Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed her peformatrin organic food which is wonderful as a product itself id love to keep giving it to her but i dont think she likes it any more. sometimes she does not eat very much i a day , i leave it out for her in the morning, so she has food all day availabe to her. she has been to the vet and she is fine. o what kinds of food are great i would still like to give her organic no corn food ect i think you know what i mean :D wow im a rambler

·
Registered
640 Posts
There really isn't one best food. There are many premium brand and I think the best way to approach it is to find one that you are comfortable with as far as ingredients go and then see if your dog does well on it. If not, try another. What works for one dog may not be what's best for another.

I've never heard of the one you have your dog on so I can't comment on that.

One of my daughter's Chi's, she'll 11 years old, is on Solid Gold. She does better on this dog food than she has on ANY we've tried throughout the years and we are all happy with it as far as that Chi is concerned. However her puppy, who is 3 months old (also a Chi), keeps getting into it and LOVES it but it is giving him bad gas and soft stools. It gave my cocker seizures and my terrier is allergic to it! So, there you go!

I noticed that many here feed their dogs the Royal Canin for Chihuahuas and are very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i had the same problem with chico when he was a pup. he was eating nutro natural choice and he got sick of it, so i started him on nutromax and he ate that until he turned a year old. when i started him on adult food, i first tried Solid Gold, which he really didn't seem to like. Then I narrowed it down to Royal Canin for chi's and Wellnes...i ended up choosing Wellness and Chico just loves it.

If you're going for the natural foods, I'd recommend brands like Wellness, Canidea, Newman's Own, Chicken Soup (for the dog lover's soul), Solid Gold, or Showbound Naturals. I was actually leaning towards Showbound Naturals dog food for Chico before I heard about Wellness, but I can't find a store ANYWHERE that sells it. I'm thinking you can only order it online. :?

A good site is www.petfooddirect.com they have almost every pet food known and it's a good site to compare foods and ingredients.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
My chis eat Natural Balance,Nutro Ultra mixed they have no corn,wheat,soy,or milk.Canidaen is a great food as well as Wellness and Innova you can request samples to see if your chi loves them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think i'm gonna try samples that sounds like a good idea. I just dont want to end up with another picky eater. (holy stress there)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper has tried just about every natural food on the market and hasn't stuck with one yet. I just ordered the sample pack of Flint River Ranch dog food and have yet to try it out on him (it should come in the mail tomorrow) but my sister's cat loves the cat food ... and she gives a new meaning to the word "finicky".

·
Registered
640 Posts
My dog Ginger (terrier mix) has a lot of food allergies and is allergic to many of the "natural" foods. She's allergic to rice, chicken, wheat, soy, eggs, turkey, sugarbeet :? , peanuts and some other things I can't remember. All of these ingredients are natural but she's still allergic to them. We did an allergy blood test to find out what she was allergic to and these are some of the things that popped up. The vet says she can develop new allergies as time goes by.

Deb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts