Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I recieved a message from an old friend asking if I could find room for another chi. She currently has four living with her, 3 of her own and she took in her mom's chi in July when she suddenly passed away. She has 3 kids, the oldest is 14 and youngest just turned 1. Well, her mom's chi gets along with the two older kids but attacks the baby. After a bite on the hand she has decided as much as it breaks her heart, she needs to find Izzy a new home. I have agreed to take her for a bit and see if she gets along with my girls. I do have a few concerns though. Izzy is 5 years old and not spayed(concerned about future problems with late spaying). She was also fed human food up until July and is now on Pedigree(would have to change her diet). My biggest concern is how my dogs will react with an older chi, I have always had puppies and Bailey can be a bully. Am I crazy for doing this?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
No i don't think You are crazy taking in this girl just do it slowly if possible.Take and get Izzy and you dogs together somewhere like a park or store.And then let Izzy come into the house to check it out by herself then take her back out and take them all in together.
I do not think you are crazy you are doing a really good thing.
And as far as the food just take it slowly to so it don't hurt her tummy.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I also don't think you are crazy. I think you are doing a wonderful thing. Introduce the new dog slowly and you shouldn't have any problems. Mix some of the Pedigree with the new food for a while until you can wean her off and it will prevent tummy problems. I have not had problems introducing new dogs no matter what age. Chis are very social little dogs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I dont think your crazy at all :D As long as you have the room, time, money etc to have another fur baby then why not?!! All you can do is give it a go..

Introduce them all slowely and be patient, it will take time but you will be rewarded by helping out a friend and giving a chi a lovely new home :D

As far as the food, just introduce the new food with the old food over a few day's then slowely wean off the pedigree until it's just the food you want to feed her :D

Good luck and good on you for helping out a friend in need and adding a new chi to the pack!!!!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Nothing crazy about wanting to help a Chi in need. Good for you. Just take it slow, as others have said, introduce the dogs away from home first and then let them work it out among themselves. You can add about a teaspoon of pumpkin to her food every day for a while so the change of food won't upset her tummy.

Good luck.

Jeanette

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Ha, did you really think anyone on here would tell you, you were crazy? Most of us can't get enough chi's lol Of course you do have to look at your own home and dogs and do what's best for you and them. Good luck, hope it works out and Izzy has found her forever home.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am so worried about upsetting the peace that exists in my house with the girls. I have the time and space and as for the money, I always worry about that lol. I think Izzy will be coming to my house today or tomorrow and I just need to figure out if I should just let them all together or seperate her in my bedroom. I really hope all of them get along, I don't need any more gray hair lol.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today I went to meet Izzy and unfortunately have decided not to take her. She is a serious biter and I do not have the experience to handle that. I also fear that she would fight with Bailey for alpha and it's not fair for to put my chis through that. I really hope she finds a home that can help her, one with no kids or other dogs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
At least you made the effort to see her and consider taking her in :D It wouldn't be fair on your dog's at all if she was goin to fight to be alpha.. You have made the right decision for you and your fur babies, they come first :D

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi you went and tried that was great sorry little izzy had alot of issues she sounds as she needs a person to themselves to work around the clock with her till she gets comfortable i think they bite because their scared and insecure

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I didn't have my dogs to consider I would have taken her. I really felt bad for her. I don't think she gets much attention and that is why she wanted to bite(even bit her owner's hand). I pray she finds someone to love her and help her.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts