Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just interested to know what people feed there Chi's on ? My little guy came from the breeder on 'Nutro Mini Pupy'

Sara & Fizzy Dave :)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I feed mine science diet small puppy chunks.... It is something like that... I know he chows it. Only if I put it through the food processor and then moisten it with warm water....

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
My two eat Iams puppy food. They both seem to like it. I have heard good things about Nutro dog food, so you may want to stick with that!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
My vet insists on Science Diet small bites puppy food and Marcus loves it. My other dogs wouldn't touch it. I've heard good things about Royal Canine and a food called Wellness also. I'm seriously thinking of switching Marcus to the Wellness. He gets Cesar wet puppy food for breakfast, a half a tin and he snacks on people food whenever he gets a chance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Both Science Diet and Iams are not the best for your babies. For one thing Iams tests on animals which is sad. If you do a search for premium food you can find some that a good and not that expensive like Chicken Soup for the dog lovers soul. That is what my dogs are on.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Nutro puppy "small bites" is a excellent food. Both of my Chi's are on it and their coats have never looked better! They were on "Natural Balance" for about 6months---it is also excellent. They could not eat the Eukanuba. It always made their "poop" hard and dry... :oops: Hope this helps :)

Sandra

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Harm,

What makes you an expert on what dog food is good or bad?
Are you a Vet?
My Vet said Science diet was good... I know alot of people whi have animals and they feed them Science diet.
I used to feed my past animals since diet.
I have seen or heard nothing bad about Science diet.

Please give us some detailed information on this food.
How would you test the dog food? would you have people taste test it?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Gadget's Mom said:
Harm,

What makes you an expert on what dog food is good or bad?
Are you a Vet?
My Vet said Science diet was good... I know alot of people whi have animals and they feed them Science diet.
I used to feed my past animals since diet.
I have seen or heard nothing bad about Science diet.

Please give us some detailed information on this food.

I was also told recently that Science diet was great for puppies and know many people here in Beijing that use it, and are satisfied. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was planning to change to S'diet after my chi finish the eukonoba. I think he may need to take few more months to finish that 3 kg package....

:roll:

Did S'diet have lamb and rice for small breed also?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Gadget's Mom said:
Harm,

Before they get to the perfect result they might have tried it on a lot of dogs, rats and mice, and watch them become sick.
I dont know if the food is good or bad, but im sure that a lot of brands do that.... :cry:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Unfortunately there is alot of "Hype" out there on dogfoods. Expensive food does not neccesarily mean better. I had a poodle who lived 14years. She would only eat one kind of dogfood and it came from K-Mart! It was very inexpensive and she was never sick???

Sandra

·
Registered
96 Posts
My dog is fed the Three Dog Bakery meals that come in a bag....alternative to wet food but a little on the Raw diet lines.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My dog is fed the Three Dog Bakery meals that come in a bag....alternative to wet food but a little on the Raw diet lines.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I feed my chi Eukanuba Puppy Small Bites, then when he is old enough I can switch to Adult Maint. Small Bites.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lots of puppy foods have different levels of protien !
Do chihuahuas need higher protien as they are so small ?

I see Royal Canin seems to have a higher protien !

·
Registered
96 Posts
I go by what my vet says...but I will say this....so far I haven't notice a difference in the protien or anything else between my dog's food and my mom's irish setter's food except it's a different brand.

We both add fish oil though for their dry skin/coat problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I feed my dogs Wellness (Chicken w/ sweet potatoes). It is suppose to be all natural and the food most close to human food. I give my two little ones the can and my bigger dogs the Wellness dry food. When I bought Stuart he was hypoglycemic and I had to give him a little of everything plus syringes of honey & a/d to keep him going. After he got a little older he wasn't as picky with eating and I put him on wellness. The feed store where I buy the food from recommended this food since he is so tiny and had his problems. So far, he is doing good and no more syringes since 6 months old. His coat is soft and silky and his weight has maintained and he has filled out. The best thing is he loves it! None of the other dogs past and present I have had in my life have been a picky eater like this little guy. He is 1 year old Jan. 30th an I'm so happy we have made it this far. He was a lot of work but I wouldn't have changed him for the world.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts