Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pen type area set up in my kitchen for leila right now, so she is on the actual floor (linoleum) but has a gated area around her. Now i'd like to get an actual playpen like a baby playpen so i can keep her in the carpeted rooms with me or if i take her with me visiting family etc. Now when my kids were small i had a playpen that packed up, I never really used it but i sold it a long time ago. So I need to go get one and wanted to know what works best.

Thanks!
Cheryl:)

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Cheryl, I would allow her on the carpeted areas. If you watch when she has just had
a pee or poo, then let her play with you on the carpet for a bit. If she makes a mistake,
it is small and easily cleaned. I used club soda and white towels to blot up afterward...

I'm sure others will share about using a Pack N Play or something for travel :)

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She does come out and plays on the carpet with us and yes she did have a couple pee accidents. But when I can't watch her but would like for her to be able to be in the room with me, i would like to have one for that purpose. And when i go to to sisters, moms, etc. house I want to keep her safe and not have to worry about her using the bathroom on their floors. lol

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I think the only way to train them to NOT potty on the carpet is to let them make a few mistakes...not on purpose of course, but they need to learn somehow that they aren't to potty on it. Put a potty pad down or two, and only let her on the carpet at first when she's already pottied. For 15-20 min she should be fine.

One problem I've found is that mine know "WE DO NOT POTTY ON CARPET" ... "BUT...if there is something ON the carpet, like a piece of paper, dad's sweatshirt, some sort of package...we may pee there!". So...it's steps at a time. I now am working very hard to establish the ONLY place they are to potty is potty pads or on the deck on the potty pads.

Your girl is still young so keep in mind that she will have quite a few accidents. I would say Trigger was pad trained by 13 weeks but then we got another one and he isn't, and dogs will be dogs...if they smell pee, they're probably gonna go.

Right now Bryco is kept in his pen on the carpeted area of the house but we lined the floor of the pen with a thin soft plastic (actually just force flex trash bags halved), covered with a fleece blanket so he isn't on a cold floor all day. It helps teach him that soft floor does not = potty floor, as he has his potty pad holder in there as well and he's done great using it.

I think the key is to make their world progressively bigger a tiny bit at a time, expect mistakes, and praise like crazy when they get it right.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I totally agree with Therese and Kristi.. She needs to be accustomed to all sorts of flooring or she'll freak if she goes on something new. Puppies pee and poo all the time.. How old is Leila i don't remember you ever saying.

As babies they generally go every hour sometimes every 30 minutes. If you want her trained quickly you really need to put her on the pad or wherever you're having her going at this time.. she will then learn this is where she goes and after a short while she'll take herself to the pad to do her business.

I never pad trained Daisy so i can't really comment on what to do at other peoples houses but i always take Daisy straight out into their garden of where we're going to go for a pee when we get there.. then i check her and as a baby i was taking her out hourly again there.. Now she know where to go in the houses we go to so goes and waits by the back door.. She prob goes every 3 hours now and she's just about to turn 6 months.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
10 weeks old. I agree she needs to be on all sorts of flooring, textures, etc. She has been on many surfaces to get used to them. But as far as her Safety goes..i feel because she is so small and i dont trust my other dogs with her alone, i will need a playpen for this purpose. She does fine in the kitchen when i'm not home or busy doing housework,etc. But sometimes I feel guilty that she can't see me and would like to have something mobile that i can have her in the room with me but she would be confined and safe from things when i'm not "watching".
She is pad training now, but at some point she will learn to go outside also. She hasn't had all her shots or any flea preventative, etc. yet. So inside she will stay until then.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Did the breeder not flea her so to speak??

Could you tether her too you whilst you do the house work?? Or whatever room your in with her then confine her to that room.. Or put the other dogs into another room.. Its all very new to her everything is baby steps and if you commit to it early on and involve her in what you're doing even if its an inconvenience (like mopping the floor with a dog around is a pain in the arse!) she'll prob learn quicker

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I do have a playpen, but I only really use it to contain Libby while she is still young at nighttime, as well as when I am gone. I also use it when I go places, such as to my parent's house. They are very nice and convenient..But as stated above, she will need to get accustomed to different types of flooring..Libby has had about a billion "oopsies"..just get some of that spray to clean it up:)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I have a few different play pens, but this is my favorite. I just bought this one about a month or so ago. The others came from Wal-Mart. They were okay, but if you are looking for something space saving, easy to pack up, take with you, move around the house, something like this is awesome! The inside dimensions are 36" length, 22" wide. Overall outside dimensions would be a bit more. Jade sleeps in it at night, but I use it for all my pups. If there are too many people/kids running in and out they feel safe in there.

I had the link copied, but lost it. brb with that.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I got a girly pink infant travel crib through Walmart for Isis when company comes who are allergic to her. Unfortunately she figured out how to climb up the screen mesh using her nails and jump out, which for her, at 3 lbs, is dangerous for her pencil thin legs. Apparently she didn't like the fact I put her in it and left the room a few minutes. LOL Needless to say it's now only used by the cat when she's feeling stressed by Isis and wants some time out from being chased. LOL I also have one of the Pet Gear playpens and those have a zipper on one end so you can leave it open if they want to go in and out. Those are really nicely made and cute to boot.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha zoey's mom, that was me. I got one on order thru walmart for 38 bucks. I am looking more for a baby type playpen that has a bottom and I can easily pack up and take to ppl's houses or whatever, if needed.
I think i'm gonna hunt down a pack n play playpen. Wish i still had mine from when my kids were little. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts