Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its comming up to summer soon (Australia) and I am planning to take Fiddle down to my caravan where there is a lake and the beach.

In the hope she will swim! haha I have been looking for life jacket/life vests.
Most of the ones I see are in the US so I figured I would see what the US Chi peeps are using?

So, What life jacket or floatation device are you using?

and if so could you show me a pic?

THANKS!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I think it's important your Chi knows how to swim without life jacket. My Chi knows how to swim, but when we go boating, I have a life jacket that has a handle on the top to carry her around or grab her up out of the water if she falls off the boat. I don't have pics yet.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's important your Chi knows how to swim without life jacket. My Chi knows how to swim, but when we go boating, I have a life jacket that has a handle on the top to carry her around or grab her up out of the water if she falls off the boat. I don't have pics yet.
Thanks for the advice, do you have any tips on helping them to swim? most of what i have been told is, food/treats and lots of them, if i can get another dog to come along who can swim, and to hold under her belly so she gets the leg motion going then slowly let her on her own.

What brand is the one you use?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
That video of Zoey swimming is so cute!!! My daughter was watching it with me, and we both said, awwwwwwwwww! :lol:

We don't have any life jackets, The Wee's have never been swimming. Unless you count the time that Gia took off in a Pond to chase ducks. :lol: Talk about me having a heart attack. :lol: The Ducks were fussing at her from the bank, and she decided that she wanted to go kick some Duck butt. :lol:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That video of Zoey swimming is so cute!!! My daughter was watching it with me, and we both said, awwwwwwwwww! :lol:

We don't have any life jackets, The Wee's have never been swimming. Unless you count the time that Gia took off in a Pond to chase ducks. :lol: Talk about me having a heart attack. :lol: The Ducks were fussing at her from the bank, and she decided that she wanted to go kick some Duck butt. :lol:

haha that sounds like fun! for Gia at least haha, so did she actually go into the water? haha

There is a fake duck in the pool at my partners and it sends his pug insane! haha Quite funny!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
haha that sounds like fun! for Gia at least haha, so did she actually go into the water? haha

There is a fake duck in the pool at my partners and it sends his pug insane! haha Quite funny!
It's hilarious the things that get some of them going. :lol:

She was on a leash, thankfully. But we were at the edge of the bank just enough to get their feet wet. She just took off right in the water! :lol: She was swimming her little heart out until the leash stopped her. She did really good for never having been swimming. It was like she just knew how. :lol: She also jumped off in a really deep ditch on one of our walks. We were stopped at someone's driveway letting everyone get a drink, and wham, she just jumped in the ditch full of water. So I guess she's a water baby. :lol:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts

Thanks T! Even though she's been doing swim therapy since the middle of July 2x a week she still HATES it. But it has helped her knee heal right after surgery. Poor thing has to have the other knee operated on, then more swim therapy.

LOL goodness I bet that gave you a scare when Gia went after the ducks. What a tough girl.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's hilarious the things that get some of them going. :lol:

She was on a leash, thankfully. But we were at the edge of the bank just enough to get their feet wet. She just took off right in the water! :lol: She was swimming her little heart out until the leash stopped her. She did really good for never having been swimming. It was like she just knew how. :lol: She also jumped off in a really deep ditch on one of our walks. We were stopped at someone's driveway letting everyone get a drink, and wham, she just jumped in the ditch full of water. So I guess she's a water baby. :lol:

Naww that sounds so cute! tho at the time would have been quite frightening!

There are lots of different opinions on the web about dogs and swimming, not all people belive that they will take to water. But Gia is a perfect example that with the right motivation, be it ducks haha, then they will swim!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Thanks for the advice, do you have any tips on helping them to swim? most of what i have been told is, food/treats and lots of them, if i can get another dog to come along who can swim, and to hold under her belly so she gets the leg motion going then slowly let her on her own.

What brand is the one you use?
I have a pool so I get in with them & hold my hand under their belly until they get the feel of swimming. We love water & during the summer, we are either in the pool or at the lake. Some dogs take to swimming naturally for some reason & others need a little help. My brother has 3 boxers & believed that they automatically knew how to swim til he took Max boating the one day. Max jumped off the boat & my brother realized Max was having trouble & had to jump in & help. My first Chi (Midgies mom) was a natural at swimming. Midgie was not.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Thanks T! Even though she's been doing swim therapy since the middle of July 2x a week she still HATES it. But it has helped her knee heal right after surgery. Poor thing has to have the other knee operated on, then more swim therapy.

LOL goodness I bet that gave you a scare when Gia went after the ducks. What a tough girl.
Bless her heart. :( Her dis don't wike da water Mama. Those sad puppy looks they give you when they have to do something they don't like is just so pitiful, aren't they. :lol: I'm happy to hear that swimming has helped her knee. And very sorry to hear she has to have another operation. Poor little girl is much to small to have to go through all of that. Just breaks your heart, doesn't it. She sounds like she has a lot of will though, so I'm sure she'll do fine. :)

Yeah, I was quite in shock when Gia took off for those Ducks. It was pretty funny watching them chew each other out though. For whatever reason they had a score to settle. :lol:

Naww that sounds so cute! tho at the time would have been quite frightening!

There are lots of different opinions on the web about dogs and swimming, not all people belive that they will take to water. But Gia is a perfect example that with the right motivation, be it ducks haha, then they will swim!
Yeah, my heart was pumping a mile a minute. None of my others are fond of water, and Gia doesn't really like baths, but I don't think she'd let a body of water stop her if she wanted to get some where. :lol:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a pool so I get in with them & hold my hand under their belly until they get the feel of swimming. We love water & during the summer, we are either in the pool or at the lake. Some dogs take to swimming naturally for some reason & others need a little help. My brother has 3 boxers & believed that they automatically knew how to swim til he took Max boating the one day. Max jumped off the boat & my brother realized Max was having trouble & had to jump in & help. My first Chi (Midgies mom) was a natural at swimming. Midgie was not.
I love when you can imagine the way people would have said what that have written! "My first Chi (Midgies mom) was a natural at swimming. Midgie was not" haha, I knew exactly the tone you said that!

Im waiting for it to be warm enough to go in to pool. I figure if it's too cold she wont ever want to go near it again haha

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a ezydog lifejacket for mine but its a bit on the big side (and its their smallest size) so im thinking about getting a paws aboard one from the us
Thanks! I will probly get mine from the US as well. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts