Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i thought it would be fun and interesting to learn about what made everyone want a chihuahua, and what made them fall in love with the breed

ill start, legally blonde made me want one (of course lol) so i begged my parents to get me one, and they were very against it because they didnt know much about the breed and they thought they were ugly yappy shaky little dogs, but i finally talked them into it. of course when i brought shara home for the 1st time my parents thoughts on chihuahuas totally changed when they saw this tiny little ball of fluff in my hands. my whole family fell in love with her, she was so beautiful and sweet on the outside, but so tough and loyal in the inside and not scared of anything. after she died i realized there was no point in having any other breed, because nothing could beat the personality of a chihuahua.

this is her:

pictures do her no justice..

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
When I got Pippi, I didnt want a Chihuahua. I thought they were too delicate, I wanted something I could do agility with and show, til Pippi came into my life!

Pip was a rescue from a woman who wanted her put down (and if the vet refused, her words were "Or i'll do it myself!") - So I offered the woman £20 for her and her brother. The vet adopted her brother, and I took on Pippi. I'd been planning on just saving her from being PTS and rehoming her, but as soon as I picked her up I just fell in love with her - There was an instant connection there. She just made me fall in love with her, and Chihuahuas in general.

Pip went through so much before I got her, and was attacked a couple of times while I had her by my ex's husky, so its taken so much work to get her back to being the lovely dog she is, but I wouldnt trade her for the world! Shes done more for me than I could ever give her credit for.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh that is nice, i cant beleave that women said that, some people are really sick, im so glad pip finally found the person she deserves.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I will not say I loved chihuahua from the start. I've always been a big dog person but living in an apartment that doesn't always fly.

I went to work on any ordinary day and there was a kennel behind the counter and my boss had a huge grin on her face, I peeked inside and - puppies. 7 of them. Gretel was the only girl and I knew as soon as I saw her she had to be mine. I immediately called my BF and frantically explained to him I wanted her and I was bringing her home no matter what he said - he's very responsible and said clearly said NO, we live in an apartment we don't have time she's just a baby you don't want that responsibility.

After some serious prodding he caved and guess whose baby she is, not mine certainly. Daddy's Little Princess.

Godric was a whim decision as well, sort of. We knew we wanted another dog but we weren't sure what kind since we had more space and somewhat yard for them. We debated on a few - basset hound, pit, and weenie, in the end we decided on Chi simply because we loved her so much why not double the fun and we also didn't want to risk her being hurt by having a large unattended puppy around the house.

I learn something new about Chi everyday that makes me fall in love with them even more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
well, i was looking into small breeds a few years back, because even though i've always had big breed dogs all my life, i now live in an apartment, and i travel by plane a lot to go visit my parents, so my craving of having a little companion had to include being "portable".

i never considered chihuahuas because all i knew about them was that they were tiny little rat-like shreaky things with bug eyes. it took accidentally finding this crufts video to see what an actual well bread conformed chihuahua looks like, and i though they were actually cute, nothing like the weird little creatures people call chihuahuas in my country.

then i started reading up on the breed, and i really liked what is said of them, like they're not being just shreaky lap dogs, but having lots of character and personality, and being very attached to their owners.

so now i'm saving up and trying to gather information so i can buy a beautiful chihuahua girl from a good breeder that shows, so that my future girl not only looks like those beautiful little sassy things in that show video, but has good health and temperament :)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
it was an accident for me , i had just lost my heart dog who was a mini foxie , im a huge fan of the breed and went in search for another one but couldt find one that fitted what i wanted ( so many byb breeding them :( ) , i had my cousins chihuahua breeder added on face book she put up puppy pics and as soon as i seen a little white chi pop up i messaged her only to be told it was a male but she had an 2 up coming litters due to a white long hair female and a short hair tri female but the tri female had never had light coloured puppies before .
after 2 weeks i got a call on the day of my nannas funeral to say the tri female had had a white puppy the breeder said she was all mine and that it must have been fate :) , i put a deposit on her straight away , at 4 weeks old i got a call to say she had colour coming through and that nearly changed my mind i even started looking for another puppy but once the breeder sent through new pics i new she was mine :) .
my biggest worry was how her personality would be , mini foxies are clever , lively and hypo little dogs and thats what i really wanted i didnt want a dog that just wanted to sit on my lap , i got everything i wanted with keona except for the listening part lol she can be a bit head strong but other than that she is a lively little girl ,never sits still , my next dog will be another chi thats for sure :)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
My first dog was a medium size male mutt that was an inside dog til I moved to Tn. He loved being outside and I always let him in, but he would bring dirt and fleas and get dirty. He lived to 14 and I had to put him to sleep because of severe arthritis. After a year of heavy thinking about what kind of dog I would like, the Taco commercial chi was a big hit, but I thought that chi was the ugliest. I had seen another chi that was cute and I wanted a small dog that I could pack with me wherever I go. I decided I wanted a solid White Female chi puppy, but it had to come from a 1st or 2nd litter. I figured I was being to picky and really wasn't looking (I guess still grieving over my other dog). My birthday rolled around and my dad & brother pulled up in the driveway and asked me to come outside. There sitting on my Dad's White Truck seat was a tiny little solid white chi with a pink nose & pink ears! Could hardly see her because she blended in with the seats. I wrapped her in a blanket (December) & took her to our family holiday get-togethers & everyone thought I had a baby pot-bellied pig because of the pink nose. I don't know why I decided on a chi, but I'm HOOKED!! Not to say I won't own a different breed some day, but I will NEVER go without a chi as long as I live!!! They touch me deeply in ways that no other animal, no other human can ever do!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aw i love these stories!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I never really planned to own a chi. I love the small breeds, but when Lyra came into my life, I already owned six dogs and was fostering for rescue. In fact, Lyra was meant to be a foster, too, that I was going to keep until she could be placed in a forever home. But, she was so tiny and feisty and cuddly, and she was the perfect size to play with Sprite, my Pomeranian with balance issues, that it just became clear that she was meant to stay.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I have always preferred small dogs and when my Pom passed I felt it would be too hard having another Pom, so I started to consider other small breeds and chihuahuas were at the top of my list. I wasn't completely set on the breed though, until I started checking out rescues (just looking with no real intention of adopting one, or so I thought, lol) and saw a pic of Pip and Roo and that was it, I totally fell in love with their little faces. Now I'm completely smitten with the breed. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
At first I was unsure what breed I wanted. I knew I wanted a small dog that could go everywhere with me and I wanted a short hair dog so grooming would be easier. After researching all the small breeds I decided on chihuahuas. Originally I wanted a 3 pound female but upon searching I fell in love with a tri colored chocolate male estimated to be between 4-5 pounds. He went everywhere with me and after I lost him, the only dog I wanted was another chi. I contacted his breeder and she had 2 litters of chi's. the one litter a male and female were from his parents. I chose the female. I now have 3 female chi's and even though I love all dogs, I can not imagine wanting a different breed,

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have admired the breed since 1983 when I had a nice neighbor lady that owned Chihuahuas. I had the blessing of being able to rescue 2 little chi boys at different times throughout the years, the first being Tiny, a short coated tan male who's previous owners wanted to "take him out and shoot him" because he peed in the house once. Tiny was almost 10 when I got him and he lived for 13 years with me. He mad an indelible impact on out whole family. Waffles, on the other hand, was a long coated tan boy who had spent several weeks running wild and scared in the high desert by my home. My daughter enticed him with food and I picked him up and brought him in. Waffles was very timid and only really liked me. He only lived for 3 years after I saved him, but at least he was warm, safe and loved. I lost Tiny in October 2008 and Waffles on Dec. 31, 2008. It was almost too much to take. I felt lost without "my boys." In September of 2009 I got a little bitty red and white girl from a byb, I know that is a no-no, but she was so sweet and feisty and she has grown up to be my darlin' ChiChi. She is the homliest little thing but she is loyal and fierce and quite the companion. I hope to always have a Chi in my life.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Pip was a rescue from a woman who wanted her put down (and if the vet refused, her words were "Or i'll do it myself!") - So I offered the woman £20 for her and her brother.
:( This about made me cry :confused: What is with people? God bless you for taking little baby Pip and the vet too for taking her brother. For every heartless person out there, there is another amazing one like you!

