Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Taco's new strange behaviour. I swear, he's such a character, he's constantly coming up with something else to entertain us. When we scold or reprimand Buster (our Golden Retriever) in any way....maybe by just saying "Buster, go lay down!" or somehting similar, Taco jumps up and growls and barks and attacks Buster. It's just like he's reprimanding him because he got in trouble. Has anyone else ever heard of this? Is that really what he's doing? It sure seems like it to us. And, it's so strange, I'm not sure what I should do about it. So far, I've yelled at Taco for attacking Buster, who is an 80 lb. wimp and lets a chihuahua boss him around. lol Should I be doing something else?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
ROFL... I would love to see that!!

My guess is Taco is taking the opportunity as you are exhibiting your dominance over Buster to show his as well. He probably sees himself more on your level within the pack order and is just telling Buster off as well. Since Buster is a more submissive dog (I gather from what you said about him being a wimp), that's probably what's going on.

Poor Buster. Give him a hug for me. LOL

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
It just sounds to me like Taco is trying to exhibit his dominance over Buster. As long as Buster doesn't have a problem with it, and neither is doing anything to hurt the other one I would just ignore it and let them work it out between themselves.

I bet that is funny to watch - :lol: A little chi telling off a big golden retriever...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol....it is kind of funny! You can't help but laugh at him, he's such a character. But, I feel sorry for Buster. He's getting into double trouble, because Taco way over reacts to even a very small infraction. Buster's 8 years old, Taco's only 1, so he's been here a lot longer and here comes this little chi that he outweighs by almost 8 times that's beating him up all the time. Buster is very laid back and very well behaved. He really kind of acts like Taco is just an irritating little knat that he would really rather just ignore if Taco would just make that possible, but he's persistant, if nothing else. Oh well, I'll just give him a few extra rubs for being so patient. Did anyone ever hear of any other dog acting like that, or is he that unique? Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
MYCHIBABY said:
lol....it is kind of funny! You can't help but laugh at him, he's such a character. But, I feel sorry for Buster. He's getting into double trouble, because Taco way over reacts to even a very small infraction. Buster's 8 years old, Taco's only 1, so he's been here a lot longer and here comes this little chi that he outweighs by almost 8 times that's beating him up all the time. Buster is very laid back and very well behaved. He really kind of acts like Taco is just an irritating little knat that he would really rather just ignore if Taco would just make that possible, but he's persistant, if nothing else. Oh well, I'll just give him a few extra rubs for being so patient. Did anyone ever hear of any other dog acting like that, or is he that unique? Thanks for your input!
I have not heard of this before. Taco's a real pistol. :lol: But I do feel bad for poor Buster. :(

·
Registered
746 Posts
:lol: That's too funny...I won't let Mo know about this.

Mo does beat up on my big dogs all the time. They are very good about it, and very well behaved like your sweet Buster. Sometimes they will play with him, but usually try to ignore him... I guess you can't ignore a chi!!

Mo hasn't tried to discipline them yet, but I hardly ever have to scold them. He definitely thinks he's the boss though :D

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
If Taco seems to be getting a little overzealous with his reprimands of Buster, you might try just snapping your fingers at him and giving him a "hey" when he starts up. He may, in his covert ways, be trying to take your dominance as well - and is just using your corrections towards Buster as a springboard.

He's being sneaky... I don't trust them when they're sneaky. LOL I love Buster. Ask him if he wants to spend summer vacations with me. I could give him his own room and Cooper promises he won't be bossy. I can't promise anything from Oma though.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
discipling

My first Great Dane does this to my second Great Dane when I scold him. I have always considered it a dominance thing as well, but with the danes I do not allow the behavior, I am scared it will get out of hand. Sometimes my Yorkies gives his two scents to :lol:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
when you reprimand buster you are reasserting your dominance using words...taco sees this and thinks, ooops need to tell him im higher than him here too and inturn asserts his dominance in the only way he knows how...
belive me if buster got too sick of it hed give taco a good bat with a paw and stand over the littleguy/half lay on him (the one on top is in charge)

if taco is being very bad with it though as was said as soon as it starts say Enough in a sort of growl to taco, it will show him you have the situation under control and you are the boss of all bosses.
if this doesnt work you can alwasy try ignoring the behaviour (any kind of responce can be considered a reward so laughing/giggling or even says "look at this silly dog" to him is permission to kep doing it.

i think buster knows that this little munchkin of a brother he has is just being bossy and that theres no harm in him...and if push came to shove buster would put taco in his place...i think taco just belives hes the same size as buster...and if buster is happier letting the pain in the toosh be above in in the food chain, theres no problems.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
nope, my 3 if i repremand one they all put their heads down. Actually the ony one I have to repremand is Sturgis he is a nudge with Lady. When i sayno leave her alone and he continues I say that's it time for bed and poor Daytona looks with hisears down like what did ido? I tell Daytona repeatedly its ok your a good boy Sturgis is a bad boy. but Daytona just dont get it lol. I tell Sturgis go to bed and all 3 go to bed lol. They know go to bed is time out and time for bed is they are going in for the night

1 - 12 of 12 Posts