfast could be harmful to her. Not to worry--"Bananas are okay," says Richardson.

B.J. Shultis e-mailed us about the family's 11-year-old dog, who has had fresh fruit and veggie snacks--including grapes, lettuce and carrots--throughout his life. "After all the years of giving him grapes as treats, could he still possibly get kidney dysfunction?" Shultis asks. Replies Richardson, "We haven't had any reports of dogs developing long-term effects from small ingestion of grapes--one or two as treats, I assume--over the years."

"Can grapes or raisins hurt small animals such as rats and gerbils?" wonders Paula Lizotte. The APCC has not yet received a case involving small animals, or pocket pets, and grapes or raisins. "But we still don't know why some types of the fruit are causing problems and others are not," says Richardson. "And we have had one case of kidney failure in a cat who ate raisins."
See less See more
1 - 3 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.