Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about everybody's opinion on where to get a Chihuahua. A lot of people say that pet stores are the worse [possibly coming from puppy mills] and that breeders are the best out there.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter to me, as long as I am giving the dog a loving home. My boyfriend and I got Peanut from a pet store, so he ended up having kennal cough for about two weeks. When I got Cookie, I was 7, but I remember she came from a pet store as well. Both have papers stating that they are purebred, although Cookie's size makes her look like a mix. Both of them are very loving, especially Peanut since he is still a puppy [Cookie bit an old friend of mine, turned out he wasn't a friend anyways].

So what are your opinions?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Try to find a reputable breeder and check them out completely.
Real breeders try to breed for health and looks.
They have a passion for the breed not a passion for money!!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
If your going to love the dog I don't think it matters where it comes from.

in saying that, a puppy from the shop maybe be a few hundred cheaper when you buy it, but it could cost you alot in vet bills and heart ache if it has been bred poorly or inherited bad genes...

That was the deal breaker for me, I would die to see my puppy in pain, so I coughed up to get Fiddle from a breeder.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
When I decided I wanted a chi, I had a few rules I was going to go by. It didn't matter if it came from a pet store or a home. I wanted my chi to be either the first or the second litter (always been scared of overbreeding). Wanted it to be pure, but papers didn't really matter to me. That being said, & seeing how many health issues these little guys can have, I would be more cautious then ever & probably look into buying from a reputable breeder, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I won't hesitate at all to say the my preferred place to see dogs come from is rescue organizations. My little guy is a rescue. It took a bit of leg work to find him but I am so glad I did! He was actually rescued from a "reputable" breeder. She had all the paperwork in line, was a member "in good standing" with the AKC yet, she managed to have too many dogs for her area and when they were taken, many were malnourished. I was told by the foster mom that they even lost 2 pups due to malnourishment. Unless I knew the person PERSONALLY, Id have a hard time believing anything I was told. There are so many rescue organiztions out there and many are breed specific. That is without a doubt my first choice.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I am all for shelter dogs/rescues! I have adopted many pets through my local pound and took in stays. Dogs and cats some pure bred some mixed. I honestly feel that those dogs truly appreciate you and are deeply loyal. And to top is off, 200 dogs are put to sleep daily here in my local city. The most common breed in those 200 are Chihuahuas :( It is heartbreaking to me! So adoption is my top preference. That being said, my chi is from a beeder. A good breeder who responsibly, and found homes for both puppies. She also only bred her chi twice. She loves her chi and took all pecautions to be sure her chi was good and healthy to breed thus having healthy offspring. The breeder is a relative of mine and my puppy was given to me free of cost. Her dad is an AKC registered Blue and the mama is chocolate brown. So to me rescues and good responsible breeders are the only way to go.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I personally think it's wrong to buy foam a pet store you are funding people who abuse animal!! Yes you get a cute over prices puppy who prob has fake papers is a bugger to toilet train could get very sick and die, have temperement problems.. If you're willing to deal with that still then spare a thought for your poor dogs dam who you will never meet because she is stuck in a cage living in her own excrement being bred every single season... Being fed if she's lucky and out in all weathers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9eYRoufeCk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I could not live with myself knowing I have supported this disgusting growing industry! It is growing because people can't be bothered to take the time to look for a reputable breeder and WAIT for a dog they want!!

I urge you to look for ethical breeders in your area nit someone who breeds their non standard pets for an extra quid here and there but someone who cares about the breed wants to improve it and looks after their dogs with the utmost care!! They will NOT charge you ridiculous prices and you'll know you have a healthy dog that has come from a good home rather than a mum who has never seen daylight or had human contact

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
And I can't believe some of you think it doesn't matter where the dog comes from!!!!!! Go onto you tube and put in puppy mills then come back and say it doesn't matter :roll: jeez this is awful

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
And I can't believe some of you think it doesn't matter where the dog comes from!!!!!! Go onto you tube and put in puppy mills then come back and say it doesn't matter :roll: jeez this is awful
Not to be mean but really, people need to open their eyes to this puppy mill crap. I dont think people know ALL that much bout it! PET STORES are a HUGE HUGE no no! Yes you are giving that puppy a loving home GREAT>.....BUT at the same time you're feedin those fricking puppy millers and making them richer and more abuse to that puppys MOM and all the other crap. Puppy mills are just unreal I don't know how heartless those people can be. MY advice and CHOICE are breeders and shelters, That is where I got my girls at. Shayley from a breeder and Kizzie from a shelter. Breeders are much better than petstores BUT not just ANY breeder b/c there are some out there that are just as bad as puppymillers so it's a lot of investating (well for me it is if I go through a breeder). I got Shayley from a breeder, never had a problem. I remember my friend (this was years ago when I was a kid) her mom would buy her pets from petstore and there would ALWAYS no matter how small the issue is, just always an issue with the poor dogs. Petstores are no nos! That's just for animal lovers period! :foxes15:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Really?

I'm completely with DaisyDoo!!! If you really don't think it matters where your dogs come from then you need to watch those videos. Every time a puppy is bought from a pet store you are giving that breeder money to do it again and it opens up a spot in the store for the next poor pup! If you don't know or believe this then you have your head stuck in the sand. Puppy mills are a very real and huge problem. The pups from them are often from dams that are bred every heat until they can no longer produce puppies then they are either killed (think shot or drowned because puppy millers can't be bothered to pay for a humane euthansia) or if they are lucky they are dropped at a shelter where they remain looking for a home, often in vain as they are undersocialized and all but impossible to housetrain. They live in their own waste and have sad, horrible lives.

Now I know people are saying that they are 'rescuing' the puppies from pet stores but no you are not! By buying those puppies you are supporting those horrible breeding practices. Do you want to put your stamp of approval on those poor dogs in the videos? As hard as it is you have to harden your heart and walk away from those pups.

If you are looking for a pup you need to do your research. Find a good breeder and be willing to wait for the right dog. I waited over a year for my male border collie. Or go to a local shelter or rescue group. We have a small breed rescue here that always has many chihuahuas available. My Lilo came from rescue and she is a wonderful girl. Unless you are looking to do conformation showing a rescue dog might be just the right choice.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Buying from pet stores...you're supporting puppy mills. People buying from pet stores are what keeps the demand there. If people stop buying from them...they will stop breeding unhealthy, sick dogs. Have you seen the "Animal Planet Investigates: Petland"? That gives you a very good look into just the beginning of the practices. And there are SO many more mills out there than whats pictures.

Also, you may not think it matters where your pet comes from. But for me, I want to make sure my pets stay as healthy as possible their whole lives. Buying from pet stores/puppy mills--your pup not only could be unhealthy when you bring it home but it could also have an illness such as luxating patella's, etc that will require a bit cost down the road to fix. Something that CAN be prevented if you buy from a reputable breeder.

I say if you have no problem with the genetic issues that may come from buying at a pet store (which usually costs just as much as a decent pet breeder **and yes, I do think there are good pet breeders out there as not everyone is looking for show dogs**) you'd be MUCH better off going to the shelter & finding a dog there. At least then you know are SAVING a dog & not supporting the people who put them there.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Look at it this way....would you walk into a puppy-mill and pick out a puppy there...seeing it's mom in a small cage so sick and tired looking from being bred over and over again. Not even being able to move because she's in a cage with 3 or 4 other dogs....I doubt you would. If anybody says yes to that you don't deserve a dog period! Chihuahua or not! So just think of it that way when you walk into a petstore! It may look all cute and nice filled with puppies but those puppies came from the saddest place on Earth to me. :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't know about puppy mills until AFTER I got Peanut. A friend of mine has a mother who works at the SPCA, and she told me to take Peanut back to the pet store. I was looking at the papers for Cookie, and it turns out that the store she came through was actually through breeders. I won't be getting another Chihuahua until after I graduate from College, so I have four years to find a breeder in my area, and do much more research.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
If you look enough you'll find that breeder was a puppy miller!! No breeder would sell dogs to a pet shop.. The mills sell to a broker who then sell to the petshop!

There is nothing that can be done now but because you said it doesn't matter as long as the dog is loved I had to correct you, watch those videos... Maybe you could get on the waiting list for one that's due after you graduate

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I agree with Sarah, i would never help scum keep on breeding like that!
I would always go to a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I would only recommend going to a reputable breeder or a rescue/shelter for ANY pet.

NO reputable breeder would sell their puppies to pet stores. Reputable breeders care about bettering the breed, and want to know where ALL their puppies are going to.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Couldn't agree more with Sarah. It absolutely DOES matter where you buy from, anyone who thinks otherwise has not done their research. If you care about the welfare of animals there are only two options: 1) a reputable breeder that has been thoroughly checked out or 2) from a rescue. That's it. The ONLY way to stop these horrible situations from continuing are to STOP buying from pet stores and back yard breeders. If you give your money to people like that you are doing nothing more but continuing to help these horribly cruel practices stay alive.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts