Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a list of names ready for when I got my chi, mainly Mexican I will admit! I had a list for girls and a list for boys. The breeder actually named him Rolo, I thought about changing it but it did rather suit him. Here in England we have little round chocolates with a caramel centre called Rolo's, very yummy!
My husband wanted to call him Fagbutt! Lol. He was very nearly Chico but that seems to be quite common

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
2 Posts
We named our Chipin Myah because it seemed to suit her. Her first owners were calling her Amigo which we did not find suited a girl puppy at all.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Gemma was named "Emma" from her breeder. I had a lot of names in mind for her, but since they were English names, my Swedish boyfriend didn't like most of them because he wasn't used to them. My favorites were Willow and Apple, but he said no way. :p He did like her current name of Emma, so I suggested Gemma, which was the name I had always wanted to name my firstborn daughter. He loved it so we finally agreed on naming her Gemma. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well Onyx is a very black stone and when I got my puppy, she was just a little ball of shiny black puff. So "Onyx" was the first thing that came to mind.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Angel was named by my husband. I wasn't overly anxious to get this paticular one. But he said, "Oh, he looks like such a little Angel!" Let me tell you, I guess it's like with kids, be careful what you name them! He has been and still is a challenge for me!

Haha, we have Rolo candy here also. Used to be one my favorites!

·
Registered
369 Posts
The names that I picked for our little guy was Pip, Zeus, and Apollo. Hubby and my daughter hated them, so we let out daughter come up with a list most of which were the likes of sparkle and sprinkles, but down around the bottom was Biscuit. She said it was her favorite and my husband said he wasn't embarrassed to yell it on the street so we all kind of just agreed to go with it. In the beginning he was so young and tiny that my daughter couldn't really do a lot to help out with him other than feed and water and hold while sitting only, so it gave her a sense of "this is my puppy" which she really needed. So Biscuit it is.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha! Anybody that knows me will tell you the other great love of my life is chocolate so that's another reason why I stuck with Rolo!

·
Registered
299 Posts
The names that I picked for our little guy was Pip, Zeus, and Apollo. Hubby and my daughter hated them, so we let out daughter come up with a list most of which were the likes of sparkle and sprinkles, but down around the bottom was Biscuit. She said it was her favorite and my husband said he wasn't embarrassed to yell it on the street so we all kind of just agreed to go with it. In the beginning he was so young and tiny that my daughter couldn't really do a lot to help out with him other than feed and water and hold while sitting only, so it gave her a sense of "this is my puppy" which she really needed. So Biscuit it is.
Lol Sparkle! My little sister got her own cat a few years back and she named her something very basic and blah... "Princess" :roll: she changed it to Fluffy a few days later though and as far as I know, she is still named Fluffy lol.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I know right, there was no way in **ll I was naming this poor dog sparkles lol but what are you gonna do with a 7 year old girl who's life is about sparkles. I think Biscuit came from the books that we were reading this summer about a beagle. but it kind of suits his color and size so it works. My husband says at least with this name he doesn't have to call him "hey you", because he could not call him her other picks "and be a man".

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Let's see, I named my girl Lola bc at that time Bella and Lola were my favorite girl names, but since Twilight was such a huge hit, everyone and their mother were naming their dogs and cats Bella so I went w Lola. Then we rescued Mojo, who is the spinning image of Mojo from the movie Transformers. My fiancé chose that name and while it wasn't my favorite, it fit him well. Finally we named Our last guy Leo bc his coat and colorings resemble a lion, so he's "Leo the lion!" lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hilton Head Humane always assigns ridiculous names to their pets up for adoption. Our guy was "Escapade," which suggests he may have been a runaway. Since he immediately brought great joy to a couple of old folks who children have long since grown up, we changed over to Simcha (the ch is pronounced like the hard ch in the German word 'achtung.) This is the Hebrew word for joy, or happiness. I might note that we have friends, also Jewish, who gave their Chi-Mini Pinscher mix the Israeli name of Ari.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
My girls are named after Scripture. Their other name is just something we liked.

They are:
HOPE Landry
Ruby FAITH
Eden GLORY

Romans 5:1-5
Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; 4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I love the name Simcha, I like names to have relevant meanings.
Before we got Bambi we fell in love with a friends smooth fawn puppy, Prudence. I always used to comment that she looked like Bambi (as in the Disney film) So when we decided to get a puppy, my daughter wanted a fawn smooth coat to call Bambi! We had the name before the dog. As well as being associated with a Disney fawn, it comes from the italian word 'bambina/bambino' meaning baby or small child, which is fitting as she is our baby. She gets called Bella Bambina or Mia Bambina sometimes ('beautiful baby' or 'my baby'.) Mostly she gets called Beast or Beasty!
Harley was called Marley when he came to us, which we weren't keen on, it's a bit girly for a boy dog. So we were trying to think of a similar sounding name and came up with Charlie, Archie, Mariachi, but they didn't seem right. We thought about naming him after the friend with Prudence, (after all if it hadn't been for him we wouldn't have a Chihuahua at all, let alone a second one!) but Ian is a silly name for a dog. Then it seemed obvious, Ian is a huge Harley Davidson fan, and Harley rhymes with Marley! He is even the same colour as the HD logo, so it was obviously meant to be. We call him Moo though, or Moo Moo or Mr Moo.... I have no idea why!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I also like meaningful names. I met my puppies since they are born, we would visit every time till we finally brought them home so we got to know their personalities. Laska is such a loving puppy he is calm and cuddly, Laska is love in czech. Karma is sometimes nice sometimes naughty, so I called her karma :).

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I like names that are short versions of longer names. Max was maxwell, Lilly is Lillian, Toby is Tobias. As you can tell, I also like human names.

You also know what dogs my sister named (brownie, rocky, buddy). They are all more "dog" names.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Registered
887 Posts
Stella is the name my little Jackchi came with. I liked it (even though no one else did at first), and it seems to suit her.

All of my animals have so called "people names." I don't pick them before hand and it can take some time before I find a name that suits the new family member.

Of all my pets I have:

Maximus (bf's dog - not named by me)
Maggie May (bf's dog - not named by me)
Stella Louise
Persephone aka Sophie (chinchilla)
Rosario aka Rosie (chin)
Vladimir aka Vlad the Impaler (chin)
Doyle (chin)
Jethro (rabbit - rescue, not named by me)

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
My friend said I should have called Mylo Vladmir or Boris because he looks like a bat. I had a list of names and my other half chose Mylo. I wanted sully or fievel but I didn't have one I really loved anyway.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Poor Jaxx was probably very confused for the first month as we tried on different names to see if we thought they suited him.
My BF wanted to name him "Bubba" but I put my foot down on that one. Then he wanted to name him "To Mater" from the movie Cars. I thought that one was kind of cute and almost agreed.
I really liked the name Jackson but there are so many dogs around our complex that are named Jack that I just couldn't bring myself to add another one to the lot. I decided that I would be original (or so I thought) and misspell Jackson to Jaxxson. Months later I found out that my boyfriend agreed to the name Jaxx so fast because of the character Jaxx on Sons of Anarchy. I thought I was being cute and he hoodwinked me but Jaxx does really fit him so it all worked out in the end.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah! Fievel! There's a film I watched a million times with my kids when they were little. Fievel goes west-that brings back some memories

1 - 20 of 29 Posts