When I was 16 we were living in an appartment at the time and I couldn't have big dogs. Chi's were NOT my first choice, I would have rather had a Huskey, Rott, Pit or Great Dane. I LOVE big dogs...But I knew not even to bother asking because in my head I think dogs deserve space and those big pups didn't deserve to stay in an apartment. At first I didn't want a Chihuahua because ALL my friends and seems like everybody was getting a Chihuahua because of the Taco Bell commercials lol even though I thought they were ADORABLE I just wanted something different. THEN I went online and looked at Small dog breeds and saw a ADORABLE CHOCOLATE Chihuahua my heart sank I thought HOW cute I didn't even realize (Back then) there were so many different color Chis, I only thought the Taco Bell Chis lol Right away I searched more Chis and saw so many cute ones I knew right away too I wanted a black one. That was it!!!​

·
Registered
477 Posts
Why I fell in love with Chihuahuas

Let me tell you why I love Chihuahuas. When my son, Darin, was little, (he's 42 now) he had very bad asthma attacks. Very bad. They started when he was just two months old. He would cough and wheeze, we took him to the doctor constantly. I would sit up with him, sometimes all night. He didn't stay well for any two weeks in a row. I worked and it was very difficult. Thank goodness, I had an understanding boss. I worked with a woman who had a son who also had suffered with bad asthma attacks. She got him a Chihuahua and he didn't have any more attacks. I was apprehensive, to say the least, but Darin was almost five years old by then and the asthma had not improved or lessened. So, I held my breath and gave $20 for a little fawn Chihuahua that I saw in the newspaper. She was four years old, weighed about four pounds, and her name was Chiquita. Darin was thrilled since we couldn't have a dog in the house because he was supposed to be allergic to them. I brought Chiquita home and handed her to Darin. He carried her around all evening and took her to bed with him. I looked in on him and he was sleeping soundly with Chiquita on his pillow. He had his nose pressed into her fur. I was sure he would be in the hospital before morning and I didn't sleep. I really beat myself up and just knew he would have a terrible asthma attack. He didn't. Darin never had another asthma attack after the day I brought Chiquita home. Never. She did not "take" his asthma, never coughed or wheezed. The doctor was amazed, but would not admit that getting a Chihuahua ended Darin's asthma attacks. He said Darin outgrew them. No way, not in one day. Not when he had been getting sick every week or two for years. So, that's how I fell in love with Chihuahuas. I don't know how or why it worked, but it did. I don't tell the story to just anyone. Most people don't believe it, but I'm here to say it's all true. I've had three Chihuahuas since then, my beautiful blue boy, Remington Steal My Heart, my little puppy mill rescue that I lost, Princess Kozanna, and now my gorgeous girl, Lavender. Oh, yeah, I'm a Chi fan! You bet I am!

Jeanette

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Let me tell you why I love Chihuahuas. When my son, Darin, was little, (he's 42 now) he had very bad asthma attacks. Very bad. They started when he was just two months old. He would cough and wheeze, we took him to the doctor constantly. I would sit up with him, sometimes all night. He didn't stay well for any two weeks in a row. I worked and it was very difficult. Thank goodness, I had an understanding boss. I worked with a woman who had a son who also had suffered with bad asthma attacks. She got him a Chihuahua and he didn't have any more attacks. I was apprehensive, to say the least, but Darin was almost five years old by then and the asthma had not improved or lessened. So, I held my breath and gave $20 for a little fawn Chihuahua that I saw in the newspaper. She was four years old, weighed about four pounds, and her name was Chiquita. Darin was thrilled since we couldn't have a dog in the house because he was supposed to be allergic to them. I brought Chiquita home and handed her to Darin. He carried her around all evening and took her to bed with him. I looked in on him and he was sleeping soundly with Chiquita on his pillow. He had his nose pressed into her fur. I was sure he would be in the hospital before morning and I didn't sleep. I really beat myself up and just knew he would have a terrible asthma attack. He didn't. Darin never had another asthma attack after the day I brought Chiquita home. Never. She did not "take" his asthma, never coughed or wheezed. The doctor was amazed, but would not admit that getting a Chihuahua ended Darin's asthma attacks. He said Darin outgrew them. No way, not in one day. Not when he had been getting sick every week or two for years. So, that's how I fell in love with Chihuahuas. I don't know how or why it worked, but it did. I don't tell the story to just anyone. Most people don't believe it, but I'm here to say it's all true. I've had three Chihuahuas since then, my beautiful blue boy, Remington Steal My Heart, my little puppy mill rescue that I lost, Princess Kozanna, and now my gorgeous girl, Lavender. Oh, yeah, I'm a Chi fan! You bet I am!

Jeanette
That's such a wonderful story!! I never knew whether or not to believe stories like that either, but your story sheds new meaning to my belief! I'm an optimist, not a skeptisist, & I know the healing powers of chis.
Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
i have medium breed dogs and whilst i love them i have always wanted a chihuahua.
my dogs are well behaved and i would not leave them unsupervised but i want something small to cuddle and walk without massive muddy paws and slobbery tongues....
i dont like paris hilton and am not a stereotypical blonde with a penchant for pink but i find chi's to be sooo adorable
please do not judge me

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
About 15 years ago, I saw a lady with two tiny chihuahuas in the parking lot of a very exclusive hair salon (no I wasn't going there, I couldn't afford a place like that lol!) I was enchanted, they were LC's and so sweet and little, very well behaved and friendly and completely different than what I'd come to associate with chi looks and behavior. She was very kind to take the time to tell me all about them. I didn't even know chis came with long coats! I swore, then and there, that one day I'd own one, even though I just about fell over when she told me what she paid for them! At that time I was in NO position to get a chihuahua. I had 4 large dogs at home, a bunch of teens in the house with their friends in and out constantly being loud and crazy, I was working very long hours, my marriage was falling apart, and it just wasn't the time.

Fast forward 15 years to 3 years ago. Very different life, kids grown and gone, marriage over, and so I started looking. But I've always gotten my animals from rescue organizations, the humane society, the pound, just wherever you find unwanted dogs, and it was important to me to continue that. I was looking for an LC of course, because that's what I'd fallen in love with way back when.

But the heart knows what the heart knows it seems, and when I saw Tango for the first time, that was it! :love4: Not an LC, not the color I wanted, very timid, a little snappy and growly, but none of that mattered! The connection was instant, and his looks became VERY secondary to what I felt, and I knew that with lots of love and training, I could deal with the behavioral problems, which problems were not surprising considering what he came from....another story for another time. ;)

Anyway, he's perfect now, a perfect gentleman, the sweetest dog you could ever hope to meet. And of course, as it goes when you own a chihuahua, it wasn't long before I wanted a second one. ;) Again, I was looking for an LC, plus I wanted an adult, but into my path instead stepped Jazz, a tiny little eleven week old SC, very sick, very badly taken care of, and about to be put to sleep because her owner couldn't bother paying the pet deposit required in her new apartment. :( Yeah, I know, don't EVEN get me started!! :mad: :mad:

I have two dogs now, neither of which look anything like what I was looking for, and yet I've discovered that they're still EXACTLY what I wanted! :hello1:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Why I fell in love with Chihuahuas

That's such a wonderful story!! I never knew whether or not to believe stories like that either, but your story sheds new meaning to my belief! I'm an optimist, not a skeptisist, & I know the healing powers of chis.
Thanks for sharing!!
We had tried everything else, so I was ready to take a chance, being an optimist, too. It's still the best $20 I ever spent!

Jeanette

·
Registered
477 Posts
"I have two dogs now, neither of which look anything like what I was looking for, and yet I've discovered that they're still EXACTLY what I wanted!"

That's just the way it is when you fall in love! Getting teary here and sentimental.

Jeanette

·
Registered
166 Posts
These stories are wonderful! :) Ok, for my history of the love for Chihuahuas. I've always loved dogs, growing up with small and large. I never wanted a Chihuahua, because I felt they were way too fragile. I preferred the medium to large dogs that I could rough house and play with, without the fear of accidentally hurting them. My favorite breeds had always been the herding dogs. In doing rescue work for many years, we had the opportunity to share our lives with most other breeds, including a few Chihuahuas. During that time, my heart dog, a Miniature Schnauzer, was still alive so I never even considered adopting the Chis. Willow and Wizard have changed my outlook so much. When I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, it was horribly depressing. I had been dealing with medical problems for years, but to finally have a name to the problem, and one that has no cure...well, it was almost unbearable. Not only was it depressing to know, but it was like a slap in the face, because I knew that my time with the activity level of the herding dogs was over. I just can't handle them like I used to. I still love them, but it's hard to be around them without being able to work the same way. Anyway, we took Wizard in, as a rescue. He was extremely thin to the point of feeling every bone in his body and even being able to see the outline of most of them very clearly. He instantly took up with us and started sleeping under the blankets at my knees. We then found out about Willow and took her in. She has been the one to really grab my heart for this breed. She's always with me and if I sit down, she'll lay across my neck and shoulders. Not only does her body heat ease the pain, but having her with me is so calming. She has taught me so much and I just love her. I can't explain the feeling that she gives me, but I'm sure most of you know what I'm trying to say and can understand. :) Both of our Chis are young, so I pray that we'll have many many years to come with them. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts