Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you know that I had a problem with Pearl eating through my drywall. The other day I noticed a new "hole" by the window she sits by. Then this morning, while out chit chatting with a neighbor, her child pointed out that Pearl was eating dirt. I looked around and sure enough, she was eating the white clay-like stuff that lines our road. And we're not talking about mouthing a rock or two (which she's done in the past). She was literally lapping at the the little white clay balls just as you would a powdered treat.

Egads, she's just so weird.

I can't think of any deficiency in her diet. She eats everything under the sun. She gets fish, lean meats, soft bone and marrow, dog kibble, fruits, vegetables. What in the world could be lacking from her diet that is causing this behavior. Or could it be that she's just a mouthy dog? Could she just eat to be eating?

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
She sounds a lot like Tabitha. I caught her (and Jerry) eating a hole in the dining room
wall :( Tabitha also is the one to pick up anything in the yard and taste it... I spend
a lot of time carrying her around the yard while Jerry plays ball. I don't know why she
does this. I hope it's a stage they outgrow...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to see I'm not the only one with what looks like rodent holes in their wall. LOL. Thank goodness for strategically placed furniture and curtains. I too hope it's just a passing phase that they grow out of. Pearl and Tilly are heading into year two and (God willing) will mature a bit in a variety of ways.

Btw...loving the siggy. I'm a short haired chi girl, but whenever I see Tabitha and Jerry, I want a long haired one so badly. Their coats are just so lush and all that feathering on their legs and tail is divine!

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Good to see I'm not the only one with what looks like rodent holes in their wall. LOL. Thank goodness for strategically placed furniture and curtains....
yes, I have a switchplate cover in the dining room with nothing behind it but
a hole in the wall! someday, someone will buy this house and think they have
an extra cable outlet or something! LOL!

Long Coats are lovely to photograph and to snuggle up with too. But, as with
anything else, there are disadvantages as well. I still sometimes really want a
smooth coat. So, there we are, looking across the fence at the greener grass! :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
My younger border collie was a dirt eater for quite a while. She would dig the grass to the side and just go to town like it was kibble. Eating big mouthfuls. I was told that it was probably just a stage and that she would outgrow it (she was about 7-8 months old) so I didn't worry. Until the day she came inside and vomited a huge puddle/pile of mud! Too much! I then spent the next day sitting outside with her and whenever I saw her eating at one of her holes I went over and sprinkled cayenne pepper in the holes. She would go to the next hole and I would do the same. Took a while but she finally gave up.

It's not the end of the world but nasty stuff lives in the dirt and I didn't want her getting a weird infection!!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Venus used to eat the drywall at Jer's dads when we were there. Unfortunatly it wasn't one we could cover up or anything either. Jer's old dog he had when he was little (died when he was 17), he's said used to eat the gravel from their driveway, and would eat the vegetables and dirt from their garden. This is off subject, I know, but the funny part about the garden was that he would always dig up the onions and eat them, loads of them, each summer, his whole life. It's funny because of how dangerous they are to dogs, but this dogs, with the hundreds he ate, lived to be 17 years old.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm almost tempted to lick the doggone thing myself just to see what's so appetizing about it. lol

Lately, I get grapefruit pith (luckily still avail right now) and rub loads of it onto the exposed portions. The drywall absorbs it like crazy, and the hole never gets any bigger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts